Page 1 of 2
I was looking at the 65AMPS online and they were all 18 to 22 watts and expensive 1800.00 to 2500.00 dollars.What is the advantage of low watts and can they keep up with a 100 watt amp?I just find it hard to pay that much for 22 watts when I can get 100 or more for the same price or less.
The advantage of low watt amps is that they're easier to use at home, since it's easier to make them quiet if you want to, and easier to use playing out in the streets(if you have access to a plug-in, of course), since they're not too heavy.

However, in general, high watt amps are always going to be better for live playing, especially in large venues(like clubs, stadiums and such), because they are more powerful, louder, and often have better sound, effects and equalizer.
Last edited by Rocknrolla35 at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by Rocknrolla35
The advantage of low watt amps is that they're easier to use at home, since it's easier to make them quiet if you want to, and easier to use playing out in the streets(if you have access to a plug-in, of course), since they're not too heavy.

However, in general, high watt amps are always going to be better for live playing, especially in large venues(like clubs, stadiums and such), because they are more powerful, louder, and often have better sound, effects and equalizer.

No, not really

The advantages of low wattage amps is:
1) they can reach power tube break-up at lower volumes than a 100 watt amp, but they are still very loud amps
2) they can be lighter
3) some amps are only available in low wattage amps (and vice versa)

And part 2 is just totally wrong. A small amp will sound huge in a big venue, because it will be run through a PA. Ever heard of a small band called Queen? Yeah that guy Brian May used nothing but Vox AC30 amps, go tell him his tone isn't as good as a 100 watt amp would be. And besides a good modeling pre-amp, most amps with built-in FX are not what I'd gig with.

TS when looking at amps like 65 amps and other boutique companies you are paying more for build quality, name and prestige of owning one. Lots of high-end amps also come with a life time warranty on all parts except tubes and speakers
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rocknrolla35

Absolutely nothing here is true.

Some low wattage amps can be good for home use, but for the most part they're actually WORSE at home than a high wattage amp. Low wattage amps are usually designed with power tube break up in mind and in order for that to actually happen they still have to be turned up VERY loud.

Higher wattage amps on the other hand are usually designed more for clean headroom at very loud volumes and they usually derive most of their game from the preamp stage which is much less dependent on volume.

That said don't think about it as more watts = better. It doesn't work that way. It's a question of what kind of tone do you want. High wattage amps can't give you the same tone that a low wattage amp can, and low wattage amps can't give you the same tone that a high wattage amp can.

And by the way... Those 65 Amps are absolutely worth the asking price.
Quote by telejojo
What is the advantage of low watts and can they keep up with a 100 watt amp?

Story time: I used to have a 20 watt tube head with a 2x12 cabinet. I played a show with two other bands that had 100 watt marshalls/mesa boogies with 4x12 cabs for a show with about 50-70 people. My amp's volume didn't need to be above 9 o'clock for our set, and the other guys' amps were so loud the soundman left the board and turned down the amps onstage while they were still playing.

So, the question shouldn't be "Will a 20 watt amp 'keep up' with a 100 watt amp" as much as it should be "Is 100 watts too much for my needs?"

You could buy a 100 watt head and just leave the volume at 1, but it's just overkill. If you can only work your volume between "0" and "2" without blowing the neighbours away, you can't really work out your sound efficiently. You're either stuck being uncomfortably loud for what you're trying to do, or it's slightly too quiet fo you to hear properly. With a lower wattage amp, you get a bit more workable room with the volume so you can hear the little things without shaking the roof.

That's why I like lower watt (10-20) amps as an all-around home/jam/gigging amp. If you're playing a gig, it will give you enough headroom to have a basic clean slate to build your sound, especially if you're miked. And it's not too loud that you can still get that power amp breakup if you want.

Another part of the price/watts confusion is that the price is not always a reflection of how loud an amp can get. Different amps have different sounds. This is due to the value of the components in the circuit, the circuit's design, the build quality, etc. Because of this, certain sounds are easier to get out of a 20 watt amp than a 100 watt amp, and vice versa. Most of the time, it has to do with how the power section is being driven. Some people like the sound, other people don't, and there are reasons for both opinions.

Preamp breakup yields tighter and more defined distortion. Power amp breakup adds compression and warmth while reducing tightness, especially in the low end. The advantage of a 100 watt amp if that the power section does not break up as easily, so you can push your preamp section for preamp gain, while your power amp remains undriven.

On the other side of the coin, you can crank a 5w amp to drive its power section at a relativeley low volume. It's still quite loud (comparable to a loud car/motorcycle), but it's manageable. Try and do that with a 100 watt amp, and you better have a 100ft cable or really good earmuffs.

