So, I'm buying my first electric guitar, and I've narrowed it down to the pacifica 112v(mx).
Basically 112vm is the 112v with a maple fretboard (as opposed to rosewood), and 112vmx is the 112vm with a natural finish.
I've read about maple vs rosewood for the fretboard, and it seems that it's mainly a matter of look and playability, rather than sound… so I*would go with maple, because I*think it looks nicer, but it also seems like rosewood fretboards rule the market =/

For example, amazon.com has the 112v but not the 112vm.
I try to find the 112vmx elsewhere on the Internet but it's hard, I*found it in some stores but they're from the UK*and I'm in Canada, so it's a no-go.
where are you, the USA?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Most Yamaha electric guitars are not actually sold in North America, despite a good deal of internet marketing suggesting otherwise. Just buy what you can actually get.
100% honesty:

Yamaha guitars have a pretty decent rep, at least as entry-level guitars...and the TVL. Recommending a Pacifica as a starter guitar is easy to do.

Dean Zelinsky has been in the guitar making business for decades- his first company was Dean, his second was DBZ, but this new one has only had guitars on the market for about half a year. Most of the inexpensive ones are made in Indonesia, and AFAIK, the high-end ones will all be made in the USA. I personally intend to buy one of the Tagliare z-glides at the very least, but have not as yet. I have other priorities at the moment.

Early reviews have been positive, however, and the video demos on YouTube look & sound pretty good. But we're still kind of in the "honeymoon period" of those early buyers. So how good they are is still an open question.

But I'm pretty confident here decent axes. Dean Z seems pretty proud of his rep, and his companies have tended to produce their best stuff when he's in charge. (QC issues and other disputes are often cited as reasons why he has vacated his past companies.). So, like I said, I fully intend to buy one myself.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 17, 2013,
If you can find a store that carries yamaha electrics, just ask them to order one in for you. The Canadian website lists them, so a Canadian dealer should be able to get it for you. The US site doesn't list them(or the newer pacificas), so you probably can't get them there. Amazon.com won't have them for this reason.

I would phone the store directly and ask, generally most stores carry more than what is on the website. And most stores will match any online or advertised price.

Some stores only carry the yamaha acoustics and not the electrics, not sure if this is because of deals made with other vendors or not. These stores tend to carry a lot of epiphones in stock.(insert conspiracy here).
yamaha's are great for modding, i live in the US so this one was cheap on craigslist.

was natural originally.

they have good bones, but the electronics are still weak.

what i'm saying is that, if you find that you can't get a yamaha strat in canada for a decent price, then make sure the brand you settle on has a nice alder wood body, and smooth neck. the rest can be swapped out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Guys, I*heard maple fretboards aren't good for people who sweat a lot, because they become sticky, is that true?
Quote by sam113101
Guys, I*heard maple fretboards aren't good for people who sweat a lot, because they become sticky, is that true?

No.
Quote by jpnyc
No.

Shit, I don't know which one to choose ;_;
What are the differences between a maple and rosewood fretboard other than look?
Does it affect sound?
Which one is easier to play on?
Which one is easier to clean?
Which one needs more maintenance?
Is there one that lasts longer than the other?
^ maple is slightly brighter with a faster attack; rosewood is warmer- and softer-sounding.

rosewood might be slightly easier to care for, but i wouldn't worry about it really, just get whichever you prefer. neither is going to means that you can't play certain tunes or anything like that, just some players prefer one or the other (and plenty don't care).

I like maple, there's something about it I just like- but I like rosewood too, if that makes sense.

Quote by sam113101

I dunno about that. depending on the finish on them they can get dirty faster, but it really just depends on which you prefer.

that's how i'd say pacifica, fwiw. just "pacific" with an "a" on the end.

I have a ****ed up northern ireland accent, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 18, 2013,
Other question: which amp should I*buy? I*read the microcube gx is a good amp for a beginner (good value for the price), but I*must admit I*spent more time searching for the perfect guitar than for the perfect amp.
The cube is available for $150 which is… about the maximum I'm ready to pay.

I don't care if the amp is portable or not, but I*think the smaller they are the least expensive they are.
I just want a good sound at a reasonable price.

I realize I haven't talked about the kind of music I*like yet.
I like rock like Queen, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Clapton, Ratt, etc.
I also like shoegaze (Slowdive, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, etc.) but I'm not sure I would actually *like* to play that kind of music. It has heavy distortion which sounds good, but I'd like to play the solo kind of songs. You know, something like Maggot Brain.
I'm not really into metal, the only metal songs I*like are the soft ones.
I'd save up my money and get a small (30w or less) Fender, Carvin or Vox tube combo amp, and use pedals to dirty up the signal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 18, 2013,
the vox mini3 is pretty nice too for one of those minimodellers like the microcube. more amp models and arguably better lower gain tones, which might be useful if you don't play metal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i've only tried the original mini3... and the original microcube based on those, I'd say the mini3 is more versatile and does the lower gain tones better, but the microcube has the edge for heavier tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?