New guitar day, with 'new' being a seventy year old Gibson "Banner" LG-2 (1943)

I actually got this guitar back in late July. I had been causally looking for an LG-2 for a while. I got it on a whim, offered a price I thought was too low for the guitar and ended up getting it.

Like many old guitars the neck angle had worked its way up over time. As a result a neck reset was needed. I dropped it off to my luither friend for a neck reset and replacing the tuners (stock ones were shot and the buttons had disintegrated). While doing the work addressed some other issues and made some improvements. He planed and refretted the neck, replaced the bridge plate, made a new saddle, added new un-slotted bridge bins and did some minor touch up work to make it look all pretty.

Sounds like a lot but it's all fairly standard stuff for a vintage acoustic instrument. Anyways here is some pics...

The guitar plays incredibly well now, couldn't be happier. Being an all mahogany body the guitar has a great woody tone with a great balanced tone. The guitar is surprisingly loud for a small bodied guitar, really projects and cuts well. The neck is absolutely giant (think baseball bat) which is one reason I love Banner Gibsons.

If you want a super interesting read on Gibson acoustic guitars and the incredibe women who built the "Banner" Gibsons while the men were off at WWII I highly recommend John Thomas' "Kalamazoo Gals". http://www.amazon.ca/Kalamazoo-Gals-Extraordinary-Gibsons-Guitars/dp/0983082782
Very nice, it's in amazing condition in comparison to the couple I have seen in person. That is definitely a keeper.
beautiful ! that's an incredible guitar ! i had a B25 for a very short time, no way i could get used to the very thin 1 5/8" neck. that LG2 has a much wider neck... i could play that for months on end.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
very nice - you scored! reminds me a bit of my husband's 1936 kalamazoo.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by stepchildusmc
beautiful ! that's an incredible guitar ! i had a B25 for a very short time, no way i could get used to the very thin 1 5/8" neck. that LG2 has a much wider neck... i could play that for months on end.

This has a nut width of 1 3/4" and a neck carve/profile like a baseball bat. The neck is seriously huge.

I know what you mean on that B-25. Those 60's necks were ridiculously small.