Poll: Where do your strings break?
Poll Options
View poll results: Where do your strings break?
Bridge
17 68%
Nut
1 4%
String Retainer
2 8%
Machine Heads
2 8%
Tailpiece
0 0%
Other (please specify)
3 12%
Voters: 25.
So I've only owned three electric guitars:
A Squire Strat
An Ibanez RG350DX
And now a Fender Jazzmaster

I've only really seriously begun breaking strings a lot since I've gotten my Jazzmaster. Part of the reason may be cause I am good enough to play with soul and wail, but I'm thinking another part of it could be the fact that something is wrong with my bridge...

My strings always break right at the bridge.

Where do your strings break?
As well as other you should have random.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
How often do you break strings? If you put a new set on they should last a couple weeks at the least, and thats assuming you're playing quite a bit. My strings have always broken at or near the bridge though, and thats from several different guitars.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

should have "at gigs" as an option....cause god knows thats the only time it ever happens to me ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
oh and to the TS.... you should a have a o look at your bridge ....more to the point the saddles for correct cut grooves, sharp edges and and "burs"...having the grooves recut, if they are way, off should be done by a luthier but otherwise next time you restring, just drag the old string back and forth in the slot to remove burs and sharp edges....even a small file will do the trick, use the file diagonally across the back of the saddles too removing any burs that stick out and then restring using grafite or home made "pencil lead and vaseline mix". This will minimize friction and should stop your string breakage
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Blackst4r
should have "at gigs" as an option....cause god knows thats the only time it ever happens to me ;-)
Aint that the truth?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Blackst4r
oh and to the TS.... you should a have a o look at your bridge ....more to the point the saddles for correct cut grooves, sharp edges and and "burs"...having the grooves recut, if they are way, off should be done by a luthier but otherwise next time you restring, just drag the old string back and forth in the slot to remove burs and sharp edges....even a small file will do the trick, use the file diagonally across the back of the saddles too removing any burs that stick out and then restring using grafite or home made "pencil lead and vaseline mix". This will minimize friction and should stop your string breakage

nah man, I've already checked the saddles, and they're beautiful. It might just be my bridge style?
It has no burrs. I did the q-tip trick on it, which I would assume would find some sort of sharpness, but nothing. Smooth as a new guitar.

I bought a new stainless steel bridge for about $150, and it was breaking my high e a lot. Like, way to much. But I have the bridge set the incorrect way and it works pretty well now, because I've been wailing a good amount these past couple weeks and my strings have stayed alive...until my session tonight

But nonetheless, when they break, they always break at the bridge
Quote by Blackst4r

So much truth in this post. Over the past 9 years of playing I've never broken a string, except during the last few gigs. Even a low E on my bass...

As for your problem, maybe you're using a gauge that's too low for your playing style? I know that if I were playing .09's I would break them within seconds, while .012's stay alive.
I've gone 3 years of playing so far, and haven't broken a string. Hopefully I can continue this trend.
My strings don't break.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by SunshineMusicO

I've only really seriously begun breaking strings a lot since I've gotten my Jazzmaster. Part of the reason may be cause I am good enough to play with soul and wail, but I'm thinking another part of it could be the fact that something is wrong with my bridge...

My strings always break right at the bridge.

This is usually an indication that you may have a burr or sharp edge somewhere on your bridge. Have a good tech take a look; folks that have LPs will often find that their bridge saddles develop these burrs and that their strings break not because they're bending, but because the bend pushes the string against these burrs and that abrades and eventually cuts them. I've even seen this happening with "barrel" type saddles. A bit of work and the problem disappears. And BTW, the Q-Tip trick doesn't always find the burrs.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 15, 2013,
How long do you keep your strings on the guitar and what brand are they?

BTW, strings age inside the packets; a friend of mine on a Mediterranean island bought some strings that had apparently been at the dealer's a while and found that they broke VERY often. I sent him some Dean Markley cryo strings that were fresh and the breakage stopped.
Nowhere. Ever. I use every gauge on my guitars from 8s to 12s. Sometimes I use a very light fingerstyle, sometimes I am actively out to inflict damage to my strings playing all sorts of modern metal.

What the hell are you guys doing that breaking strings is just a fact of life?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
They don't...probably broken 2 stings in 8 years.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Im having trouble remembering my last string break in 10 years..

Then again i did snap a bass string at school about 5/6 years ago..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I don't break strings often, but if i break the same spot, i diagnose the issue. Most of the strings i do break do so randomly.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Only time I've ever broken a string is when I used a string winder on the tuning peg and wasn't paying attention. Never broken one from use, as far as I can remember... And I have guitars that haven't had strings changed in like 6 months
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I went 18 years without breaking a string of a particular brand. Two other brands would break at random times (first few days to a couple weeks). Maybe try another brand if your bridge is ok.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude