Hi everyone! I've been playing guitar for a almost 8 years, but I never took it too seriously until 1 or 2 years ago. Currently I've an Epiphone Lp-100 with 2 x Hambucker and a Marshall Mg10 as amp. I have some money saved and I decide to spend it on a real amp (I know the guitar isn't good either, but I just hate this amp, anyway I plan to buy a new guitar too in a year or so). So I hope you can help me decide which amp should I buy, because I don't know much about amp technical specification (although I know about electronics), and don't have experience with tube sound neither, so i can't really tell if an amp sounds good pretty well.

What I'm looking for:
-A tube amp (not strictly, but I like tubes sound) not so big, but enough to play with it in rehearsal place or a small pub (15~30W).
-Budget: 500~600€ (600~800$)
-I usually play a LOT of styles, this is one of the problems I've been facing, i.e. I want to have good clean channel so I can play Jazz, Funk, Swing or Blues, but I want to be able to play Classic Rock, Indie Rock, Progressive Rock, Hard Rock, or even harder styles like QOTSA, Metallica or Tool too. I don't mind if I need to buy some effect to obtain some of the sounds I need, but I will appreciate if you tell me which one (or which type) to buy for each amp.

Some of the amps that I've been looking:
-Fender Blues Junior III: I like his cleans, but don't think the overdrive can cover all the styles i need.
-Vox AC15, Orange Tiny Terror: Love their sound (specially orange), but don't seem I can obtain a decent clean from this amps.
-Blackstar HT20/HT40: Was one of my favorites for all the variety of sounds you can get from it, but I've read some bad critics in this forum.
-I have to take a look at some Jet City, but don't really know which one, or if the amps are good.

Hope you can recommend me some other amps to look, or help me choose one of the ones I've listed. Thank you all!!

P.S.: Sorry for my English
Not sure what you were doing but the Vox AC15 has some of the best clean tones I've ever heard when I played one. I play stuff like the Stones, Beatles, Thin Lizzy, Rush etc. and the overdrive on it was pretty great too, I'm sure a pedal would get you up to the styles you requested like Metallica and Tool.

The Orange is probably slightly better for the higher gain side, the Vox for the clean/slightly overdriven. Fender Blues is great cleans, I personally prefer the shimmering of Vox. Blackstar I've never played, I've seen a local band play one and thought the gain settings were better than the few clean parts I heard.

Just my 2 cents
Jet City 2212C ...

Never had the chance to try one though. Heard it at a gig and I literraly fell in love with this amp.
Thanks for your answers!
@romaviolafan As far I have seen in the Vox AC15 (haven't tested it a lot), you can get a really cool clean tone, I liked a lot, but its a clean tone to play blues or classic rock, you can't even get close to a clean tone for a Jazz or Swing rhythm guitar for example, it's always too saturated IMO. I know this type of crystal clean tone might be difficult unless you get something more specific (like JC120), but many amps with separate clean channel get much closer to that than Vox AC15. Anyway, I might be wrong, I've just tested AC15 a bit, and watch a few Youtube reviews.

@Taz9 I'll take a look at that amp

I've been researching a little bit more and found two amps that a liked a lot:
-Bugera V22: like how it sound, and its pretty cheap.
-Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18: A bit off of budget, but love the sounds you can get out of this amp.

What do you think of them?
Last edited by javi9375 at Dec 17, 2013,
Maybe a used Traynor YCV40? I'm not sure what the used market is like where you are, or if you'd be willing to ship... Or you could try looking for a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville and get a good od/distortion pedal.

Bugera gets a bad reputation because they are cheap imports from China and had their fair share of reliability issues when they first rolled out. It seems like they solved most of their problems by now, though, and they do sound great for the price.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
^ thomann sells the ycv50b for a pretty good price. I've heard some complaints about its reliability, but it might be worth considering.

jet city is good but tends to be more aimed at heavier tones (depends on the model somewhat, to be fair- the 2x12 50 watt combo might be more of an all-rounder). good prices on thomann, they're hard to beat for the money (or even quite a bit more money) if they're suitable for the tone(s) you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My buddy has the Bugera V22 and I think it sound great, he has never had issues with his but have heard problems with that brand before.

The Jet City 2212C is a great amp I think, not sure your going to get the clean tone your looking for but never hurts to try one if you can.
Quote by jaymz9350
My buddy has the Bugera V22 and I think it sound great, he has never had issues with his but have heard problems with that brand before.

The Bugera V22 doesn't seem to share the design flaws like their bigger amp heads.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I have heard some bad things about the V22 in regards to the quality. I have an AC15C1 it is a great amp. I am intrigued by Blackstar amps, like you said they are so versatile and I would really look at one of those probably the ht20. Also I don't know what you would think about it but the new Orange Crush Pro 60 is actually really impressive for solid state because it is loud like a tube amp and is designed to sound like a Rockerverb. Thing weighs 40 Lbs.

