I think I have a very nasally voice. Opinions please? Also, anyone have any tips for sounding less like this? I've heard that some people have had this sort of thing where they get an operation to open up the nostril area because of a natural growth that adds blockage and causes a tone. Not that I'd necessarily jump to that route anyways.

This is my soundcloud -- plenty of material to choose from. The newer stuff is better, I actually do more than one take in those instances, also got a better acoustic guitar, and there is the added experience that 2 more years practice brings. My voice has shifted so much in the past 5-6 years, I've been told by choral instructors that the male voice will not settle until as late as 22 years old. I'm 21 so...

https://soundcloud.com/mattthielhorn
No No No!! Your voice is magnificent! Bravo, bravo!! I wish I had a voice like that, I've been practicing when I can but I can't get a nice tone and sometimes I'll hit a wrong note. You really need to become a professional. You could win the TV talent shows (x-factor, Britain/Australia/USA's got talent! Or something. Please go pro
Quote by ScotlandScott
No No No!! Your voice is magnificent! Bravo, bravo!! I wish I had a voice like that, I've been practicing when I can but I can't get a nice tone and sometimes I'll hit a wrong note. You really need to become a professional. You could win the TV talent shows (x-factor, Britain/Australia/USA's got talent! Or something. Please go pro

Heh heh, enthusiastic, are we? I do agree however, your voice is VERY nice. There might be a teeny, tiny hint of nasalness in your top notes or some passages... but it's only if I listen really hard, and I'm a real nitpick so you're good .
that´s really nice. I quite enjoy your taste in music too.. the mustache looks a Little fake though ;-)

all that I really can add is "keep on keepin´on" and with any luck you should be able to make a career with those pipes.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
As everyone else has said, you have a good voice.

That said, you do have issues keeping a solid line of breath under your voice. Even in examples like your rendition of mad world where you chose to take a very "choppy" approach to it, the line of breath should be there. This will give your voice more presence, keep phrases flowing, and help you "spin" notes. It will also help you have a more prominent tone that cuts through a mix better without changing your fundamental tone.

Another thing that I'd like you to work on would be keeping your voice "placed in the mask" placed is a really bad terminology in voice, because its really not what we're doing and when understood improperly can lead to a lot of problems.

If you'd ever like a free voice lesson, send me a pm with your skype address and I'll see what I can do! Its really hard to give vocal advice without seeing you and being able to demonstrate things/be able to fix and try different things on the fly.
Thanks! I really appreciated the feedback and I guess, praise, that I've received here. It's difficult for me to accept complements and such... low self-esteem, self-image, whatever they call it these days. I don't really ever grow without the constructive feedback of complete strangers.

I'm definitely going to upgrade my gear here soon (recording, instruments, etc.). The pace at which I get this gear depends on how much I want to sell my soul to credit companies :/ and I've been experimenting with writing somethings. I always have my best ideas for lines late at night but never have the energy to take time from half sleeping to write them down.

I really appreciate reading these things from you guys, it means a lot. BTW, that mustache is very poorly photo-shopped, it's an old FB profile pic from way back when...