Page 1 of 2
I have just bought what looks like a Gibson for a very good price. I've tried to authenticate it by looking at the Blue books but for the life of me, I don't understand them. As far as I can see the guitar seems to be a Gibson "Standard" remake made after 2005, because it as a nine digit serial number. What worried me is that according to the Blue book, the last three digits only go as 699 whereas my guitar's serial ends in 720. Could there be a reasonable explanation? Is there a way I can get my guitar checked out online by sending photos or something?

Even if the guitar turns out to be a fake I'm happy with it but it would be nice to know whether I've been sold a pup!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post pictures. It's always really easy to tell a fake. Post close ups of the headstock/truss rod cover area, knobs, bridge, binding, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs

Ah man I totally feel for you if its fake. How much did you pay for it? Cause maybe its a nice guitar now, but if/when/inevitably you resell it...
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Why you people ask this question over and over and don't provide any photo's is baffling.

We are not clairvoyant guitar omen speakers.
Quote by hyper5
Why you people ask this question over and over and don't provide any photo's is baffling.

We are not clairvoyant guitar omen speakers.

Speak for yourself

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Email somebody at Gibson.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
If it says Tibson on it, it's probably fake.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Gock
Even if the guitar turns out to be a fake I'm happy with it but it would be nice to know whether I've been sold a pup!

so you'd be happy to pay $2000 for a $300 guitar, just because it plays nice?

say no, lie and say no please.
why do people think you can authenticate via dater?

dater once told me i had a 1967 les paul.

calling gibson, they told me the same thing.

there's no such thing.
^ Exactly, that site can't really determine if the guitar is real or fake, It just attempts to date it based on Gibson's SN conventions (not very well either). For instance, try putting in 12408333...

TS; You are correct that the SN on your guitar is a little bit fishy, the last three digits on 9 digit serials should not exceed 699. Email Gibson with some pics and info and they'll help you figure it out. Post some pics here too!
What, exactly, constitutes a "very good price"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Guys; Thanks for the help. The details are that I bought a guitar in China for the equivalent of €100, which is a ridiculously low price but as there is literally less than about 30 guitars in this city of 12 million people it might just be that they have absolutely no idea about guitars. There is a hefty dent out of the guitar but it's nothing that should cause any difference to the sound, so that could explain the low price.

Take a look at the pics and please tell me what you can.
Last edited by Gock at Dec 26, 2013,
Pics?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Host them with photobucket. It's free.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Can't upload pics as the attachment manager tells me they are too big. How the hell do I get around this?
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Never used Photobucket before.
Quote by Gock
Guys; Thanks for the help. The details are that I bought a guitar in China for the equivalent of €100, which is a ridiculously low price but as there is literally less than about 30 guitars in this city of 12 million people it might just be that they have absolutely no idea about guitars. There is a hefty dent out of the guitar but it's nothing that should cause any difference to the sound, so that could explain the low price.

Thats a HUGE red flag right there.
Photos are up on Photobucket. My user name is GOB5446.

Please take a look and tell me what you guys think. Yes, I know that buying a guitar cheap in China is a big red flag, but considering I only paid €100 for it and after checking it out it's a fully functioning guitar that might just be, if I'm lucky, real. If it's not, no great loss and I have a reasonable copy to play with for the rest of my time in China.
Use the image code and paste the link.

But yeah- if you bought it from China it is fake. Jus play it and don't sell it as a real Gibson when you go to part with it down the road.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Gock

Fxd

Blame me

WTF is that cut out and what looks like nut or bolt or something mounted at the rear of the neck.
And that white plate is normal, although it should be black.
"Gibson Deluxe" written on the tuners?
Headstock shape looks all wrong to me.
The "Les Paul" font on the truss rod cover looks wrong.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 26, 2013,
Code Monk:

So, pretty much all round you think it's a bogus guitar? Anyone else got any opinions? Any thoughts on the serial number?
Also, from the back, it looks like the neck is coming off of the body at a slight angle.
It should be straight.
Look here : http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2013-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar-108571910-i2800950.gc

Could be the angle of the photo though.

WTF is that cut out and what looks like nut or bolt or something mounted at the rear of the neck..

