A good friend of mine went away to college about a year ago and at the time had just upgraded his audio interface and was looking to sell his Tascam US800 for only $60. I had seem him use it, I know it works for the most part. Now, I'm very tech literate but... I'm having WAAAY too much trouble getting the Tascam drivers and Win7 to get along. I honestly cannot figure it out. I've tried many, many times to set it up and after this many failed attempts... I just really want to figure this out and start recording with something other than my crappy USB mic.

-- Comp specs --
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP ENVY 14 Notebook PC
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 480 @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5942MB RAM
Page File: 2835MB used, 9045MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
What makes you think the drivers and Win7 aren't getting along?

Are you getting a driver error of some sort? Crashing? Stuttering on the recording? etc...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I think I've figured it out finally. I have a 64 bit edition of Windows 7 and the Tascam US 800 drivers don't get along. Tascam support confirmed it. I re-installed one of my desktops with a 32 bit version.

The new issue I'm running into is because the Tascam US 800 is discontinued, the drivers have usually been available, but for some reason I can't download them. I've tried multiple machines and networks. I emailed Tascam support about it seeing as how I can't find the drivers on any other site.
Interesting.

I had a Tascam US800 a while back and it worked just fine on Windows 7 Professional x64. No issues whatsoever.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I thought I had a breakthrough... but alas, my equipment is still just a paper weight. The really weird thing is that when I have it plugged in to a power source, then plug in headphones, I only here a buzzing noise. I tried plugging instruments into it, the LED lights show that it is receiving a signal but I can't hear anything. Does this sound normal? The power cable is not original with the product. I thought maybe it was getting the wrong voltage. I must be missing something here.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ASIO with 2-8 lines relatively cheap, like $50-100 range. I really only need to record an acoustic guitar and vocals. Perhaps something that doesn't have such a botched setup process. I love technology... when it works.
Quote by Douglas Adams

Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet.

I assume you're micing the acoustic? I think you might be able to get a Saffire 6 (might have to go used) for around $100.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I've had a tascam 800 for more than 2 years now running in Windows 7 professional x64 bit, and it's really a pain in the ass.

The drivers don't get along very well. Have found 2 critical problems and the way to "solve it"

1) It starts to "eat" all your ram capacity until it reachs a point that colapse your computer.

There is no way to fix this. I'm lucky to have an 8gb ram PC and always have the "CPU meter" turned on. I had learnt over the time that when it gets to 80% ram i have to reboot my PC to prevent the crash. Above 80% is dangerous area and probably DAW is going to crash (cubase-reason-ableton live, etc. all having the same problem. The crash happens to me after like 4 hours of recording or 2-3 hours watching youtube streaming music, playing music of itunes-spotify etc..

2) If i turn my MIDI controller BEFORE opening my daw or VST stand alone, the computer will crash and i will get the BSOD (blue screen of death)

The way to fix this is simple, 1) power on the tascam 2) Open daw or VST stand alone 3) Turn on your midi device...

I have had hundreds of BSOD but they hadn't done any damage to my PC. I'm 100% sure this things can't be fixed as i encountered many people in diferent forums with the same problems as me. The drivers I use are the US 800 1.08
(winrar name is us800_win_v1_0_8_20110107) I could send them to you if you can't find it over the net

Appart from this 2 BIG problems, i have recorded over 300 songs, diferent bands and proyects in it. Obviously not professional level but more than enough for demos and having fun in your homestudio. I have a relationship of love/hate with my tascam .

As soon I find a new job i will replace it BUT keep it for recording on the run (vacations, live presentations straight of the mixboard etc.)

That's my 2 cents. (I don't remember having your problems, but if you don't have US8001.08 drivers i can email them to you).

PD: This is my recording yesterday with the tascam 800, everything mic'd with an AT 2020 except programming the drums with midi controller, decent quality at least for my ears :P https://soundcloud.com/franciscofuenzalida/falsas-salidas
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Dec 23, 2013,