TL;DR: 100 watts is overkill for anyone other than Eric Johnson or Ted Nugent. If you're playing at home most fo the time and occasionally jamming, stick to the 5-15 watt side of things. If you're gigging, look into the 20-30 watt range. I hope this helped answer your question.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

TL;DR: 100 watts is overkill for anyone other than Eric Johnson or Ted Nugent. If you're playing at home most fo the time and occasionally jamming, stick to the 5-15 watt side of things. If you're gigging, look into the 20-30 watt range. I hope this helped answer your question.

WTF are you smoking?
Some amp are only available as 100 watt amps.

No you don't need the power most likely but it's the only way to get some sounds
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
WTF are you smoking?
Some amp are only available as 100 watt amps.

No you don't need the power most likely but it's the only way to get some sounds

Give me an example of a sound you just cannot get without a 100 watt amp. I mean, Jimmy Page got some of his biggest tones from tiny 5-15 watt combos in the studio. Layla was recorded with a Champ. Most metal guys are getting their tones from preamps going into some cabinet modeller going right into the soundboard/PA.

IMO, 95% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between solid state and tube if they just heard it, so it's laughable to say that you can't approximate this one certain sound without this one particular amp. It's asinine and it's been a marketing gimmick that amp companies have been using for years to get people to buy stupidly unuseable amps for home use or any gig thats not in a stadium.

I'm not saying that you can sound like a Plexi stack with a 1x10 solid state combo from Korea, but you can get close the sound of a 100 watt amp out of a decent 20-30 watt amp with a good cab. Maybe not the feeling of having your bowels voided by a sonic enema, but the sound should be close. It's more about the circuit design than the size of the power section.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Show me a low wattage alternative to the Bogner Uberschall, Soldano SLO, Laney VH100r, Marshall JCM800, Peavey JSX, Mesa Mark series, Splawn Nitro, Diezel VH4, Hiwatt. I can go on, do you want me to?

Fact is just because you deem it overkill to many it is not and they are footing the bill not you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@ Jhachey22:

I tried a 100 watt JCM2000 halfstack in a store and it wasn't an overkill at all, same with a 50 watt ENGL Screamer halfstack. Both of them sounded good at bedroom levels (and I bet my bedroom level is quieter than yours). Of course it's an overkill if you crank it up but you don't need to crank it up. I don't think wattage has that much to do with low volume sounds. And as Robbgnarly said, I would actually expect a higher wattage amp (30+ watts) to sound better at low volumes than a low wattage amp (<20 watts) because usually low wattage amps are designed power tube breakup in mind. Also, usually lower wattage amps have less features. High wattage amps on the other hand usually come with lots of features like multiple channels and individual controls for each channel. Lower wattage amps usually have one, sometimes two channels, a volume control (not necessarily even master volume) and some tone controls (not always a three band EQ). And many times they are one trick ponies. I'm not saying that they don't sound good, they just don't have any variety (though if you don't need variety, so what - I'm pretty happy with the sound my Laney VC30 does and I never change my settings).

And as somebody said, you just can't find lower wattage versions of some amps. And no, you won't get a sound of a 5150 from a Vox AC15. Totally different amps. Of course the sound doesn't have that much to do with the wattage but try finding a low wattage 5150. There isn't one.

Nobody said you need 100 watts. Actually it was quite the opposite what people said - even 5 watts cranked is really loud for home use.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Robbgnarly
Show me a low wattage alternative to the Bogner Uberschall, Soldano SLO, Laney VH100r, Marshall JCM800, Peavey JSX, Mesa Mark series, Splawn Nitro, Diezel VH4, Hiwatt. I can go on, do you want me to?

Any one of these preamps http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=modifications into a Randall RM20 head with a good cab. You can swap out the power amp tubes for any variant you want to get closer to the sound you're trying to acheive.

Quote by Robbgnarly
Fact is just because you deem it overkill to many it is not and they are footing the bill not you

It has nothing to do with money, just common sense. I have a Mark III and live in an apartment. I can use it, but only with the volume between 0-2. Any louder, and neighbours complain. I got the amp for live shows because I practice with my band regularly and gig every so often. I wouldn't have it if I didn't need the headroom and separate channels for that application.

Before I got the Mesa, I had an Egnater Rebel 20 that I used for practicing/shows with the band. Because of some of the features it had, it was easier to work with in an appartment. If I didn't need the separate channel and the added headroom for some of the stuff I was doing with the band, I wouldn't have gotten the Mesa.

