This thread is here as a service to the unthoughtful or late UGers out there who find themselves in a rush to try and find a good gift on the cheap or in a fly. Let us know your relationship to the giftee, a bit about them, and how much you're looking to spend. We'll give you the best suggestions we can. Some of my best gifts were other people's ideas. I know that I'm horrible when picking gifts for people that I'm not close to, so I figure this thread would help the likewise affected.

The more information you can give about the person the better recommendation we can give.

inb4 gift cards. Gift cards aren't personal, mang.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm thinkin fogmachines, all around
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Food. Food is always a good gift to people you don't know well enough. It doesn't clutter, it's enjoyable and it's even better if you made it yourself. I don't know half the people in my office so I'm just baking a bunch of mini peppermint donuts and pistachio macarons and I'm good.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by progdude93
as long as you don't get someone socks, you're fine.

What's wrong with socks?
Quote by Jackal58
everyones paid for except my parents. I was thinking a Roku player for Netflix since they always invite us over for a movie. But Im not sure.
Quote by kikaykitko
What's wrong with socks?

they're the shittiest, least creative, least imaginative gift you could give someone that says "i'd rather just spend $10 on you off the bat than spend any time at all thinking about anything that would possibly make you happy, even if just for a few moments"
New socks feel nice though.

I'm more or less sorted (mostly just cards and sweets to pick up) but I still need a present for my mum. Already picked her up a nice set of sculpted tea lights but that's just a wee thign that'll get chucked in with whatever else. There are plenty of tea light holders in the house already.

She does have blood pressure problems and a stressful job so anything that could help her relax would be dandy. Any ideas?
Quote by homeless-john
New socks feel nice though.

I'm more or less sorted (mostly just cards and sweets to pick up) but I still need a present for my mum. Already picked her up a nice set of sculpted tea lights but that's just a wee thign that'll get chucked in with whatever else. There are plenty of tea light holders in the house already.

She does have blood pressure problems and a stressful job so anything that could help her relax would be dandy. Any ideas?

Perhaps one of those cylindrical massagers?

If not, depending on her work environment you could get her some comfortable noise canceling headphones to cut out some of the extra noise traffic so she can focus?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
What do I get my dad?

He likes deep frying shit, drinking lots of alcohol (beer mostly), and World War 2.

I was thinking dry-rub spices? Every other year I just got him a 24 of Blue, I feel like changing it up this year.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

take them out to dinner, spend time with them

much better than some knickknack
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I'm thinkin fogmachines, all around

We have a winner seriously who doesn't love a fog machine. Fffsshhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by JustRooster
Perhaps one of those cylindrical massagers?

If not, depending on her work environment you could get her some comfortable noise canceling headphones to cut out some of the extra noise traffic so she can focus?

Don't know the kind of thing you're refering to but suggesting a "cylindrical massager" sounds a little bit dodgy. Noise canceling headphones aren't really pratical for her work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote by TunerAddict
take them out to dinner, spend time with them

much better than some knickknack

True but my family is all going out to dinner over the holidays already.

EDIT:
Quote by naedauuf
What do I get my dad?

He likes deep frying shit, drinking lots of alcohol (beer mostly), and World War 2.

I was thinking dry-rub spices? Every other year I just got him a 24 of Blue, I feel like changing it up this year.

Anything that helps him deep fry shit better is a good shout. Maybe even some kind of deep fry cook book to give him some ideas? Alternatively you could look into some fancier lagers/ales. I don't know enough about that to make any further suggestions really.
Last edited by homeless-john at Dec 17, 2013,
Quote by progdude93
they're the shittiest, least creative, least imaginative gift you could give someone that says "i'd rather just spend $10 on you off the bat than spend any time at all thinking about anything that would possibly make you happy, even if just for a few moments"

Depends. My dad loves getting socks because he pretty much wears out his work socks quickly. I like getting socks with cute patterns and prints. It would depend on the person. If they like socks, it can't be a shitty gift.

Quote by homeless-john

Aromatherapy stuff are nice. It can be anything: candles, lotions, bath wash, scented oils. Or a gift certificate for a spa/massage day.

I'm getting people mostly consumables this Christmas like teas, homemade baked goods and skincare stuff. If I had more money on me, I'd get people experience gifts instead (a wine tour for my dad and ballet tickets for my mom would've been awesome). Next year definitely.
Quote by Jackal58
I would love a pair of fuzzy knee high slipper socks. :3

And I'm broke this holiday season so I might not be able to get a gift for my boyfriend until next year. I will be cooking him an amazing dinner though, he loves my cooking.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by UltimateGuizar
I like getting socks and boxers because shopping is fucking stupid.

Yeah **** shopping
How do you make a signature? Is this a signature? Sig?.... Nature?..... Sigmund Freud?...... Nature Valley?.... Sigmund Fraud?..... Frankie Valli?.... ah, $!*@ it...
A new amp.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Should I get cologne for my fiance? It's something he'd never buy for himself but he really likes good quality scented products (I buy him a new bar of interesting soap every week or two to see what he likes and he really enjoys it, plus he likes all my different oils and things so I've been getting him different skin oils and lotions with essential oils for scents); he doesn't wear any deodorant or spray right now though and I was thinking of taking him shopping instead when we go to NYC
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I'm thinking about getting a new tablet for my parents. At the moment they have a crappy archos thing that runs really slow. I'm thinking about maybe a Samsung Galaxy tablet, but to be honest i haven't done that much research into it, so any suggestions would be welcome.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
What should I get for breakfast?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by progdude93
as long as you don't get someone socks, you're fine.

Socks are the best gift tho.