I was thinking about picking up that Blackstar HT Metal 5 watt head, along with the Blackstar HT Metal 50 watt cab. Now I play in an apartment so I'm not looking for a 100w head or anything like that, I can play loud, just not THAT loud. Question, would a 5 watt head work well with a 50 watt cab? And would it be usable for, recording, bedroom jamming, etc like that?

Here's the head, http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-metal-5h/

Here's the Cabinet, http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/ht-metal-112/

Would I be able to play this rig at a semi low level and get a good tone? Without having to crank it loud enough to rattle the whole house? THanks guys.

Happy holidays!
Most modern metal amps with a halfway decent master volume are going to be fine for apartment playing through basically any reasonably sized cab. The wattage doesn't really factor into it besides making the head a bit cheaper. You're not going to get power tube breakup from a 5W amp at bedroom recording levels, and a 100W amp with a master volume is going to sound just fine at the same volumes.

So I'd concentrate on finding an amp that sounds great, and not worry about volume so much. With metal amps it's all preamp distortion anyway, so you should be able to get a good tone at nearly any volume independent of the wattage.
Dunnow, there really are better things that the Blackstar HT5.

It has a solid state power section so it's pretty handy if you'll be recording a lot of stuff, though if you'll not be doing that a lot I advise looking for something else - a Jet City or a Vypyr Tube.

That cabinet is not an amazing idea either.
With the money you would save buying another amp you could definitely buy a nicer cab.
The harley benton G112/G212/G412 Vintage for example!
Or an orange PPC or a Mesa rectifier cab if you wanna put some more money in it.

Don't worry about 100w amps, they usually have volume controls too, ya know...
If the amp's power is equal or below the cab's power you're good.

To directly answer your question, yeah that would be a nice sounding rig indeed, but for the money you can get waaay better stuff.
Also it's not like you have to turn an amp up to 11 to make it sound good, especially when you're talking about one with a solid state power amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Dunnow, there really are better things that the Blackstar HT5.

It has a solid state power section

It's kinda hybrid throughout- power tubes but SS phase inverter, preamp has op-amp gain stages and clipping diodes alongside two tube gain stages too.

I agree with you and colin about the volume/wattage thing, though. if a 100/50 watt high gainer turned down is too loud, a 5 watter will be too. IMO (and plenty of people disagree) the 50/100 watt high gainers start sounding pretty good way below the volume level of a cranked 5 watter. And at superlow volume levels the 5 watters often sound even worse than the higher wattage amps for some reaso.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FusedPower
Question, would a 5 watt head work well with a 50 watt cab? And would it be usable for, recording, bedroom jamming, etc like that?

The wattage of the cabinet (as long as it's higher than the amp's output) is pretty much immaterial. Sensitivity of the individual speakers is another issue -- a pair of Rocket 50's has much lower sensitivity/efficiency than, say a pair of Vintage 30's. The latter will be louder for the same amp output.

And yes, it would be usable for all of those.
The cab wattage just tells you about the power handling of the cabinet. It doesn't tell how loud the cabinet is (if you want to know that, look at the speaker sensitivity). You shouldn't overpower a cabinet but I don't think underpowering it does any harm. Just make sure you match the ohms.

Also, the site says "Designed to match the HT METAL 5 guitar amps" so it should work perfectly with the amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
That cab is the same as the regular HT cab, it just has a metal grill.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The cab wattage just tells you about the power handling of the cabinet. It doesn't tell how loud the cabinet is (if you want to know that, look at the speaker sensitivity). You shouldn't overpower a cabinet but I don't think underpowering it does any harm. Just make sure you match the ohms.

Also, the site says "Designed to match the HT METAL 5 guitar amps" so it should work perfectly with the amp.

Too much headroom on some speakers sound a little sterile, but YMMV on that. Again, test the setup before you buy it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I would say yes that seems like a good plan. Since you live in apartment space may be an issue and HT-5 is a small lunchbox head, easily hid inside a closet if necessary. And the 1x12 is not a monster either. Wattage itself is quite irrelevant, amps have volume knobs for a reason. At worse it just seems like a waste to have a big ass tube head but you have to play it at whisper volumes (been there with my valveking).

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
\At worse it just seems like a waste to have a big ass tube head but you have to play it at whisper volumes (been there with my valveking).

Exactly, that's what I was thinking. See the main type of music I play is mostly metal, thrash metal like Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc. Heavy metal like, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, stuff like that. I like to Detune and play songs from Sodom, or Kreator. Etc. But yeah, I tried a blackstar combo in a store a few months back and I really liked the sound, that's why I chose both the head and cab. I'm really not looking for a 100 watt monster amp, lol. I'm looking for something small, I can jam in my room with, or at my buddy's house with. Also, I have a Zoom G5 pedal for modulating tone and easy USB recording. So I kinda figured the amp would be perfect for me. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for more of a small half stack instead of a combo, to be honest.

Also, I'm looking for an amp I can get a heavy tone out of at a somewhat low volume. Not extremely low, but not loud enough to the point where it's rattling my whole apartment.
Quote by FusedPower
Exactly, that's what I was thinking. See the main type of music I play is mostly metal, thrash metal like Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc. Heavy metal like, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, stuff like that. I like to Detune and play songs from Sodom, or Kreator. Etc. But yeah, I tried a blackstar combo in a store a few months back and I really liked the sound, that's why I chose both the head and cab. I'm really not looking for a 100 watt monster amp, lol. I'm looking for something small, I can jam in my room with, or at my buddy's house with. Also, I have a Zoom G5 pedal for modulating tone and easy USB recording. So I kinda figured the amp would be perfect for me. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for more of a small half stack instead of a combo, to be honest.

Also, I'm looking for an amp I can get a heavy tone out of at a somewhat low volume. Not extremely low, but not loud enough to the point where it's rattling my whole apartment.

If you liked the sound I say go for it. Since the Blackstar comes with the ISF knob that changes the voicing from Marshall to Mesa style it covers a lot of Thrash genres.

A lot of people here hate Blackstar due to their dubious marketing of HT series (they are hybrids but give impression that they are all tube) but I say **** that, use your own ears. There are definetly better sounding amps but I personally cant think of lunchbox one with same features in this price range. Closest would be Laney Ironheart Studio but that is more expensive.

*edit* Actually Ironheart IRT15H is in your price range, recording outputs and all, but that is single high gain channel amp only.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 16, 2013,
I forget who said it on this forum, but one of my favorite anecdotes used to be:

"5 Watts is louder than hell. 50 Watts is marginally louder than hell."
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I think that was me. That's probably paraphrased, though.

I think it was 50 watts versus 100 watts. I can't remember exactly how I phrased it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?