Page 1 of 2
So I'm writing an essay on modernity and part of what I'm trying to do is make a list of things, could be items, could be concepts, that are generally considered to be modern. From this I will then try to deduce what aspects they have in common and create a set of aspects that modern things seem to possess to some degree. I have some ideas of my own, but I'm interested in seeing what you can come up with.

So can you name some things or concepts that you consider to be modern and why?
The industrial revolution. The 40-hour work week. Domestic plumbing and electricity. The internet. Minimum wage. Subsidized education and healthcare.

They are all the results of technological advances, and they are evidence of people working together as a society, rather than each man for himself.

EDIT: I think freedom of choice is an important modern concept. I don't know what life was like centuries ago, but I imagin your options were more limited than they are today. There was less social mobility, and your job was probably the same as your dad's.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 15, 2013,
Space exploration, availability of information, wide social liberties, what "privacy" really means, new types of warfare, etc
My God, it's full of stars!
The Internet, the capacity of learning anything, social regression, obsolescence.
the friendzone
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Solid State Amplifiers
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
fleshlights
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
people getting off to sonic the hedgehog

EDM, more importantly the growing complexity/popularity of electronic music in general, is actually a good one
Alright, so I'm seeing some good suggestions here that I'll probably use. Keep 'em coming. Please elaborate on why you consider it modern if you can, it would help me a lot.
According to behindthename.com Jorja is the most "modern" name of all.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
What do you need elaboration on? I feel like "space exploration" and "the internet" are self-evidently modern...
I can elaborate if you need me to
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by Dreadnought
What do you need elaboration on? I feel like "space exploration" and "the internet" are self-evidently modern...

Giorgio A. Tsoukalos would disagree.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Dreadnought
I agree that they are modern things yes, but why? Is it because it's relatively new? Because it uses a lot of technological progress? I personally find it quite difficult to put my finger on exactly why I think it is modern.
If you had to use one word to describe why you feel it is modern, what would it be?
one word?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by ChaosInside
If you had to use one word to describe why you feel it is modern, what would it be?

Because.
The fact that children are seen as innocent and need protection and shelter from the world is actually a very modern concept that's only been around for maybe 100 years tops.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Thrashtastic15
terrible threads where you try to get people to do your work for you
I disagree. What I may consider modern, other may not. By making this thread, I'm trying to find things that everyone seems to agree on being modern. I call it research. What I wrote in the OP is only a small part of my essay.
Quote by ChaosInside
I disagree. What I may consider modern, other may not. By making this thread, I'm trying to find things that everyone seems to agree on being modern. I call it research. What I wrote in the OP is only a small part of my essay.

ok there

Please reference the pit in your essay
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Quote by StewieSwan
The fact that children are seen as innocent and need protection and shelter from the world is actually a very modern concept that's only been around for maybe 100 years tops.

and it's ****ed up the world something terrible
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
You could look at some of the translational aspects of modernity. For example, I went on a bus tour of Madrid and the whole tour was narrated by a recording. You plugged your headphones into the seat in front of you and chose your language. There was a huge list of languages. This translational technology and integration is decidedly modern.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by ChaosInside
I agree that they are modern things yes, but why? Is it because it's relatively new? Because it uses a lot of technological progress? I personally find it quite difficult to put my finger on exactly why I think it is modern.

Space Exploration is more "modern" because we want to know more of what's outside of Earth; whether there's any other life forms or any other planets we could live on and such. We have the ability to travel into space and explore it, so why not?

Internet is self-explanatory; it's innovative and convenient.
Last edited by Lifesign at Dec 15, 2013,
kinky sex

am i right

Modern? Or contemporary? Or post-modern?

Because we're sort of out of the modern age. If you want modern read some hemmingway.

Actually everybody should go read some hemmingway.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Your mother is modern.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Bladez22
Please reference the pit in your essay

horsedick.mpeg et al, "Modern Things", The Pit, Ultimate-Guitar.com, 2013

guaranteed A+
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Abolishment of the death sentence (that goes for every non 3rd world country).
As far as history goes, modern starts at approximately the 16th century.

-Widespread literacy
-Biological sense of "race" tied to skin color
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
not Post Modernism
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Time? One thing that has definitely changed is time, in a way.
Going from slower to faster.

Carefully writing out a letter, pen and ink, posting it "snail mail", to writing an email and sending it instantly.
We're often too busy to go to a shop (or wait for a shopping trip) to buy things, but instead order it online and get it delivered the next day.
Travel - fly to another country, where it would have taken weeks to travel any other way.
Smoking - a "quick ciggie" now, compared to a slow, contemplative pipe then.

Of course - not all just "time". Perhaps our view of time? How we use it, manage it, gain it and waste it?
Still 24hrs in a day, the week is still the same, but how we view it and use it has changed.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Last edited by Joeval at Dec 16, 2013,
Page 1 of 2