I wanted an autowah pedal, but then I realized the Guyatone Wah Rocker 3 was $350 . Are there any good autowahs for under $100?
Electro-Harmonix has the Q-Tron and Dr. Q which are around that price. The Line 6 one is rather good, you could get a used M5 unit for $100 and have a bunch of other effects thrown in.
Autowahs suck. You must suffer like the rest of us and use a real wah pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

I have a real wah pedal. And why do autowahs suck?
It is a question of control. I am sure many guys like them, I just never bonded with them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've got both, they don't really cover the same ground for me. I use the autowah for a mellow funk pulse that would be obnoxious or difficult to do consistently with a foot pedal. The conventional wah doesn't like being very subtle, so the auto-wah lets you be a little more gentle with the effect.

This is the sort of way I'd use an auto-wah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvLxOSxl35A
Electro Harmonix also has The Worm, which has an auto-wah as well. I prefer it over the Micro-Q I originally tried because it acts more as a timed wah pattern, rather than adding wah to every note as you play it (Not sure I've made that make sense!)

I always use an auto wah because using a normal one has never felt natural to me, but the Worm pedal has the option to add an expression pedal so you can switch it between auto & manual modes.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Cathbard

made me laugh. tried a few over the years and found that they are just not very expressive and of course you kinda have to be careful about picking dynamics to get them to work. as mentioned for funk and other light applications they are effective.
Quote by monwobobbo
made me laugh. tried a few over the years and found that they are just not very expressive and of course you kinda have to be careful about picking dynamics to get them to work. as mentioned for funk and other light applications they are effective.

I have tried some autowahs (the ones that work with every note) and I really enjoy how much fun they make dynamic picking. Also because I need one for my jazz fusion/funk rock band. Guthrie Govan's style of slapping is very interested as well, displayed from the beginning of the video to about 1:15.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H43qtMmgeVU(Invalid youtube)