Take your time and best of luck
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Hey! I definitely suggest the peavey classic 30 or a valveking 50, the 30 is a higher recommendation though. It will give you an amazing clean tone, and youcan have one used for extremely cheap probably 200 euro. Which means you wouldn't need to wait for the guitar upgrade.
Please heavily consider the Blaclstar HT-40. I have an Ht-50 head (the exact same amp, just in head form with 10 more watts). Let me tell you, this thing will give you any style that you need. I play anything from Metal to blues to 60s phsycodelic rock, and it kills in all of it. Go look up Rob Chapmans review of the HT-50 on YouTube. It'll give you a good idea of what you'll get. Whatever you pick, good luck to you!
Hey, thanks for your answers!

So, I research a bit into used market and find some amps I liked (can't find any Traynor tho). Right now I'm considering this options:

-Blackstar HT20 (or HT40, but I found an used HT20 pretty cheap)

-Engl Thunder 50 Reverb(ENGL E320 THUNDER): found one used for 420€, I tried one the other day and liked the versatility, IMO can cover all the styles I need and sound pretty good.

-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe: found a couple used for 500-600€, but don't know if I will be able to know if they are in good condition.

-Koch Jupiter: love the sound, and is not that expensive, so I can buy it new. Is a good amp?

-Peavy classic 30 and Carvin Nomad: Found both used at good price(350€ each), but not in my city so...Is the Carvin good amp?

-Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18: Still need someones opinion.

-Any new suggestion

Than you all!!
....I´d recommend trying them out. Never buy an amp without testing it with your gear and at the volumes you´ll be needing ;-)

I have a HT-100 blackstar but I seriously hate the tone in the 40-60 combo´s and would really recommend you putting it back to back with another amp of the same price and testing it before you buy...as for the critic it´s really because of their flawed marketing strategy (whether or not they´re all tube or not, which you´ve already stated you really don´t care too much about)in the states and price over there....most BS owners are really stoked with there amps and have played tubes for a while....quality wise they´re pretty decent and soundwise...well that´s up to you ;-)

the only other real recomendation I have is since you really haven´t found your tone yet...have a look at the gear your rolemodels are sporting, see if there is some kind of common denomenator and than base your search on that.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
just to point out, since you said you wanted a tube amp- the blackstar, koch and (I suspect, not certain) tubemeister are hybrid rather than all-tube. I also don't think the fender hot rod will have the versatility you want, its cleans are good but its od channels are pretty mediocre at best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just to point out, since you said you wanted a tube amp- the blackstar, koch and (I suspect, not certain) tubemeister are hybrid rather than all-tube. I also don't think the fender hot rod will have the versatility you want, its cleans are good but its od channels are pretty mediocre at best.

..........?

Quote by javi9375

What I'm looking for:
-A tube amp (not strictly, but I like tubes sound) not so big, but enough to play with it
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
hey i just read the title

i still think it's worth pointing out. he can get tubes in his price range and he wants tubes, ideally.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I haven't seen the schematics (not that it'll matter) of the Hughes & Kettner but I liked the Tubemeister 36 and it should be able to hit some of javi9375's requirements. Besides, it's so light and sexy.
Quote by javi9375
-Engl Thunder 50 Reverb(ENGL E320 THUNDER): found one used for 420€, I tried one the other day and liked the versatility, IMO can cover all the styles I need and sound pretty good.

You should get it, ENGL makes some great amps. Mine is great!
[..BLACKFIRE..]
@Blackst4r I'll take your advice about Bs-ht into account (dunno if this is the correct expression sorry xD)

@Dave_Mc I know that about the Hot Rod, but it covers much of my needs (specially the cleans which are difficult to find and I play a lot), and I guess I can add some effect to get a heavier tone. But this is one of the doubts I have about this amp, the OD tone I will get through and effect pedal will be ok?

About the all tube thing, I prefer having an all tube amp, but won't mind to take an hybrid if it sounds good and cover my needs better than others all tube amp.

@Blackfire The ENGL is scaling positions to the top 1 every minute. But maybe have a lack of Blues-like sounds? The other problem is that I should buy it used (new is too expensive), and I'm scared of not having the skill to tell if the amp is in good condition (when I'll try it before buying).
Last edited by javi9375 at Dec 18, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
hey i just read the title

i still think it's worth pointing out. he can get tubes in his price range and he wants tubes, ideally.

of course...everybody wants tubes........
^ absolutely

Quote by Ippon
I haven't seen the schematics (not that it'll matter) of the Hughes & Kettner but I liked the Tubemeister 36 and it should be able to hit some of javi9375's requirements. Besides, it's so light and sexy.

i haven't tried them- i think the 36 might have an extra preamp tube? it might be all-tube (or at least more tube), so

Quote by javi9375

@Dave_Mc I know that about the Hot Rod, but it covers much of my needs (specially the cleans which are difficult to find and I play a lot), and I guess I can add some effect to get a heavier tone. But this is one of the doubts I have about this amp, the OD tone I will get through and effect pedal will be ok?

