My wife and I would like to reward our son for staying out of trouble and getting his stuff together in school. He has a 2010 Gibson SG Standard ( his pride and joy ) and we were thinking of upgrading it...pickups,bridge,tuners? We were wanting some pointers on which brands are better then what comes factory from Gibson. Our son has mentioned Tonepros before and my wife and I have looked at their website and it looks like the TP6 would be the correct replacement? Is it even an upgrade? The bridges look the same...? What about the saddles? Graphite or Nylon? Oh, now would be a good time to talk about the style of music he plays He loves old rock, which is great for me and the Mrs. because we love that stuff, Leslie West, Joe Walsh, etc. , Joe Bonamassa... pretty much anything that has that bluesy/ rock crunch to it. Having said that we were thinking of getting some '57 Classic Humbuckers to replace the 480/490 that came in it. Our son has talked about them before so we figured go with it unless you have a better suggestion. Anyway, thanks for your time reading this and thanks in advance for the suggestions.
I'd "upgrade" the volume pots to 500K if his SG has 300K ones stock.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
there are many different combos and choices to make. I might suggest getting a gift certificate to one of the larger guitar places like sweetwater or musiciansfriend and let him decide. The world of guitar modifying/upgrading is a dark scary world filled with misinformation and crazy claims. Ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

With the store credit/gift certificate route you can work with your son and make the decision together. That way you are rewarding him and he is doing the homework and working to do the research to ensure his choices are the best for him. Just my opinion.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
zenbone...

yeah, we thought about that but we kinda want it to be a surprise. Think we'll just go with the 500k pots, Tonepros bridge w/ Graphite saddles and the '57 pickups since he's mentioned them before. Can't wait to see his face when he plugs it in after we have the work done. Should be fun =)
There really is not anything to upgrade on a Gibson SG standard, they already have top notch components.
Pretty sure the SG standard has 57's stock
The tonepros bridge is no better than the stock bridge (which could very well be made by Tone-Pro's)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If your gonna get him an amp like that, Two Rock, Matchless or Dr.Z would be the way to go

just kidding. The AC15 would be plenty and it will save you a few bucks
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
There really is not anything to upgrade on a Gibson SG standard, they already have top notch components.
Pretty sure the SG standard has 57's stock
The tonepros bridge is no better than the stock bridge (which could very well be made by Tone-Pro's)

if the pots are 300k i'd say they're worth upgrading- it's not really an "upgrade" since the lower value ones aren't lower quality, just arguably the incorrect value. I'd need to check mine to make sure they're 300k, but i suspect they are- it feels like you can't quite turn the volume knob up the whole way and it's a bit dark-sounding.

the new 2013 sg standards have classic 57s but the older ones have the 498t/490R combo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Verstohlen
Hmmmm...well, maybe we'll just get him a VOX AC30C2 and call it good =)

are you looking at having any more kids....if so I would greatly appreciate you adopting me.

...and if so then congratulations are in order becuase you´re grandparents now too.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Maybe get him a POD xt by line 6. It has hundreds if not thousands of amps and effects to run through his existing amp. It also has a headphone jack so he can play untill his ears bleed without everyone having to hear him. The POD is better than a new amp that gives his Gibson only one new sound.
Trying to up grade a Gibson is alot of work for not much improvement in tone to me.
I'm sure this is too late but I'm gonna say what I'm sure everyone's thought:

If my dad crept into my room, "stole" my pride and joy then hacked it apart and "upgraded" it to a random spec picked by strangers on a website - even a bunch of knowledgable strangers like us - I would openly strike him where he stood and apply for a parental divorce on the grounds of wilful cruelty.

A players tone is his own journey, no one else should mess with that journey.... And it's not like its a squire or anything, its a GOOD guitar!

A much much better idea would be buy him the amp of HIS choice and a good professional setup will radically upgrade the playing of his guitar without touching his tone.

If it is too late then let me know what you went for in the end just out of interest
Quote by Silord1
I'm sure this is too late but I'm gonna say what I'm sure everyone's thought:

If my dad crept into my room, "stole" my pride and joy then hacked it apart and "upgraded" it to a random spec picked by strangers on a website - even a bunch of knowledgable strangers like us - I would openly strike him where he stood and apply for a parental divorce on the grounds of wilful cruelty.

A players tone is his own journey, no one else should mess with that journey.... And it's not like its a squire or anything, its a GOOD guitar!

A much much better idea would be buy him the amp of HIS choice and a good professional setup will radically upgrade the playing of his guitar without touching his tone.

If it is too late then let me know what you went for in the end just out of interest

My dad would kick your ass for being a little shit

If my kids ever try something like that, I'll kick their asses too. and if they want to call the police, they'll have a reason to be removed from my house by the time the police get there

But yeah, I'd leave the guitar alone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
My dad would kick your ass for being a little shit

If my kids ever try something like that, I'll kick their asses too. and if they want to call the police, they'll have a reason to be removed from my house by the time the police get there

But yeah, I'd leave the guitar alone

Fair enough if I was a 'kid' but I'm 34 and I'm allowed to disagree with my dad these days!
Quote by Silord1
Fair enough if I was a 'kid' but I'm 34 and I'm allowed to disagree with my dad these days!

Yeah I'm 35, but my dad would still kick my ass. But I could not hit him out of shear respect and the fact he instilled the fear of god in me at a young age
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just out of interest how did this turn out? What did you go for in the end?