I'm in a four piece band (keys & vox, bass, guitar, drums) but I would like to be able to play solos and leads over the guitar rhythm.

I've seen that Trey Anastasio uses the Boomerang + and it seems to work really well for the purposes I described.

My question is, what is a good intuitive looper for playing live (under $300)?

I like the rang + a lot with the volume wheel and such, I don't mind if its rack or floor as long as it can be foot controlled and can fade.
I used a Boss RC20XL and it worked quite well for me til it burned out after a couple years. I'm currently using a tc flashback x4 and love it even more but the looper bout the same. I'm not currently gigging but I'm sure it would work just as well.

Couldn't you find a used Boomerang in budget?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm in the same struggle you're in

I think the DL4 is the best on the market at the moment when it comes to live playing. Nothing beats it. Period.
In live performances, things aren't always the same tempo over and over and over...there should be, but again, not always. And god forbid you mess up the loop LIVE. Loops aren't the easiest thing to fix on the go especially in the middle of some crazy solo you just started getting into.
So, whenever I may have messed up, I can just play the recording again on the "ONE" beat. Just keep hitting it on the loop's one.
It's called the Play Once function. The Flashback X4 has it, but it does it differently than the DL4. With the flashback, you can hit it mid loop, and it just ends the loop at it's last note. If you hit it again, nothing happens. However, the DL4 allows you to hit the once button mid loop, and then if you hit it again, it goes straight back to the first note of the loop. Say you're playing a simple progression:
A A A A E E E E
If you keep hitting the Play Once function, it then just sounds like
A AAAA A AAA AA a AAA aA A a A
Or however the hell fast you wanna push it

It's incredibly handy.
Line 6 also made an M9, which basically combines the awesomeness with the Flashback X4 with the DL4.
However, there are no pedals that satisfy me, so I'm having my physics-loving drummer make me one

Oh, and the DL4 is an awesome delay pedal as well
If you like making crazy, psychoactive sounds, you'll love the DL4
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
I'm in a four piece band (keys & vox, bass, guitar, drums) but I would like to be able to play solos and leads over the guitar rhythm.

My question is, what is a good intuitive looper for playing live (under $300)?

What you have to decide is exactly what features you *really* need on a looper. Important that you have half an hour of looper time? Do you *really* need four separate loops going at once?

You've seen this site, right?

http://looperpedalreviews.com/boomerang-iii-looper-pedal/

And ohbytheway, teach your keyboard player to play guitar rhythm <G>.
I've been there, the problem is I can't test out a lot of these as they aren't readily carried around here. Haha and our keyboard player can play guitar rhythm we just like to have counter melodies and arpeggiated chords while still having a lead.

I really only need about a minute or so of looping, don't really need overdubs, and really only need one loop going at once, only to change for different parts of the song, but it might be useful to have around 4 minutes.

Anyone have experience with the VDL1? It makes me think of a more compact Boomerang