What's up all. I have a question. I'm hoping somebody can answer. I really really really want to buy a Laney supergroup but I can not find one here in the states. I've read that the Marshall Plexi has the same Circuit with a different transformer. If that's true,witch Plexi is the same? Also,will I get the same tones out of a Plexi? Does the Partridge transformer make that big of a difference?
The band i'm in is going to be covering a bunch of Sabbath tunes and I want to get as close as I can to the Original sound as I can. (minus Tonys hands Of course.)

Thanks for any good info.
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
]I've read that the Marshall Plexi has the same Circuit with a different transformer. If that's true,witch Plexi is the same?

wow, yer ready to dump some bucks huh?

most likely the 1959 superlead. they also made a 50 watt version called the 1987. those are pretty much the two amps people mean when they say 'plexi' (usually it's really the 1959 they are referring to).

Quote by SpiralArchitec7
]Also,will I get the same tones out of a Plexi? Does the Partridge transformer make that big of a difference?

, maybe? i am willing to bet the amp will get you in the ballpark of those tones, the transformer does effect the tone but marshall was also known to use really good transformers from that era.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I found one on ebay, but it is in the UK. If you want it that bad, get it. I have seen them on GC used site before.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I thinkI saw the same one in the UK. They'r asking £850 and its listed as not working because of time Sensitive parts that have to be checked before he will turn it on or something like that.+ I think the shipping for something like that over seas is going to make it not worth it. And I didn't think to check GC used or any other big box. I just used search tempest for CL and ebay +google.

I thought it would be the 1950psl. But I read something about the Super Bass as well.
As far as the money goes. I was thinking 1500-3000 should get me into what I want. I've
Seen old adds for the Laneys and they sold between 800 and 1500. The marshall will most
Likely be at the upper end of my spending.
Have you tried the Tony Iommi sig Laney GH100TI? It is a ball tearer of an amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You may find a decent old Park amp for <$1000. These were Marshalls that were made to sell to other shops originally (with slightly altered circuits) because of a deal Marshall had with a UK music store. I think they would be a little closer to the Laney your wanting, but a plexi would work just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You may find a decent old Park amp for <$1000. These were Marshalls that were made to sell to other shops originally (with slightly altered circuits) because of a deal Marshall had with a UK music store. I think they would be a little closer to the Laney your wanting, but a plexi would work just fine

No,but I have Considered on soundcity amp that is a Laney super group rebranded.
Fair enough. Don't discount the single channel JCM800's (2203/2204). It's not what he used but I've pulled some extremely convincing early Sabbath tones out of one (first riff song I ever learned was Iron Man ) and they are easier to live with than a plexi. Early Sabbath on a 2203 rocks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
(first riff song I ever learned was Iron Man )

what a coincidence, my first riff i ever learned was If You Wanna Be My Lover by the Spice Girls.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by SpiralArchitec7
No,but I have Considered on soundcity amp that is a Laney super group rebranded.

look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they have 2 Sound City 120's for $699 and a few other models for <$900

Sound City amps were made designed by Dave Reeves of Hiwatt, not Laney
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 16, 2013,