Hi Guys.

I bought one of those DIY resonator kits off of ebay recently for a fun project.

I'm stumped by one of the items in the kit however:

I've expertly circled the item in question
It looks as if it sits in the spider's groove, but it has an audio jack on the other end, with no other component to marry up with it!

Anyone know what this is?

Cheers!
Seems like a pickup to me.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Yeah I thought it was a pickup too for the actual resonator bit of the guitar; the audio jack coming off of it is what confuses me though. Not sure what it'd plug into!
Maybe contact the kit manufacturer and ask them what it is. A piesio pickup for under the bridge saddle perhaps? I see two truss rod covers. Where's the bridge?
Last edited by Guitbuilder at Dec 16, 2013,
Quote by -MintSauce-
It's a piezo pickup, which needs to be connected to a preamp.

Ahh, thanks! that's steered me in the right direction.

Quote by Guitbuilder
Maybe contact the kit manufacturer and ask them what it is. A piesio pickup for under the bridge saddle perhaps? I see two truss rod covers. Where's the bridge?

The bridge is 2 items to the left of the circled pickup.
It didn't actually come with 2 covers, maybe it was a mistake their end!
That's the tailpiece, and the bridge. It's a stock photo, so your parts may vary.
There's an electric Dobro resonator guitar on Ebay right now that looks like your kit.
I found some great resonator setup information at www.stewmac.com. There is a bridge in the spider. I think you make it out of the piece of wood pictured next to the rear cover plate.
The guitar is all set up now apart from Piezo, but it's in place ready to be sorted out.
It sounds naughty!

Reference the Piezo; if it needs to be connected to a pre amp, wouldn't the guitar end up with 2 input jacks? I may not bother with setting up the piezo to be fair as it already has the mini humbucker installed; the piezo's wire interferes with the resonator's seating causing a slight rattle.

Definitely a fun project for anyone looking to make their own guitar!
Quote by Guitbuilder
There's an electric Dobro resonator guitar on Ebay right now that looks like your kit.
I found some great resonator setup information at www.stewmac.com. There is a bridge in the spider. I think you make it out of the piece of wood pictured next to the rear cover plate.

Yeah the bridge is the piece of wood to the right of the bottom truss rod in the image.

It's slanted to acommodate the different strings!