I can get the same kind of sounds of of both amps. Not 100%, flawlessly identical tones, but in the same ballpark of the sounds I'm looking for, and it's no contest which one is better for playing at home. If I wasn't jamming/gigging, it'd be stupid of me to keep the Mesa when I could sell it, and get a setup that's more suited to my needs.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
i'll just saw 'wow' at a couple of the opinions on here. there is some pretty misleading info in this thread.

i'll try to address things on a more practical level (dunno if i'll succeed or not)

Quote by telejojo
I was looking at the 65AMPS online and they were all 18 to 22 watts and expensive 1800.00 to 2500.00 dollars. can they keep up with a 100 watt amp?I just find it hard to pay that much for 22 watts when I can get 100 or more for the same price or less.

your not paying for watts so much, most of those numbers are pretty much guesses and averages anyway. beyond that, with as much held constant as [im]possible a 100 watt amp only gets ~6.5 dB or ~1.5 times louder than a 22 watt amp. not as different as you'd think in terms of volume.

can a 22 watt amp keep up with a 100 watt amp just fine? sure, for the most part. though i'd say placement of the amp/cabinet, configuration of the speaker cabinet and speaker selection have much more influence than just raw amp power output ratings.

what are the advantages? depends on what yer going after. there are differences though

small amps tend to have less tubes, different kinds of tubes (which are usually cheaper to use), smaller output transformers (which generally cost less), and even smaller or less number of speakers (which cost less). many times, because of the fewer amount of components (tubes, speakers) and cheaper components (like the OT and tubes), these amps will be sold for less money.

like a fender RI deluxe reverb vs a fender RI twin reverb. they are fairly similar circuits and use similar production techniques and parts, but the deluxe has less speakers, less power tubes, a smaller OT and a smaller cabinet. this results in the amp costing about 400 bucks less than the twin (deluxe is about 70% the cost of a twin).

certain amps, like a epiphone valve jr., go a step further and run fairly cheap component (and efficient production process) to drop the price even more allowing for very stripped down and streamlined tube amps that can be sold for a bargain price (like ~200 or 300 bucks compared to that fender deluxe RI's price of 1050).

then again, there are amps like Dr. Z or 65 amps that will use more top-of-the-line components, generous design practices, and less efficient processes (like a good QA program or less automated production techniques) to produce 'boutique' low watt amps.

lets compare something like a 100 watt boutique amp to a 25 watt boutique amp:

65 amps stone pony 1x12 combo - 3300 usd
soldano SLO100 w/ 4x12 - 4200 + 1000 = 5200 usd

so the deluxe costs ~70% of a twin, and the 65 amps costs ~65% of a soldano. so really, when you do more of an comparison within the price range you'll find the price kinda matches up.

when you buy boutique, you aren't just paying for "watts".

What is the advantage of low watts?

also, just to put my two cents worth in. i don't find 'small' amps better for playing at home, and for the most part you can generally make them work live at a bar (or in a bigger venue, with a PA).

the big difference i find is the response to volume. because smaller amps use smaller tubes with a much different response (like EL84's and 6V6) your power tube saturation becomes more of a factor in your tone.

also, these smaller amps have smaller OT's, which can get pretty squishy pretty quick. they have their own kinda response that can be quite favorable to the 'big steel' you find in monsters like a soldano SL100.

since smaller amps generally only have one speaker (usually with a lower power handling rating) then you can also usually get a pretty good speaker distortion sound from these amps a bit better. of course if you using a 20 watt amps with a 2x12 with V30's then this is not gonna be the case, but a 20 watt amp with a single greenback will sound pretty colorful on the speaker side of tone.

these are the reasons i run lower wattage amps at times.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 15, 2013,
But not everyone wants an RM they do sound good, but they still are not 100% and besides some people want the real amp. And some of those amps are only available in higher wattage.

I have a JCM DSL100 my band played fri night and I was using over 1/2 on my master volume. My 20 watt Krank 1980 although loud as hell, can not get to those volume levels.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly, are we the only two people in this threat who aren't totally insane?

Quote by Jhachey22
Give me an example of a sound you just cannot get without a 100 watt amp. I mean, Jimmy Page got some of his biggest tones from tiny 5-15 watt combos in the studio. Layla was recorded with a Champ. Most metal guys are getting their tones from preamps going into some cabinet modeller going right into the soundboard/PA.

I've never heard anything aside from my Mark V that sounds or FEELS like my Mark V. I've never heard anything other than a Dual Rectifier that sounds or feels like a DR. I've never heard anything other than a Bogner Ecstasy that sounds or feels like an Ecstasy. I've never heard anything that sounds or feels like a 100 watt Plexi other than... Yes you guessed it a 100 watt Plexi.