About the all tube thing, I prefer having an all tube amp, but won't mind to take an hybrid if it sounds good and cover my needs better than others all tube amp.

It really depends. Some people are fine with dirt pedals, other people like amp-based (or mainly amp-based) distortion. If you do play a lot of clean stuff, then the fender is probably worth considering.

and yeah your last sentence is probably a sensible way to look at it. just go in with your eyes open.

EDIT: I haven't tried the thunder, but the screamer is quite nice and quite versatile, with nice cleans IIRC. Might be worth considering if it's not over budget.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by javi9375
Hey, thanks for your answers!
-Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 18: Still need someones opinion.

I have this amp, and have had the Blues Junior. I'd avoid the Blues Junior, I found it to be rather one dimensional. The Tubemeister is a GREAT amp, it's currently my favorite of the three I have. Great cleans, and great dirty side as well. Well worth checking out. See the video on their website.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Hey!

Just to clarify the all-tube thing, as far I've seen there are two types of hybrid amps:

- Official(or total) hybrid amps: preamp with tubes, amplification with SS (Vox VR). I guess this kind of amp will have 0 tubes in the amp section.

- "All-tubes amps" that get help from some SS pieces, but have tubes in the amp section (Blackstar HT20). I've read that an "all tube" amp which have only 1 or 2 tubes (in the amp or preamp section?) might be one of this class. Am I right?

Is this classification right? Or both are the same kind of amp with the difference that some brands tell it and others don't?

About the Tubemeister (18, 36 is too expensive), I've been heavily considering this amp. I haven't tested it yet, but I've seen a few videos and I love the sound and his versatility. I read a few reviews too and haven't find any bad critic yet (if you have one this is the moment to say it ). The only con I found is the price, but i guess I can spend a bit more that I had planned.

In case I decide to buy this amp, you recommend me buying head+screen or combo? I'm considering head (even though is pretty much expensive) because I usually play at friends houses which have sound board (or mixing table don't know the correct way to say it), so if I have to move from my house to theirs in subway, I can bring only the head and let the screen at home. As far I've read the Red Box output (don't really understand what it does), is pretty good to do that, I'm I right?

In case I decide to buy head+screen, can you recommend me some cheaper screens that still sound good? (H&K one is around 300&euro

P.S.:Still considering buying Hot Rod/Engl Thunder 50/Blackstar HT20 used, but I'm afraid i will end up buying some bad condition amp.
Last edited by javi9375 at Dec 20, 2013,
^ Hybrid just means that it has both solid state and tube stuff in it. That makes Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb a hybrid, even though it has both pre and power amp tubes. There are also hybrids that have a solid state pre amp and a tube power amp. The amount of tubes doesn't matter. All tube means it's all tube and it's not solid state.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Krank 1980 Jr or Stiff 90-AD

New Kranks are $399 right now at www.krankamps.com

You would need a cab, so I'd grab the HB G112 vintage with a V30.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
@MaggaraMarine I know both are hybrids. But what I was trying to ask is that although 2 amps can be both hybrid, can be a lot of degrees of hybrid, so probably an hybrid amp with tubes in both preamp and amp, will sound and feel much more all-tube-like than other with only tubes in one of the sections. And the hybrid amps we are talking about here (Blackstar, Tubemeister?), will sound much more tube-like than other cheaper hybrid amps. Notice I'm not saying this is true, just asking.

@Robbgnarly I'll take a look at those amps, thnx!
Quote by javi9375
Hey!

Just to clarify the all-tube thing, as far I've seen there are two types of hybrid amps:

- Official(or total) hybrid amps: preamp with tubes, amplification with SS (Vox VR). I guess this kind of amp will have 0 tubes in the amp section.

- "All-tubes amps" that get help from some SS pieces, but have tubes in the amp section (Blackstar HT20). I've read that an "all tube" amp which have only 1 or 2 tubes (in the amp or preamp section?) might be one of this class. Am I right?

