Page 1 of 2

what the **** is this shit

who the **** does this

just kidding

you better ****in do it though or else

chicks gon be mad at you like they mad at dilly doop
Always cut vertical. If someone does it horizontally he/she is either an attention***** or stupid.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
As someone who self-mutilated in the past, I find this stupid. But no different than wearing those yellow wristbands or a susan g koman shirt.
Quote by Wormholes
As someone who self-mutilated in the past, I find this stupid. But no different than wearing those yellow wristbands or a susan g koman shirt.

Except buying the wristbands gave money to charity, this is just ******ed.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

It kinda like... trivializes or immature-izes (lol) suicide, to me. Is this only supposed to be for teenagers or something?

What about grown men who overdose on sleeping pills or shoot themselves in the head? This doesn't seem to speak to them
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Neo Evil11
Always cut vertical. If someone does it horizontally he/she is either an attention***** or stupid.

Self-harm typically isn't about trying to kill or seriously injure yourself, so cutting horizontally is explicable.

Seems a bit of a silly campaign, but self-harm does need more attention given to it in order to remove the stigmas still attached to it. Self-harm isn't just about young adults cutting their wrists though.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Wow, literally nobody achieves anything by doing this

Sounds like it was cooked up by some teenage/pre-teen girl to get facebook likes
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Todd Hart
Self-harm typically isn't about trying to kill or seriously injure yourself, so cutting horizontally is explicable.

Seems a bit of a silly campaign, but self-harm does need more attention given to it in order to remove the stigmas still attached to it. Self-harm isn't just about young adults cutting their wrists though.

And suicide isn't just about self-harm
fvck whoever made this. Stop fvcking glamouring and romanticising depression. Stupid c0cks, yes the mental health sigma needs to be removed, but having the immature twats who fake it only make it harder for people who are actually depressed because people assume they're faking it for attention too
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I'm going to wear a belt around my neck to show support for those who have died from erotic asphyxiation.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by Bladez22
fvck whoever made this. Stop fvcking glamouring and romanticising depression. Stupid c0cks, yes the mental health sigma needs to be removed, but having the immature twats who fake it only make it harder for people who are actually depressed because people assume they're faking it for attention too

How can you fake self-harm?
Quote by Todd Hart

I can link a few tumblr posts/blogs that do
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Bladez22
I can link a few tumblr posts/blogs that do

As in they're claiming to self-harm when they don't? Or they're using makeup tricks to make it look like they self-harm?
Quote by Todd Hart
As in they're claiming to self-harm when they don't? Or they're using makeup tricks to make it look like they self-harm?

both, and I wish I was kidding
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Todd Hart

Like I said, attentionwhore or idiot if otherwise..
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
So I'm going to be sending kids out of my lessons to go and wash their arms off this week, am I? Good to know.
Quote by Todd Hart

He didn't mention self-harm, he mentioned depression. I assume he meant people who fake depression.

But even if he meant self-harm, don't be so pedantic to pretend you don't know what he means. People who cut themselves for attention or to be cool etc. ie people faking the genuine conditions that would make people self-harm.
Quote by MadClownDisease
He didn't mention self-harm, he mentioned depression. I assume he meant people who fake depression.

But even if he meant self-harm, don't be so pedantic to pretend you don't know what he means. People who cut themselves for attention or to be cool etc. ie people faking the genuine conditions that would make people self-harm.

Yeah I had a friend who used to do little cat scratches, and used to do them on the top part of her forearms and keep her sleeves rolled up so people would notice and comment on them. It happens.
Quote by Neo Evil11

It's like you're a 14 year old 'cool kid'.

Quote by MadClownDisease

I fail to see how cutting oneself for attention would less 'real' that cutting yourself for depression. Either way there's clearly a reason for the self-harm that tells about the underlying mental condition.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
So I'm going to be sending kids out of my lessons to go and wash their arms off this week, am I? Good to know.

Is having colours on your arm illegal in the British totalitarian school system?

^22 m8.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Yeah but they won't come back because you'll have driven them to suicide with your totalitarian enforcement of "rules" and invalidation of the individual

Just a heads up
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I had a friend who used to do little cat scratches, and used to do them on the top part of her forearms and keep her sleeves rolled up so people would notice and comment on them. It happens.

this is exactly what I meant

I have depression, and one of the reasons I dont tell people about it is because I know people will assume I'm like them and just "faking" it for attention

You can normally tell who is really depressed though, because people who are generally hate talking about it and asking for help. So the people doing this kind of thing on facebook is the most irritating thing
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Neo Evil11
Is having colours on your arm illegal in the British totalitarian school system?

