Hello everyone, I'm new to these forums. I'm a guitarist in a metal band called Of Shadows and I have a problem. Whenever we're playing live my leads get drowned out by the rest of the band and no one can ever really hear them. Is this a dynamics problem or is there some kind of pedal out there i can use to really make my leads stand out? Currently Im using a steven carpenter 7 string with active pick-ups, into a boss ns-2 noise suppressor, into my blackstar head, that plays through my peavey windsor cab and i turn on the reverb when playing my leads but that seems to not be enough. i also have a boss metal zone, flanger, and a dunlop crybaby wah that i have the option of immediately adding if they'll help. thanks in advance for any advice
Boost pedal maybe? But yeah, check your mids
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
my mids sit around noon or 1 o'clock, i thought that was plenty high, and this may be a dumb question but what exactly does the boost pedal boost, just my volume? is that like a sonic maximizer? i notice a lot of guitarists using those
A boost in front of the amp adds distortion. If you just want extra volume, put it in the fx loop. Use an EQ in the loop.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i bet a V30 speaker could fix this problem
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Try using your Metal Zone as a boost. Turn the distortion knob as low as you can, and turn the volume up as loud as you need to be for solos. Then turn the lows down a bit.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
what is your rig? what size cab? what type of guitar? what are your EQ settings?

chances are, upp your mids more, perhaps turn down the bass a bit

turn down the gain a little bit 1-2 more notches. if your gain needs to be past 7-9, you have the wrong amp.

get some form of boost or mid boosty overdrive. tube sreamer or something. a clean, flat EQ boost may perhaps work, but it may not help as much as EQ shaping. this is why people love the screamer. reduced / tightens the lows, boosts the mids, adds gain and volume.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
If you are happy with your tone I'd just get a boost pedal for increased volume. I stick a six band EQ in my effects loop and it boosts the volume for my leads/solos and allows me to tweak some (I increase the mids but not the highs so my tone doesn't get too ice-picky).

There are other boost pedals like the MXR Micro Amp, Boosta Grande, JHS Mini Bomb, etc. Here is a nice description from JHS's site on using a boost:

When placed before your overdrives or distortions, a thicker, stronger and more saturated tone can be achieved. When placed after, you get your exact same tone except louder. This is great for lead passages and for causing a tube amp to naturally overdrive due to its huge amount of headroom. You will notice a slight touch of presence that lets your tone cut through the mix for those passes that you really want to stand out.

So yeah, I'd just nab a boost pedal and use that for a simple volume increase. Some allow you to add more gain too if you'd like to do that for the leads and solos.
Another option if you want a boost with more flexibility is an EQ pedal (MXR 10-band if you have a decent budget; Danelectro Fish n' Chips is a solid dirt cheap option that works well). Bump up the mid sliders a bit to help you cut through, then increase the overall output. Running it in front of the amp will give you a slight gain boost, while running it in the loop will cause a volume boost.
Quote by gumbilicious
i bet a V30 speaker could fix this problem

An Alnico Blue or Gold would do it better IMO
But thats an extra $150 - $200. Each.

On a more serious note, an EQ in the loop would be better.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 16, 2013,
In addition, reverb can bury you in the mix, especially if you don't turn up your volume.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
yeah a lot of time based effects begin to take away a lot of attack or perhaps completely kill it into a blur of ambient fluff...which can be cool , but not for crushing, heavy strummed or solo'ed higher gain music.

how are you running the EQ on the amp and the EQ on the metal zone? mids up. on one or both. that will help greatly. remember, a clean boost may not be effective if you general tone does not cut through.

there is a BIG difference between what sounds good in your bedroom / studio and what sounds good onstage.

MOST BIG ARTISTS DO NOT RUN THIER RIGS THE SAME FOR BOTH!!!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Tube screamer is sounding like the way to go, im working on uploading a pic of my eq but having issues now this is kind of a noob question but ive never really known, whats the effects loop for? how's it different from just running things through the front of my amp?
Quote by beardedmonster
Tube screamer is sounding like the way to go, im working on uploading a pic of my eq but having issues now this is kind of a noob question but ive never really known, whats the effects loop for? how's it different from just running things through the front of my amp?

Effects loop is after the pre amp (the place where distortion usually comes from, at least in higher gain genres). If you run pedals in front of the amp, they are placed before the pre amp. If you boost the input volume of an already overdriven amp, you will just get more gain but not more volume. Boosting input volume = adding gain, that's what the gain knob does (or actually what gain knob does is it reduces the input volume if it's not maxed). If the amp is not overdriven, a boost pedal will add volume. And if your distortion comes from the pre amp and you want a volume boost, you want to place the boost pedal after the distortion (pre amp). That's what FX loop is for. It is also good for time based effects (delay, reverb, looper) and modulation effects (chorus, phaser, etc) because they can get pretty unclear and muddy sounding when placed before distortion.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by CodeMonk
An Alnico Blue or Gold would do it better IMO
But thats an extra $150 - $200. Each.

On a more serious note, an EQ in the loop would be better.

agreed. i'd prefer one of those.

weber does do an affordable ceramic version of the blue dog (i have the alnico one) that sounds great. definitely cuts in the mix.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Next time you play, try clicking your cry baby on & leave it toe down for the solos. It will boost the mid range. It may solve it, it may not, but it will cost nothing to try
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!