Now that I look at those pics again I see what you are talking about. There's no nut or bolt there. It's just some strange effect of the flash or a light reflecting off the very bottom of the neck.

I've put on a few more pics concerning what you said about the neck coming off the body at an angle. It most definitely does.

I've also found a Gibson forum where I'm going to ask but I am waiting for the admin to grant me posting permission.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/GOB5446/DSC02441_zps67c3363d.jpg
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/GOB5446/DSC02445_zps291a4b99.jpg
http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad163/GOB5446/DSC02443_zps43f7f6d8.jpg

Thanks for the help. I pretty much expected it to be a fake. I would have been exceptionally lucky if it wasn't. Ah well, It's still worth more to me than I paid for it.
Quote by Gock

So it's a fake
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well Seagull, I'm sure you can understand that, what with me having paid for this guitar and having enjoyed playing it so far, I'm a lot less likely to jump to any conclusion just because I got it cheap.
Quote by Gock

I've put on a few more pics concerning what you said about the neck coming off the body at an angle. It most definitely does.

He meant that it looks like the neck is joined to the body at an angle when looked at from the top or back. The neck is meant to be at an angle when viewed from the side as it's a set neck, which is also why there's no plate on the heel of the neck.

Also those tuners should say Kluson Deluxe, not Gibson Deluxe. The "Les Paul" font on the truss cover looks suspicious as well. Sorry to say that it does look like a fake.

Pull the pickups and see what it says on the bottom of them.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Gock
Well Seagull, I'm sure you can understand that, what with me having paid for this guitar and having enjoyed playing it so far, I'm a lot less likely to jump to any conclusion just because I got it cheap.

Not really, there's cheap and there's too good to be true.

If someone offered you a new Ferrari for 3000 euros would you not assume there was something iffy about it? When you said you got it for "a good price" I was assuming you meant you managed to snag it for about a grand, possibly even a bit less, and were just being a bit overly cautious.

Nobody's going to sell you a genuine Gibson for less than a 10th of what it's worth, the price alone is more than enough evidence to confirm it's a fake.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

s soon as you said I bought it from china I could tell you it's a fake. there are very few real Gibson LPs to be found there. my brother lives there and plays guitar. he travels to japan to buy axes as most that can be found locally (Beijing ) are either fake or really expensive if real)
Quote by Gock

Theres no way they get their hands on a real Gibson and only charge 100 euro for it. The import taxes here are so incredibly high, its just like how all Apple products are at least 10% more here.

Its also very unlikely that they don't have some sort of internet access they can use to price things. Most likely what happened is they saw your "guilo face" and realized they could rip you off easy.

That said, keep your eyes open for Chinese brand instruments. I actually bought an acoustic a few months back for $100 that has solid Sapele side/back and a spruce top. The big OEM factories like to order a bit more material and then use it to make their own brands sometime.
Well guys;

You'll be pleased to know that my bogus guitar, which I am now calling my Gobsin, is going well and I'm growing to quite like it. It's never going to be a Gibson, but it's well worth the pittance I spent on it, even if I was just to enjoy it for the six more months that I'm in China but I've now got an even dodgier looking "Gibson" case for it and I think I'll end up bringing it home with me. Now I think it's time for me to get a wah-wah and a distortion and start enjoying having an electric.
Quote by Gock
Well guys;

You'll be pleased to know that my bogus guitar, which I am now calling my Gobsin, is going well and I'm growing to quite like it. It's never going to be a Gibson, but it's well worth the pittance I spent on it, even if I was just to enjoy it for the six more months that I'm in China but I've now got an even dodgier looking "Gibson" case for it and I think I'll end up bringing it home with me. Now I think it's time for me to get a wah-wah and a distortion and start enjoying having an electric.

Glad you're happy with it. I bought a red "Gibson" ES335 a few years back for $150 (I knew it was a knock-off even though it said Gibson). It actually plays OK, & looks really nice, so I thought if I swapped out the pickups & bridge, I could make it sound good, but that didn't work out so well. The neck's got a couple weird spots, & I suspect I should've replaced the pots & wiring also. It was worth trying IMO, because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a hollow-body. Now I just play it without an amp while I watch TV at night, & I don't care if I spill beer on it or the dog knocks it in the fireplace
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Page 1 of 2