Hello,

I am looking to get my next acoustic guitar. I used to be an electric player primarily, but that switched a few years ago. When I played electric, I had a Gibson SG Standard, Vox AC15, and a few pedals. I ended up selling all that gear though. Anyway, I've been playing acoustic for the last four years, and have been wanting to upgrade my guitar for three years. Now, I'm going off to college, so my father said that he'd buy me a guitar. I'm looking to get some feedback on my possible choices. I have played tons of guitars, but have now narrowed it down to the Taylor 814ce, and Martin GPCPA1 Plus.

I love both guitars. The Taylor is prettier in my opinion, but the Martin is none the less beautiful. Currently, I am leaning toward the GPCPA1. It seems more versatile, has a more comfortable neck, better playability, and has some low-end response that the Taylor doesn't have.

I often write my own music, but here are some artists that I typically play: John Mayer, Neil Young, Jason Mraz, Dave Matthews, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan. I definitely John Mayer the most.

I've heard that the Aura system is better than the ES as well. My father is concerned about the Richlite fretboard on the GPCPA1. I haven't heard anything negative about Richlite, just that it's not traditional like ebony. Through playing, I liked it a lot. However, my father thinks that Richlite won't last as long.

Which do you prefer? Which do you think I would prefer? Please help me out. Thanks. If anyone could link me to a deal they found on one of these guitars, that would be great as well.
you would have to compare the martin to the 816ce to be a little more fair. the martin's larger body over the 814 makes a huge difference. have you A/B'ed them side by side?
i'm probably a minority in thinking that i like taylor's necks more. i've been thru 3 martins in the last year. i just can't get past the fluid ease of my taylor's necks vs the neck on the martins. i have not tried the performing artist series yet though. maybe they are onto something with the new neck profile.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
you would have to compare the martin to the 816ce to be a little more fair. the martin's larger body over the 814 makes a huge difference. have you A/B'ed them side by side?
i'm probably a minority in thinking that i like taylor's necks more. i've been thru 3 martins in the last year. i just can't get past the fluid ease of my taylor's necks vs the neck on the martins. i have not tried the performing artist series yet though. maybe they are onto something with the new neck profile.

I don't think you're a minority, I've heard great things about the Taylor necks. What's A/B'ed mean? I've played them both, a lot, and used them hooked up to amps. The neck on the performing artist series is much different than the rest of Martins.
A/B means playing them side by side. either guitar would be a lifer for me. i couldn't see myself getting rid of either so choosing the right one would be important. i don't think you would be unhappy with either. if you've played them both and you lean toward the Martin, by all means...it's the one for you. all three( D15M, HD28Vand a 000-28EC) of my martins needed some form of setup done to make them play as easily as the taylors and even then they fell just a little short in comfortability for me.
Quote by stepchildusmc
A/B means playing them side by side. either guitar would be a lifer for me. i couldn't see myself getting rid of either so choosing the right one would be important. i don't think you would be unhappy with either. if you've played them both and you lean toward the Martin, by all means...it's the one for you. all three( D15M, HD28Vand a 000-28EC) of my martins needed some form of setup done to make them play as easily as the taylors and even then they fell just a little short in comfortability for me.

I totally agree with you on the comfortability of the Martin's neck. Awhile ago, I was set on the HD-28, but then that later changed. I still love the guitar, but I can't play the HD-28 like I can an 814ce.
advice? you've pretty much settled on the Martin.. if you want to do a true comparison, try it against an 816ce not the 814ce. i myself love the larger GS body style with maple. maple tends to be a bit too bright in the smaller GA's like a 614 but it mellows a lot in the larger GS. i find myself playing my 2 616's more than most other guitars( one's maple, the other's a '13 spring ltd Ebony back and sides...if you could get your hands on one of those... good luck though, only 113 made in the GS..there is a used one on Ebay though. couple of dings and asking retail still)
Although (generally) I don't like generalizations, I think that Taylor > > > Martins pretty much every time.