I've got a JCM 800 2204. From what I know, it's had the same tubes for 3 years, but haven't been used very much. (They're probably EL-34's)
I was in the studio yesterday, first time, and the amp sounded really muddy with these settings:
Pre: 10
Mid: 5
Treb: 6/7
Master: 2/3
Pres: 6
Bass: 7

This sounded really weird when playing my Tom Delonge strat with sh-4 to a Harley Benton 2x12 loaded with V30's.
It sounded almost kind of muddy, overdistorted, but bad distortion.
I turned the pre-amp down, and it sounded better.
Is this a sign I should get new tubes? Anything else?

Thx in advance
When you max out the gain on almost any amp, it will get muddy. Have you tried boosting the amp with a tubescreamer type pedal? This will alow you to keep the gain on the amp turned down, but the pedal will tighten and add some more gain.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
When you max out the gain on almost any amp, it will get muddy. Have you tried boosting the amp with a tubescreamer type pedal? This will alow you to keep the gain on the amp turned down, but the pedal will tighten and add some more gain.

I have a bad monkey, but I'm not sure I like it though. Adds too much volume.
I've heard a lot of good things about the tubescreamer, but I've also seen the price tag
Would the DS-1 be a good alternative?
Try less gain but more volume.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It would probably still be a good idea to get a few spare tubes, at least for the preamp.
Just get a few JJ's and try if they make a difference. What tubes are in there right now?
Quote by juliusxxrock
I have a bad monkey, but I'm not sure I like it though. Adds too much volume.
I've heard a lot of good things about the tubescreamer, but I've also seen the price tag
Would the DS-1 be a good alternative?

Turn the amps master volume down some so the Bad Monkey adds the volume back that you like.

The BM is nicer than a lot of TS type pedals because it has a separate bass control
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ambler3
for the bad monkey, gain 0, high and low at 12 o'clock ish, and volume to your own taste. Apparently that's the typical way to use it as a TS.

almost
Gain 0, Volume max and tone to taste
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by juliusxxrock
I was in the studio yesterday, first time, and the amp sounded really muddy with these

When you say 'first time' do you mean first time in the studio or first time with the amp?

We need to know if this is a new problem or did you buy it this way?

Was there a studio engineer/owner around?

Eitherway, the first thing I would do is swap some of the preamp (smaller) tubes around and see if that makes a difference. I agree you shouldn't be running the gain at 10. You need a Tubescreamer type boost and the Bad Monkey is a great/better alternative for $50 new. I love mine. I have a similar amp and I run
your pre should never be at 10. never.

and amps open up and get brighter when you have the master up. try to find a way to get the master at least 4/5. anything higher will help.

but yes. it is all relative depending on the tubes, the music, how hard you run your amp, and how much you play. but if you are in a "studio" and value your tone, i would recommend tweaking your tubes.

3 years you have gotten good use out of the power tubes. i say change em.

preamp tubes last for years, but are cheaper, dont need a bias, and a good combination can at least liven up your amp. the first preamp tube (v1) has the most impact. thats a 15 buck upgrade.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I've had this amp for half a year now. It's my first tube amp, and I'm still kind of learning. It's my first time recording in a studio generally. The thing is, I can't really hear what my amps sounds when I reheas with my band, but I'm pretty sure I've been using it wrong for a long time. I'm certain of what I like from an amp and I've always felt like it's not really what I want.

I wont get the chance to try out the new "tweaks" for a while now, but will turning down the pre amp and turning up the volume give me less distortion?
Quote by juliusxxrock
I've had this amp for half a year now. It's my first tube amp, and I'm still kind of learning. It's my first time recording in a studio generally. The thing is, I can't really hear what my amps sounds when I reheas with my band, but I'm pretty sure I've been using it wrong for a long time. I'm certain of what I like from an amp and I've always felt like it's not really what I want.

I wont get the chance to try out the new "tweaks" for a while now, but will turning down the pre amp and turning up the volume give me less distortion?

How loud do you practice that you can not hear a JCM800?
Are you just not turning up loud enough or what?
Try using a bit more mids, it might make a big difference. I have my mids on 1-2 o'clock and my presence at 11 o'clock. it cuts nice and is pretty articulate.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
How loud do you practice that you can not hear a JCM800?
Are you just not turning up loud enough or what?
Try using a bit more mids, it might make a big difference. I have my mids on 1-2 o'clock and my presence at 11 o'clock. it cuts nice and is pretty articulate.

I expressed myself poorly, sorry.
I meant, I've kind of felt something sounds wrong, but we rehears in a really small garage, so I've kind of just thought that it was the acoustics or something