First, i don't know if this is the right forum for this one but mods may please move it if it is.

Now to topic.

Have anyone here had some sort of cramp in their wrist while playing guitar?

I get this on a regular basis when i go nuts and goes on a practice run for 15-20 hours a day and what to do about this cramp?

For now ( when i have it ) i can only play for 10 minutes MAX at a time and then i need to rest for like 20-30 minutes before i can properly move my hand.

Love Syobdaed
Something must be very off in your general technique, or you had a pre-existing injury that is flaring up. If you haven't had a wrist injury in the past, then you're going to have to find out what in your technique and hand positioning is causing it. If you don't stretch before playing each day, you're going to want to start doing that as well. I'm guessing that your left wrist is the one that cramps? If you're getting cramps regularly then you're pretty much guaranteeing a lifelong injury to that wrist if you continue without changes.
Quote by Vlasco
Something must be very off in your general technique, or you had a pre-existing injury that is flaring up. If you haven't had a wrist injury in the past, then you're going to have to find out what in your technique and hand positioning is causing it. If you don't stretch before playing each day, you're going to want to start doing that as well. I'm guessing that your left wrist is the one that cramps? If you're getting cramps regularly then you're pretty much guaranteeing a lifelong injury to that wrist if you continue without changes.

Yes it's my left hand. I broke my wrist a couple of years ago if that matters?

It's not regularly but when i go on crazy practice runs wich lasts a couple of days with like 30 mins rest each day and 15-20 hours of practice.
It could be related to the broken wrist, but you'll have to ask a doctor in person if that seems to be the problem.

Practicing for a super long time can definitely be bad for your wrists. The solution just might be to not play 20 hours in a row.

A lot of practice can be very good, but not if it hurts you.
Quote by Vlasco
It could be related to the broken wrist, but you'll have to ask a doctor in person if that seems to be the problem.

Practicing for a super long time can definitely be bad for your wrists. The solution just might be to not play 20 hours in a row.

A lot of practice can be very good, but not if it hurts you.

Yeah i've been thinking myself that the broken bit and the long practice connects, I just go crazy sometimes but i've compressed my practice quite alot to be kinder to my wrist and also more efficent.
20 hours in a day?

I think the cramp is your body's way of telling you that it doesn't want to do that for that long. Listen to your body or you'll regret it.

I had a friend who practiced a lot and developed tendinitis in his shoulder. He was never able to play for any more than 15-20 minutes at a time once that happened.

Tendinitis doesn't go away. You learn to manage it and adapt, which generally means NOT doing the things that led you to get it in the first place.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
dude last night when i was trying to sleep i got this weird thing in my left wrist between my index finger and thumb that hurt so bad. Like i seriously couldn't move my hand in any way without extreme pain. I had to shake my hand and stretch it in all these weird ways till it got a little better. This morning it was gone completely. Is that carpal tunnel?
Yeah, as i said, i go nuts sometimes because of different reasons.

I've compressed my routine down alot to focus on more important parts wich also made it alot shorter.
I would advise not to play 15 hours in a row, that is probably what's causing the cramp. Most guitarists that study a lot usually don't pass 8 hours in a day, and while it's good to be dedicated, if you don't know what you are practicing you won't get much better. Just tone it down a bit and you'll be fine. And also, before playing make sure to warm up your fingers with some exercises or something, and stretch if you're gonna play for a lot of time. A couple years back I would play for 3-4 hours a day and I definitely got to see improvement in my playing, so don't worry about that, focus on your health first.
I've had problems with tendonitis way before I started playing guitar. I was doing fine until I moved onto a thicker necked guitar and then it flared up bad. I took a week break due to vacation and now I always do some hand stretching before I begin. That has completely allieveated the pain. Any time I have had a bad flare up I found it helps to sleep with a wrist brace.