Hey, been years since I last posted a thread here, hopefully I'm athe right forum.
Okay basically I bought a fender telecaster standard. The 500 USD one(poor college student). I know it's more of a jazzy guitar or country and so, but I just love the way it looks and the clean sound also kicks ass, however, I'm really into metal. I can use somewhat of a distortion pedal on it, but when I use a heavier distorted sound, I get a real loud feedback screech and it's quite irritating. It really makes it impossible to play metal without the feedback. I was told at a guitar store theres nothing I can do since it's single coil, but then I'm told its possible to switch pickups for a different one. Do I have options? And without buying another guitar(I couldn't afford a new guitar).

In short: Are there special pickups for the standard telecaster to allow distortion without feedback?
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
Since your a broke college student look here at the Lil punchers pickups. www.guitarfetish.com I have those pickups in a tele and it does metal just fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
dude, to be honest, I play metal on a stock '69 telecaster with single coils. You're going to get a hum from your pickups with dirt. Noise gate is your friend. since you're broke, this is about as cheap as you're going to find.

http://www.cheaperpedals.com/collections/misc/products/joyo-noise-gate-jf-31-pedal

I say, look up wiring for a '69 with 1 meg pots, and maybe change your pickups to alnico if you don't like the ceramics, and you'll be playing metal with ease.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

A noise gate pedal would be my last resort. I'm willing to spend a hundred or more for pickups. I totally get the hum comes with the package, it's the really loud screech I get that I Cant deal with
Avenged Sevenfold Fan, proud of it.
The most likely reasons you are getting feedback are the pickups are poorly or improperly potted, or not potted at all, and/or you are standing too close to the amp with the volume turned up too high.