I was wondering, what are the best V shaped guitars for price? I know a lot of people are annoyed by that question, but if a $200 guitar is only marginally worse than a $500 guitar I would rather just get the $200. I won't buy anything worth more than $1,500, and I will buy used. I would rather have a H-S-H humbucker setup than a H-S-S, because my Focus is already a H-S-S.

Right now I own a Kramer Focus 6000 and a Jackson Kelly.

The V guitars I'm looking at now are:
Carvin Ultra V (floyd rose and locking nuts, would run around $1,300)
Kramer Vanguard (about $750)
Kramer Nite V (about $630)
Dean ML XM (about $150)
BC Rich NJ JR V (about $500)
Jackson Rhoads RRXMG (about $650)

I'm looking for pretty heavy guitars (of the Power Metal, Blues Metal and Shred Metal variety) and small frets. Does anyone have a guitar here that they can recommend? I also can't try any of these guitars, because local retailers here don't carry Kramer or Non-Dimebag model Deans. I think I'll go with the Carvin, because I've never heard a bad thing about a Carvin guitar, but any thoughts?
The one knock that shows up for Carvins with any constancy is that their pickups are kind of blah. They're not BAD, they're just vanilla. Probably not what you want for metal.

I like Vs, but I don't find them comfortable to play, so I will probably will never own one. Still, were I to buy one, there are 4 I'd look at: the DBZ Cavallo, the Fernandes Vortex and V-Hawk, and the Reverend Volcano.

Of those, the Reverend Volcano- specifically the Volcano RA- would probably be the one I'd buy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 15, 2013,
Within your budget and style I would probably give the Epiphone Robb Flynn Flying V a look.

I'm not a big fan of the look, but a 27" baritone scale and EMG's is pretty much perfect for the heavy stuff.
Haven't tried it myself, but it from what I hear, it is worth the money.
The older Gibson faded V is awesome. Just like the regular V but with a satin paint job and they can be had for $500-$600 used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gibson V.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'm not getting a Gibson, I've heard that their nut quality is usually bad and in general their quality varies wildly. So no.
I'm getting a V to use standing up, I already have guitars I can play if I'm sitting so I don't really mind
I don't buy signature guitars. It looks really amateur when I see other people do it. (I don't mind a sig if they just have their signature on the head though, you can just brasso that off if it's printed on)
Out of that list I'd take the BC Rich, my Warlock NJ Deluxe is crafted very well, also with high quality hardware. Basically the same axe but different shape.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Of those, the Reverend Volcano- specifically the Volcano RA- would probably be the one I'd buy.

To follow up (I had an errand to run):

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/volcano-ra-fm/
http://www.monstermusicny.com/shop/guitars/reverend-volcano-ra-fm-satin-red-burst/

Korina body, comfy medium C neck, 2 RailHammer Chisel HBs, and the Bass Contour control make this a very versatile guitar for all kinds of styles.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by samuelzz10

I don't buy signature guitars. It looks really amateur when I see other people do it.

Which is code for "I want people to think I'm a total badass"

I don't like it design on it, but for the price nothing on your list can touch it. The scale alone puts it above the rest. And a few cans of spray paint can do a lot to change looks.
Last edited by DanishViking at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by samuelzz10
I'm not getting a Gibson, I've heard that their nut quality is usually bad and in general their quality varies wildly. So no.

Which is obviously why you always try a guitar before you buy it. Make your decision on what to buy based on a specific guitar, not on an arbitrary generalization.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 15, 2013,
Quote by samuelzz10

I don't buy signature guitars. It looks really amateur when I see other people do it.

I generally don't buy sig guitars either, for a lot of reasons.

But if the sig is more or less unique- or an especially good bargain for the price- then there's nothing wrong with getting one. And AFAIK, the aren't too many 27" Vs in anyone's main product line.

Don't buy that dean, but if you want a sweet Dean for the price, get a used 79 Series reissue V, or the new Chicago series that just came out,
Quote by KrogerChad
Don't buy that dean, but if you want a sweet Dean for the price, get a used 79 Series reissue V, or the new Chicago series that just came out,

Oh yeah- forgot about that!

I own 2 Deans, and I love them. But I wouldn't buy one for under $500. There are better guitars to be had in that price range.

The '79s, Chicagos, and any of the Time Capsules & USAs are good, if you can find one in your price range.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Which is obviously why you always try a guitar before you buy it. Make your decision on what to buy based on a specific guitar, not on an arbitrary generalization.

I already mentioned, a lot of guitar retailers in my area don't hold more obscure guitars. By Gibson standards, Vs are pretty obscure. (most of them don't hold new Gibsons either, because they're smaller chains)

@Danish Viking: I don't strive to look as cool as possible, but really it looks ridiculous. Also, I don't know how to go about painting a glued neck guitar.
Quote by samuelzz10

So, you're willing to spend up to fifteen hundred on a quality V, but you won't get the original one because of something that costs ten dollars and takes thirty minutes to fix?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
So, you're willing to spend up to fifteen hundred on a quality V, but you won't get the original one because of something that costs ten dollars and takes thirty minutes to fix?

yeah, basically. I also have a general distaste for how expensive gibsons are. I don't want to derail the thread, but honestly 3K for a guitar is bullshit. End of discussion, no gibsons. Don't want to walk into a flamewar, just gonna drop the topic right now. I am ok with Kramers though.
If you're in the $1000-$1500, try to grab a used Jackson RR1 or used King V (both are USA models). IMO, they would suit what you want.

If not, go Carvin or BC Rich.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
If you were looking at Deans you can also take a look at DBZ Guitars. The company is made by the same guy who started Dean. I know for sure the 2009-2011 models are good quality Korean guitars. I believe they have three models which are all V shaped. Bird Of prey/Cavallo/Venom.
I forgot one more I really like: the US Masters VExtreme.

http://www.usmasters.com/vxtremeguitars.htm
http://www.usmasters.com/vxtremestandard.htm
http://www.usmasters.com/vxtremeflame.htm

They also make the Dräken, but I don't care for that one's aesthetics. It's still going to be a very well made guitar, though.

http://www.usmasters.com/draken.htm

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2013,
Get a gibson flying v
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
Quote by samuelzz10
I already mentioned, a lot of guitar retailers in my area don't hold more obscure guitars. By Gibson standards, Vs are pretty obscure. (most of them don't hold new Gibsons either, because they're smaller chains)

They're actually fairly common in my particular area.
Quote by samuelzz10
yeah, basically. I also have a general distaste for how expensive gibsons are. I don't want to derail the thread, but honestly 3K for a guitar is bullshit. End of discussion, no gibsons. Don't want to walk into a flamewar, just gonna drop the topic right now. I am ok with Kramers though.

Gibson V's don't cost $3000. They cost around the ballpark of a Gibson SG, around $1200.

And fyi, Gibson owns the Kramer brand. So I find it a bit hypocritical that you have such a disdain for them. I see no reason to end this discussion either. We're talking about Gibson V's and V's are what is relevant to your thread.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 16, 2013,
They're actually fairly common in my particular area.

Yeah, but that doesn't help him much. I live in a big metropolitan area, and I don't see that many Vs of any kind in the stores. The last one I held in my hands was that horrible Dean Vcoustic (or whatever they called it).

'Round here, you're far more likely to see Explorer or ML body shapes.

I know it doesn't help him all that much, but I just wanted to explain why I said that.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Just out of curiosity...any clue as to why so many Vs in Liverpool?

There's not 'so many', there's just been a few, which is quite a lot for what kind of guitar it is.

You've also got to bear in mind that I'm willing to travel some distance to try guitars before committing to buy them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in Texas ('Murica!), where "some distance" means something other than you might mean!

That's a top-10 population center for the USA. Here, I can drive an hour or more west and never see countryside.* It takes 30 minutes at least to get out of the cityscape headed in any other direction. I've taken trips to Austin just to see a band play.

Sometimes as a day trip.

Within a 4-5 hour drive, we've got Houston and San Antonio- two other top-10 pop cities.

...and the guitar-slingers around here tend towards the conservative Tele/Strat/Lp body styles with a dash of SGs, Gretsch semi/full hollow, and, of course' Ibanez, BC Rich, Shechter and Dean for the metal militia. Don't see that many unusual body shapes like Vs or the offsets without hitting the small stores...

Ehh...blah blah blah...

* though even within those city limits, I can see private farms with things like horses, longhorns, emus, zebras and alpacas.

Well if you read the designation 'UK' in my location, you would've been aware that I was aware that the US is a big country.

I don't see how this is supposed to help TS though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well if you read the designation 'UK' in my location, you would've been aware that I was aware that the US is a big country.

In my experience, not all Europans are! One guy I know was in the US for 2 weeks- wanted to see the Statue of Liberty, the Grand Canyon, and the Golden Gate Bridge.

On a road trip.

(OTOH, I've found few Americans can appreciate the depth of history in Europe until they actually go there. It can be humbling to realize that a town's "new"city hall is twice as old as your country...)

I don't see how this is supposed to help TS though.

I am shooting the breeze...with 'Murican, Constitutionally guaranteed freedoms!

(IOW, I am currently talking to hear the sound of my own voice. )

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

They also make the Dräken, but I don't care for that one's aesthetics. It's still going to be a very well made guitar, though.

http://www.usmasters.com/draken.htm

I think it looks pretty nice. It has attidute but its far from B.C Rich Draco which tries WAY too hard to be br00tz.

Except the headstock falls flat. Reminds me of bottle opener. But if it would work as one then that would be a different story!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3