So I'm looking to buy a tube amp. I've had a Fender Frontman for too long now and I want a good amp that will last a very long time. I would be using it for gigs so I was thinking at least a 60 watt amp. I play from classic rock, hard rock to some modern metal so I'm looking for something versatile enough for that. As for the budget I'd like to stay below 2000 dollars, but if for a bit more there's something you think would be worth it feel free to suggest it
Is that in USD? Because if it is you have a ton of options (although I'm not sure what's available to buy in Uruguay, is the market limited?)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Hughes & Kettner Triamp.

You're gonna go from a frontman to a yet to be determined $2000 amp?!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The best classic tones would come with less headroom while the best metal tones would come with more. The way I see it you could go for either a jack-of-all-trades deal or lean towards one of those styles most while giving a little on the others. That being said, do you play one style more or play them all relatively equally? Head or combo? If head, does that budget with a cab or without? Also, as mentioned above, what currency? USD? Do you live in Uruguay like it says there?
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
You should answer the aforementioned questions. But as a preliminary recommendation, both Fender Supersonic and Laney VH100R are extremely versatile and high quality amps. They excel at clean tones, but will give you a nice rock crunch. With an OD pedal you'd easily drive either one into the extreme metal zone.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Dec 17, 2013,
I do live in Uruguay, and I was talking about 2000 USD, sorry I didn't specify.
I think I would prefer a combo amp as it would be easier to take to gigs and rehearsals.
I'd like the amp to be versatile if possible, otherwise I'd rather it leaned more to the hard rock sound than the classic one. I really like Mark Tremonti's tone at Alter Bridge.
The market here is pretty limited, there's a nice variety of Laneys, then there's the tipical Fenders and Marshalls, and I think I've seen some Bugeras too. But suggest any other brands because I might not buy the amp here.
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 combo gets my vote.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The Mesa Boogies sound great, I've been listening to some and watching reviews and I really like the Mark V, is there anthing similar but on a bit lower price range? What about Laneys? Is there any thing similar there?
Nothing is really going to touch a Mark V outside of maybe a Mark IV.

What is your used amp market like? Can you link us to a web site where you will buying? That might help.

There are no current production Marshalls I can really recommend personally. Some people however really like the JVM and the Vintage Moderns.

The only thing from Fender, unfortunately, that might appeal to you would be the SuperSonic.

For Laney look at the VH100 or VH50 and the new Lion Hearts.

Also, don't rule out a head and 212 cabinet over a combo. Some of these combos get pretty heavy because they have transformers AND speakers. They can sometimes also be prone to microphonics.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 17, 2013,
i love my MKIV, very versatile. i have it in an elaborate rig, but i can just get most anything within its reasonable realm. they do a lot. some things that most would never use (ex can run on a quad of 6v6's on tweed mode) who does that? i would like to hear though... lol.

even by itself it is pretty powerful. make sure no matter what you get the footswitch if you were to get a mkiv.

i wouldn't personally recommend any current products in production.

laney doesn't really seem to be in the states. i don't think i have ever see one, but from clips some sound pretty damn good.

______

also i + to 311's suggestion. a head and 2x12" cab. i own over a dozen heads and probably 8ish cabs and four combos. there is a reason they are YMMV
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What is your used amp market like? Can you link us to a web site where you will buying? That might help.

^^^.

Also, as someone mentioned above, combos can be heavy as shit depending on which combo you're talking about. I have a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and that sumbitch is 60lbs with no side handles and some 212s are heavier than that. I'd much rather have 30ish lbs in each hand than 60lbs in one hand or in two hands in front of me and bouncing off my knees as I walk Additionally, in your price range going with a separate cab might allow you to pick and choose speakers to fit your amp head and playing style.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
I should mention that if a combo amp is on the heavy side you can add some caster wheels to the bottom of it. It will make your life easier.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Okay I might go for the head + cab choice. I think in that way it would be easier to buy abroad and then bring it here.
What do you guy think of the Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII? I'm quite liking how it sounds. Also how should I go about buying a cab? What should I look for in one?
Here's the store where I might buy the cab if I go for that http://www.coutinhomusic.com/store/home.php?cat=291

Edit: Nevermind I just saw the price of the Triamp damn
Last edited by nico_9550 at Dec 18, 2013,
Quote by nico_9550
Okay I might go for the head + cab choice. I think in that way it would be easier to buy abroad and then bring it here.
What do you guy think of the Hughes and Kettner Triamp MKII? I'm quite liking how it sounds. Also how should I go about buying a cab? What should I look for in one?
Here's the store where I might buy the cab if I go for that http://www.coutinhomusic.com/store/home.php?cat=291

Edit: Nevermind I just saw the price of the Triamp damn

Used VH100 is probably what you want to find.

Otherwise, look into that IRT studio or IRT combo they have.

As far as cabs - I'd probably go for one of those Laney 212 cabs or find a use Harley Benton 212 cab as mentioned.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 19, 2013,
Can't go wrong with a HB cab for the price. With your budget you may have room for a nice custom made cab. Maybe check out Avatar? Would they ship to there?
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz