Hey guys,

Just wanted a heads up on replacing my pickups in my 1998 Epi Les Paul Studio.

I'm really not getting a great sound out of the stock pickups and I was thinking about changing them. I have a few questions about this.

1 - Is it worth spending the money on decent pickups if the guitar itself isn't the top of the range Gibson hardware?

2 - How much should I spend on replacement pickups? I've seen the whole lotta humbuckers by Seymour Duncan and had a look at Bare Knuckle both of which are fairly expensive but to me sound very nice.

3 - How complex will it be to replace the pickups?

Thanks
Quote by shandyman99
Hey guys,

Just wanted a heads up on replacing my pickups in my 1998 Epi Les Paul Studio.

I'm really not getting a great sound out of the stock pickups and I was thinking about changing them. I have a few questions about this.

1 - Is it worth spending the money on decent pickups if the guitar itself isn't the top of the range Gibson hardware?

Otherwise, save up & buy a new guitar.

2 - How much should I spend on replacement pickups? I've seen the whole lotta humbuckers by Seymour Duncan and had a look at Bare Knuckle both of which are fairly expensive but to me sound very nice.

3 - How complex will it be to replace the pickups?

Thanks

1) if you like the guitar- it's comfy, holds tune, etc.- yes. I'm planning on plunking some Vntage Vibes in a Dean EVO, and BKPs in a Cadillac- IOW, about as much in the pickups as the guitars cost.

2) only you can answer that.

3) the task is not that complex. I couldn't do it, though- I have no experience with modifiying electronic devices.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I would say take a look at guitar fetish pickups. You can get a set of good pups for like 60
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
Its absolutely worth it if you like and intend to keep the guitar. I have an Epi Sheraton for example that I put Seymour Duncans in. Just bought an Epi Les Paul that I will probably do some swapping in before too long.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
If you haven't already, I would upgrade the pots and whatnot before swapping in new pups. A good set of CTS pots and better caps along with a new jack and toggle switch can make a difference.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I would recommend looking into Railhammer pickups if you are looking for some great sounding humbuckers. I picked up the hammer/chisel set and really like it. They are best matched with 500k pots and a .22 cap. They are a nice mid-range price pickup set (coming in a little under $200 give or take).
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
I would recommend looking into Railhammer pickups if you are looking for some great sounding humbuckers. I picked up the hammer/chisel set and really like it. They are best matched with 500k pots and a .22 cap. They are a nice mid-range price pickup set (coming in a little under $200 give or take).

Love the RailHammers- what did you put yours in? And did you go for basic or covered?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Rather than double the cost of your guitar by spending a fortune on high end PUs you can get much better than stock Epis for reasonable prices. Stew Mac has Parson Streets PUs a complete set selling for the cost of a single SD. Some people have liked the GFS PUs as well and for slightly more Di Marzio has good ones too.
Moving on.....
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Love the RailHammers- what did you put yours in? And did you go for basic or covered?

I am building a guitar (PRS style body i picked up from Guitar Fetish). I actually ordered bridge covered with neck basic for a home built punkish look but since they were out of the basic i got the free upgrade to both covered.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.