Hey Guys,

Im not even sure if octaves is the right term for this lol. But I had a question, And I was hoping that someone could help me out. Ive been going over tabs and trying to understand how this works. Lots of bands I like (No use for a name, The Ataris, nofx) all do this. They will have 2 guitarist and they will play some thing like this.

Guitar 1:
e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-----------------4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4----------------------------|
D|7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5------------|
A|5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5------------|
E|----------------3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-----------------3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3------------|

while guitar 2 plays over the top with this:

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|7-7-7-14-14-14-12-11-7-7-7-14-14-14-12-16-14-12-11-9-7-7-7-7---------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|5-5-5-12-12-12-10--9-5-5-5-12-12-12-10-14-12-10--9-7-5-5-5-5---------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I know this is guitar theory, and Ive never learned that or taken guitar lessons. So I was hoping someone could tell me how musicians know that playing:

x

goes well with

Can someone explain it, or provide me a link that would show me a concept of how to figure it out.

Sorry if this made no sense, and I sound dumb. Just want to get better at the guitar as I love playing it so much.

Thanks Guys,

Branson
Last edited by Bransonf at Dec 16, 2013,
Learning theory will help you figure out why this makes sense musically.

That said... the kind of people who write this music will not be the kind of people who do anything by theory, that will come from them playing with the song until it sounds the way they want it to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learning theory will help you figure out why this makes sense musically.

That said... the kind of people who write this music will not be the kind of people who do anything by theory, that will come from them playing with the song until it sounds the way they want it to.

Reference the links posted on my other question? Haha
Quote by Bransonf
Reference the links posted on my other question? Haha

Huh, so that was you as well, and here I was ready to copy-paste the answer whole-sale
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Huh, so that was you as well, and here I was ready to copy-paste the answer whole-sale

Haha yep. After I posted this one, I realized I had another question. So I created another topic.. But thanks for all the help, on both! haha
Yeah, like Zaphod said, all theory. Guitar one is playing (power-)chords in the key of B minor so guitar two plays octave-doubled notes in the key of B minor.