Personally I hate low wattage amps. I hate the way most of them feel, I hate the way most of them sound when I play them. So I play amps with 50-100 watts. I play these amps in small rooms with only a hand full of people, I play these amps in large rooms packed with people, I play these amps in my bedroom at 11pm at night without waking my neighbor baby despite the ridiculously thin wall that separates my den from their bedroom. I always get exactly the tone I want, and I always get plenty of compliments on my tone.

My point... Your argument is ridiculous. What you NEED is an amp capable of generating the sound you want that feels the way you want it to. There is so much more going on than just how far you can turn the volume dial.

By the way... As far as low wattage amps goes... I've owned 6 ranging from 10-30 watts. Only one of them was playable at home. The rest were too loud.
Thanks everybody for the input I play at home and a few blues jams and the only thing I know about amps is that one is tube and the other is solid state and I can't tell much difference in the sound I doubt a 5000 dollar amp will make me sound any better than a 500 dollar would.
as some others have said - quite simply, the design, layout, features, and tones of a boutique small wattage amp is different.

perhaps for a blues guy, you just want 1 channel, and a certain design that will yeild a tone NO 100 watt amp will provide. this is because amps of different wattages allow you to do different things by manipulating the headroom. many of the most expensive amps ever made are single channel, low wattage amps.

i know a guy who is a career gigging musician. he invested in about a $4000 dollar, 1x12, 15 watt amp.

why? i acked him. 1, he mics it up. never needs the volume if hes going through the PA, 2, the small wattage allows him to get the tone he wants, not higher wattage 3, it is a 100% hand made, hand wired amp of the highest quality, will probably last him a lifetime, and is the foundation that he makes a living on.

side factor - its a small amp that he sets on a barstool onstage, so that the amp is up at his chest level...it probably sounds really great up so high despite being so small (opposed to a large amp set on the ground).
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by icronic
Robbgnarly, are we the only two people in this threa[d] who aren't totally insane?

yer the one who seems to be getting pretty upset about a discussion on amp power ratings on the internet. that sounds mildly insane to me.

i mean, dave is just sitting there eating popcorn while watching the angry people, Mr. Marine didn't seem incredibly disturbed, and i thought my post was fairly accurate and impartial. i know ikey posted after that, but his post seems pretty grounded too.

seems to be your main problem has to do with Mr. Hackey's opinion. just say you disagree, state your opinion and move on.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 15, 2013,

I'm really surprised this thread hasn't been closed yet . Most pointless thing ever. This is like arguing why I should buy a brand new Ford V6 instead of a V8 Windsor

It's just a design difference. Some tones come from the power section breaking up, whereas others come from the preamp or both being totally clean. Different flavors of amps
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Jhachey22

IMO, 95% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between solid state and tube if they just heard it, so it's laughable to say that you can't approximate this one certain sound without this one particular amp. It's asinine and it's been a marketing gimmick that amp companies have been using for years to get people to buy stupidly unuseable amps for home use or any gig thats not in a stadium.

I'm not saying that you can sound like a Plexi stack with a 1x10 solid state combo from Korea, but you can get close the sound of a 100 watt amp out of a decent 20-30 watt amp with a good cab. Maybe not the feeling of having your bowels voided by a sonic enema, but the sound should be close. It's more about the circuit design than the size of the power section.
David Gimour
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
David Gimour

Who is that

Oh Gilmour
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by gumbilicious

yer the one who seems to be getting pretty upset about a discussion on amp power ratings on the internet. that sounds mildly insane to me.

Ok, you've got me. For some reason I misread some of the names and thought it was more than just 2 people offering up bad advice.

I'm not angry, but this particular topic does annoy me, simply because of all the differences between a 100 and a 10 watt amp the difference in volume is probably the smallest. Yet so many people will steer people away from high wattage amps because you don't "need" one unless you're playing stadiums. Which in itself is a silly thing to say because you can use a Blues Jr or a Tiny Terror in a stadium just as easily as you can use a 5150.

So then you get a new guitarist asking "what amp do I buy" and says he wants to get tones that are typically created by 100 watt amps, yet gets steered away from those amps because they're too loud. So instead he goes out and wastes his money on a 20 watt amp which can't do what he wants.

Partly it's my own stupidity too. For the first 5-6 years of playing guitar I listened to the people who told me not to get a 100 watt amp because they were too loud and because they were overkill. So I stayed away and burnt my money on at least 8 amps between 18-40 watts. Hated them all.

