Im still fairly new to guitar, and i got a basic fender mim strat. I got a fender mustang I modeling amp that sounds awesome(prob not on high output, but thats fine because i just play my guitar in my room for the fun of it) Its only around 20watts i think though. Well, i want best for my sounds on my guitar and i read how awesome seymour duncans are. Theres the jazz neck pup & the jb bridge. Now i heard that there usually a waste of.money because if you play on a low watt modeling amp then theres no point really. It seems that both those pups go hand in hand so i could either
1) get both the jazz & jb
2) get jazz only (read that jb has a sound of its own and and is only for certain players)
3) get none because it wouldnt work out well
I play mostly blues and classic rock
So let me.know what you guy think
Thanks!
Hey dude. Welcome to UG.

I started out with a MIM strat and Fender modeling amp (GDEC).

Generally speaking it is safe to say that spending money on pickups with a low end modeling amp is a waste of money.

Now, that said - I think there is merit in upgrading your pickups if you are otherwise generally happy with your set up. Do you have a HSS or SSS strat?

The humbucker in the HSS MIM strat is pretty lousy so I replaced with a Duncan TB-11. (Custom Custom). Great pickup.

What I did was call Duncan's 800# and ask them what would work best for what I am looking for. They are great and even offered to advance swap me the TB11 for the JB I bought at GC. Don't get a JB. Do make sure you get a Trembucker (TB) version of whatever you end up with . A TB-5 or TB-11 or even and Alt 8 would work great.

There are other great brands out there too like DiMarzio, GHS, Bare Knuckle, etc.
Hey man, thanks for the fast response. Its just a (3) single coil setup and yah im happy with my setup but would love to hear it go further. So your saying is dont get those new pickups? I was thinking just going for the jazz necks cause $50 is not that big of a deal but if it would literally do little, then im not going to buy it.
Isnt a single coil called a jr right? Im guessing the sound wouldnt be as good if its all just in a single coil opposed to the 2 on the humbucker.. or am i totally just off?
Put the money into your amp fund.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^he's new to guitar and the mustang is a new amp so I'm assuming it is new

Not an expert here in pickups (and Cathbard gigs so listen to his wisdom)

They do make a Jazz Junior (JR) to fit a single coil slot.

Whether or not it will SOUND BETTER etc is subjective. The Jazz neck is a classic humbucker design that works well for cleans/jazz/rock but is a humbucking tone. A bit fuzzier maybe - hotter sounding. A strait single coil neck will be cleaner and brighter and will work well also. You just need to figure out what type of overall tone you want for the neck.

I just didn't want you going out and buying a standard sized Jazz pickup and then trying to figure out how to fit it in

(there are several different ways to stack pickups and they are called different things and can be configured differently too)

Some people like texas specials and some like alnico II and some like other things. I have a Jazz humbucker in the neck of my current schecter 'metal' Drop C guitar and it rocks there. Clean and grit just depending on how you dig.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 15, 2013,
Haha yah ill go for that single coil, i get what you meaning having to configure it with the middle and all. I do feel i need a better amp but i love the accessibility of the different tones and all, it just makes it everything easier.
Quote by stratmannewb
Im still fairly new to guitar, and i got a basic fender mim strat. I got a fender mustang I modeling amp that sounds awesome(prob not on high output, but thats fine because i just play my guitar in my room for the fun of it) Its only around 20watts i think though. Well, i want best for my sounds on my guitar and i read how awesome seymour duncans are. Theres the jazz neck pup & the jb bridge. Now i heard that there usually a waste of.money because if you play on a low watt modeling amp then theres no point really.

Honestly, I'm not a that much of a fan of the Jazz and JB pickups in person. If my only experience with them had been what I read on the internet, I'd have had a higher opinion <G>.

I think it's a waste of money to simply chuck some pickups at a guitar that you really know nothing about (in person). I *also* think it's a waste of time to swap out pickups if you're just sitting in your bedroom with a low watt modeling amp. There may be a difference, but you won't know if you've really improved your guitar or not because...well...low watt modeling amp in a bedroom.

I have a guitar whose sound really wasn't all that great with a modeler and cheap headphones. I actually bought new pickups for it and had them on the shelf ready to go in when I made time to do so. Before that happened, I took the guitar along (actually, by accident) to a sound check and tried it out through a serious PA system. Those pickups are staying.
Yah makes sense, thanks for your guys inputs. Ill just stick to the stock SSS, which arent bad, but over time i just might get the seymour jazz neckjr. just for the hell of it
Quote by dspellman
Honestly, I'm not a that much of a fan of the Jazz and JB pickups in person. If my only experience with them had been what I read on the internet, I'd have had a higher opinion <G>.

I think it's a waste of money to simply chuck some pickups at a guitar that you really know nothing about (in person). I *also* think it's a waste of time to swap out pickups if you're just sitting in your bedroom with a low watt modeling amp. There may be a difference, but you won't know if you've really improved your guitar or not because...well...low watt modeling amp in a bedroom.

I have a guitar whose sound really wasn't all that great with a modeler and cheap headphones. I actually bought new pickups for it and had them on the shelf ready to go in when I made time to do so. Before that happened, I took the guitar along (actually, by accident) to a sound check and tried it out through a serious PA system. Those pickups are staying.

modellers especially the cheaper ones have a problem picking up on subtle nuances of pickups and tend to see them all pretty much the same. I have a couple of strats one with regular single coils and one with lace sensors and honestly when recording with my POD I can make them sound the same with only very tiny adjustments. on my tube amps there is a huge difference in sound. as cathbard said get a better amp. in the mean time you can spend time with your amps eq etc and really work out different tones. you may be surprised as to what is there if you put in the effort.