^22 m8.

Well technically it is but I'll let them keep it unless they make some big attention-seeking fuss, then they can go wash it off.

My workplace is really strict on uniform.
Quote by Bladez22
So the people doing this kind of thing on facebook is the most irritating thing

What bugs me is that they're not actually doing anything. Yes, they're "raising awareness", but once people are "aware"...then what? I mean, they're bringing this issue to light and then never doing anything. If would be one thing if they were donating money to a charity that aided those with mental health issues, but they're just saying, "Color your arms". What exactly are they accomplishing?

Also, suicide and self-harm aren't the same thing. Self-harm can eventually lead to suicide, in some cases, but that's not always the case.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by Todd Hart
I fail to see how cutting oneself for attention would less 'real' that cutting yourself for depression. Either way there's clearly a reason for the self-harm that tells about the underlying mental condition.

Because one is symptomatic of a serious mental condition that poses a real threat to the well-being of that person and one is a superficial effort to get attention or validation? One is potentially a very serious issue and one is a lot less so.

Yes both are technically "self-harm" as both are actually causing some physical harm, but again please stop being so pedantic to pretend you don't understand the difference.
These things always seem so trendy. Easy to do and trendy, yet not actually doing anything significant to help anyone.
Not interested.

Wanna buy a live strong band while you're at it? How about change your profile pic to a pokemon of your choice? What about Kony? Lets get him guys.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by MadClownDisease
Because one is symptomatic of a serious mental condition that poses a real threat to the well-being of that person and one is a superficial effort to get attention or validation? One is potentially a very serious issue and one is a lot less so.

Yes both are technically "self-harm" as both are actually causing some physical harm, but again please stop being so pedantic to pretend you don't understand the difference.

Cheers for explaining that
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Why not propagate that people who have depression are actually just normal people?

And it hardly seems appropriate that people paint their arms so that other people can see that they self-harm. It's attention-seeking behavior in disguise of an awareness campaign. So it just adds to the stigma.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well technically it is but I'll let them keep it unless they make some big attention-seeking fuss, then they can go wash it off.

My workplace is really strict on uniform.

Are you wearing a uniform too?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What bugs me is that they're not actually doing anything. Yes, they're "raising awareness", but once people are "aware"...then what? I mean, they're bringing this issue to light and then never doing anything. If would be one thing if they were donating money to a charity that aided those with mental health issues, but they're just saying, "Color your arms". What exactly are they accomplishing?

Also, suicide and self-harm aren't the same thing. Self-harm can eventually lead to suicide, in some cases, but that's not always the case.

It's supposed to help get rid of the stigma surrounding mental health, which is incredibly important. However, as the concept was clearly created by a 12 year old, it's a stupid idea that just contributes to the stigma instead.

The real question though is why TS thought this was actually threadworthy. Shit like this has been around as long as the internet has. Especially back when Myspace was still a thing.

Quote by MadClownDisease

But why would a person need to go so far as to self harm just for attention? That can be indicative of something problematic as well. Todd isn't being pedantic, he's making a good point.
Quote by MadClownDisease

Both are examples of mental states that are causing self-destructive behaviour. I just think it's abhorrent to say 'yeah, you're not really self-harming, you're just doing it for attention' as though there is only one legitimate reason to self-harm.

Things like this are one of the reasons why self-harm is always trivialised. Yes there are people who self-harm because they want attention, but the very fact that they would go to such lengths to get attention points to a dangerous underlying mental state. Likely not one that would become as a extremely self-destructive as depression can be, but once something has reached the level of self-harm I would say it's already dangerous enough to warrant seriousness.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why not propagate that people who have depression are actually just normal people?

And it hardly seems appropriate that people paint their arms so that other people can see that they self-harm. It's attention-seeking behavior in disguise of an awareness campaign. So it just adds to the stigma.

Bingo!

Quote by GuitarGod_92
It's supposed to help get rid of the stigma surrounding mental health, which is incredibly important. However, as the concept was clearly created by a 12 year old, it's a stupid idea that just contributes to the stigma instead.

I understand that, but as you say...it's not really doing that.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Dec 15, 2013,
you're both right

but there are people (15 year olds) who do it purely to seem all "deep" and troubled and shit for attention

and by both I meant mad clown and todd. Although everyone has valid points, and isnt what I expected from the pit
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Dec 15, 2013,
Page 1 of 2