Quote by telejojo
Thanks everybody for the input I play at home and a few blues jams and the only thing I know about amps is that one is tube and the other is solid state and I can't tell much difference in the sound I doubt a 5000 dollar amp will make me sound any better than a 500 dollar would.

"Better" is subjective. If your $500 amp provides you with the tone that you want then you really have no need for a $5000 amp. For some people it makes all the difference in the world, for other people a Blues Jr and a few Boss pedals are all they'll ever need to sound great.
Quote by icronic
So then you get a new guitarist asking "what amp do I buy" and says he wants to get tones that are typically created by 100 watt amps, yet gets steered away from those amps because they're too loud.

even more frustrating is the fact that a person looking for an amp could figure that out pretty quickly if he just played the amp instead of asking advice about it. they'd find out pretty quickly that it is not unreasonable to play a 100 watt amp at reasonable volumes.

we have master volumes now, for the most part they do a good job at handling an amp's volume.

Quote by Cathbard
David Gimour

didn't gilmour also use deluxes at times?

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 16, 2013,
telejojo - do you want to buy an amp?

If so, follow this and we'll help you find something that suits you best. If it is not abundantly obvious, do not get too hung up on number of watts an amp is rated at. Focus on the quality and the tones the amp is designed to create.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by icronic
Ok, you've got me. For some reason I misread some of the names and thought it was more than just 2 people offering up bad advice.

I agree with you. I just thought it was funnier (not to mention more relaxing) to sit back and watch this unfold.

I have 100 watt amps and I have 5 watt amps. I have to run the master at the exact same spot (or near as dammit, anyway) to get down to "sensible" home practice volumes.

You're not using a 5 watter to any more of its "potential"* than a 100 watter at most normal home volumes (and I can play louder at home than most).

QED.

* The whole "potential" thing is a silly argument/red herring anyway, if you ask me, what matters is whether the thing sounds good and does what you want, not whether you're using it to some arbitrary percentage of its potential where you somehow justify owning it. But I can still use that argument against its proponents to show that, even using their own argument, they're still wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 16, 2013,
I don't need a 400+ HP car, but its fun as hell to drive.

Oh yeah merry Christmas to me. 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner 440 six pack. It gets 8 MPG
Attachments:
002.jpg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

For a lot of metal and hard rock I would take the higher wattage amp over it's lower wattage variant for it's tonal characteristics, and I would play each of the them at relatively close volumes. It's true that some tube amps are overkill for apartments, but that's your fault for buying a 100 watt tube amp for apartment usage. Bring that baby to a full jam and tell me it's overkill. Even though you might not run it at ten, it wouldn't sound the same if you changed amps and ran a lower wattage variant at 10.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by gumbilicious

didn't gilmour also use deluxes at times?

At times I think but you know what I am talking about.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah, his sound was 100 watt hiwatts

Quote by Robbgnarly

Oh yeah merry Christmas to me. 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner 440 six pack. It gets 8 MPG

what can that do with 360 hp that a motorcycle can't do with 100 hp?

pointless.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by gumbilicious
what can that do with 360 hp that a motorcycle can't do with 100 hp?

pointless.

Actually its 515ish HP 1/4 mile in 10.6 and there's still enough room to make a baby in the back-seat
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You've never seen me ride a motorcycle. Heyoh
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by Robbgnarly
Actually its 515ish HP 1/4 mile in 10.6 and there's still enough room to make a baby in the back-seat

god, yer never gonna use that thing to it's potential

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
god, yer never gonna use that thing to it's potential

But if I ever do need it, I have it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
So 8 mpg doesnt go through enough money? You want to be totally cleaned out by outrageous child support payments too?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So 8 mpg doesnt go through enough money? You want to be totally cleaned out by outrageous child support payments too?

crappy fuel economy and hefty child support payments are a status symbol in our society.

-ae
Hey I'm the rare American dad that lives with and takes care of my 2 kids and my 15 yr old step-daughter. If I wanna spend some money on gas, I have that right. Besides how cool is it rolling in a roadrunner and blasting some Racer X while every one just looks in awe at the blatant abuse of fossil fuel consumption by one person.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Besides how cool is it rolling in a roadrunner and blasting some Racer X while every one just looks in awe at the blatant abuse of fossil fuel consumption by one person.

the racer X part would be cool even in an economy car.

-ae
Quote by Robbgnarly

ahahahaha awesome
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
So 8 mpg doesnt go through enough money?
The fun per gallon is off the charts though . Spend $30+ at the theater, or go toast some rice burners on Friday night. 'Merica
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Page 1 of 2