Hello, I just received my Blackstar ID15 TVP and I am experiencing a tonality issue.
I have upgraded to the latest firmware etc - I am using an Ibanez RG821 which has passive pickups(although I don't think it's a guitar issue since I tested with another amp).

The issue is: When I play a B note on different places on the neck there is an increase in volume if I can put it that way. So it happens on low E string 7th fret - the volume of the muted string increases, same thing if I play it on A string 2nd fret or on 19th fret of High E string there is a very high pitch sound coming out. I also have a Peavey Vypyr 30w and that doesn't happen when I use that amp.

Basically I can't play on the 19th fret - high E the pitch goes so high it makes your ears bleed. I can't figure what this issue might be?

Also here's an mp3 file of the issue so you can listen to it:
https://soundcloud.com/tas-fil/blackstar-id15-issue
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
I guess I didn't really hear anything. I was going to tell you to upgrade the firmware and do a hard reboot but it sounds like you've done that already. If it is really bothersome, I would just replace it under warranty and get another one. TBH - I'm kind of curious as to why you bought it in the first place (I hope that didn't come across as derogatory - it just seems like a side-step from the Vypyr and I have a Vypry 60, which I love dearly )

I didn't really hear a high pitch that would make my ears bleed but maybe I did hear something like a loose screw or something? Like a high pitched rattle I suppose? Is that what you are referring too? Maybe tighten down every screw you can get access to without taking it apart. If you take anything apart you could negate your warranty so check with Blackstar before going crazy tightening down screws but if that is what you are talking about I can see how that would bother you.

It is a 'fit and finish' issue or it is possible a screw came a little loose during shipment.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 16, 2013,
No rattle, it's like the bass/volume(or pick response) increases on several notes like you hear it on the souncloud I linked. It could be a noise gate issue although I tried it with the setting disabled and still no go. The issue it creates is that when playing the sound/volume isn't consistent throughout the whole guitar neck which is a problem you can't live with.

Overall it's better than the Vypyr - the tones are more realistic and you can also record with it. I had some issues with the Vypyr that's why I bought the Blackstar.

If more people that own these series of amps could do the test and let me know it would be great. I did try a firmware reset as well but that didn't fix anything, when I plug the guitar to the vypyr this issue is gone so it doesn't seem to be gear related(guitar/cables/room etc).

Could it be that I have the amp placed on my desk(same with vypyr though) so it's on ear level?

Last edited by zefs at Dec 17, 2013,
I see.

That's just it. I didn't really hear a volume increase as you went through the notes but exporting that to MP3 and then uploading to Soundcloud could have dimished that. Maybe it is still real promininent in your ears because you've heard it so many times.

You could maybe try again with digital camera or something.

As far as the problem goes, it seems more software/firmware related so get in touch with Blackstar and go from there.

PS: I can't stand the tone of my Vypyr at ear level - it has to be on the floor.
Yeah that's what I thought. I also think the Blackstar has less distortion so I wasn't able to "find" my tone, I plugged the Vypyr again and I enjoyed playing a lot more.
Wish I could record properly with it. Also I wish the Blackstar would live up to my expectation but this seemed like a downgrade, I will soon return it.

I thought of purchasing a SM57 for recording but the PC speakers are near the Vypyr on my desk, do you think that would interfere with the recording? If yes what other option do I have?(other than purchasing a bigger vypyr which wouldn't be an option since it won't fit on my desk).

I want to be able to play along with a song that comes out of the PC speakers, but also record my playing and then use my recording over a backing track. So I thought of using my camera while I play along with the song then replace the camera's audio with the recording from SM57.

Last edited by zefs at Dec 17, 2013,
I use a SM57 to record my Vypyr and then a Line 6 UX1 as an interface.

I don't have the greatest guitar playing or recording skills but I my Vypyr Diezel clips in my profile are pretty decent.

I've also done the SM57 audio recording over camera video thing too.

I am assuming you have VERY limited space
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I use a SM57 to record my Vypyr and then a Line 6 UX1 as an interface.

I don't have the greatest guitar playing or recording skills but I my Vypyr Diezel clips in my profile are pretty decent.

I've also done the SM57 audio recording over camera video thing too.

I am assuming you have VERY limited space

Yes I do, I can't fit anything bigger or louder(master volume is below 1) than the vypyr 30w on my desk. I don't like placing the amp on the floor and also there is no room for it.

So except the SM57 I need an audio interface as well to record? I thought I could connect the SM57 directly to PC and do that?

And what about the PC speakers that are near the amp? Would the microphone pickup that noise? Thanks for being helpful by the way.