You´ll most likely end up in a head butting contest on this train of thought, but basically thats a good analogy if you can see the shades of grey in the tube-hybrid-SS world. It´s like comparing Point to Point vs. board...some will swear that after PtoP its all gone to the crappers ;-)

My advice is get something you´ll be happy with now and grow with it, make sure it fits your needs and don´t get hung up on brands or tubes or hybrid or SS but trust your ears. You´ll most likely be moving onto something else in a few years anyway when your economy allows for it and you settle in on your "tone" ;-)

...and for gods sake...spend some time and take them for a test drive!!!
Thanks again for your advice Blackst4r!, I'll do what you say, just pick something that I like how it sound (and of course I'll try them before buying). But just wanted to clarify some concepts on the Hybrid-notHybrid discussion.
Quote by javi9375
Thanks again for your advice Blackst4r!, I'll do what you say, just pick something that I like how it sound (and of course I'll try them before buying). But just wanted to clarify some concepts on the Hybrid-notHybrid discussion.

I'm guessing your fretting cause it may seem to be a Big disision but in the Long run it'll be One of ...stepping stones if you will. Spend some time comparing prices, google reviews, have a read if they have a dedicated website cause that is where youll tend to find all the people posting faults, questions and issues they have. Wien you the know what too look for it really helps if youddecide on purchasing used ....which is the best way too save ....but then keep in consideration you might need to be shelling out for a new tubes and a bias adjustment
Last edited by Blackst4r at Dec 20, 2013,
Quote by javi9375
Hey!

Is this classification right? Or both are the same kind of amp with the difference that some brands tell it and others don't?

I don't know if there's any concrete definition (hybrid just means a mix), but you could probably separate them into the "glorified solid state amps" (e.g. marshall valvestate, which is 95% solid state) and "tube with some solid state help" (e.g. blackstar and the like). Then you have your older hybrids like MusicMans etc. which have the entire preamp solid state and the power amp entirely tube (or vice versa).

Quote by javi9375
@MaggaraMarine I know both are hybrids. But what I was trying to ask is that although 2 amps can be both hybrid, can be a lot of degrees of hybrid, so probably an hybrid amp with tubes in both preamp and amp, will sound and feel much more all-tube-like than other with only tubes in one of the sections. And the hybrid amps we are talking about here (Blackstar, Tubemeister?), will sound much more tube-like than other cheaper hybrid amps. Notice I'm not saying this is true, just asking.

Yeah, probably. I don't much like blackstar for how they do marketing, but yeah i'd far rather have a blackstar ht20 than a marshall valvestate, for example (I haven't tried them, but I've tried other "hybrid" amps like the blackstar- hughes and kettner edition tube, peavey valveking (with the SS boost on) etc.).

They're still all hybrids and I don't like how the blackstar apologists claim they're "tube" because they have some tubes in them (using that logic you could just as easily claim they're solid state since they have opamps, diodes and transistors in the signal path ), but some of the hybrids are definitely "more tube" than others.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 20, 2013,
^+1

Hybrid is a mix of the 2 technologies. Hell the Dumble ODS is a Hybrid and they run $30,000+ new and $80,000+ used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi guys, yesterday I tried the Tubemeister 18, and I loved how it sound. I think I'm going to buy it this evening (in about 8-10 hours). I'm going to buy the Tubemeister head with a Kustom 1x12 cabinet (H&K one is too expensive).

So if anyone has any objections or new suggestion, "speak now or forever hold your peace". If not, thank you all for your help!!
Can you order from thomann? If so, get the G212 vintage, you cant beat the price for the speakers you will get.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hey! I will buy it in a local store, same prices as Thomann more or less. Is a big shop, so I will ask if they have the G212. Anyway, I think 1x12 will be more than enough for my needs for the moment, and they will sell me the Kustom Defender 1x12 for 100€ (almost half the price of G212). Do you think really worth buying the G212? Thanks!
Quote by javi9375
Hey! I will buy it in a local store, same prices as Thomann more or less. Is a big shop, so I will ask if they have the G212. Anyway, I think 1x12 will be more than enough for my needs for the moment, and they will sell me the Kustom Defender 1x12 for 100€ (almost half the price of G212). Do you think really worth buying the G212? Thanks!

You can only get the Harley Benton cabs from Thomann, it is their brand. They do make a 1x12 HB with a V30 also if you want a 1x12 and it is only 78.43 GBP.

The Kustom 1x12 is horrid I really would advise not getting that
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok, I'll try find another one, but I prefer buying it in my local store, any other suggestion?
Quote by javi9375
Ok, I'll try find another one, but I prefer buying it in my local store, any other suggestion?

There is nothing wrong supporting your local store

I would try the Tubemeister with every cab they have in your price range and see which you prefer. And if they have used 1x12's try those also, you may find a nice cab you would have normally overlooked.

Happy hunting
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^+1

Hybrid is a mix of the 2 technologies. Hell the Dumble ODS is a Hybrid and they run $30,000+ new and $80,000+ used.
Only on the acoustic channel.

Back on topic; Classic 30 or 50
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A