I am looking to acquire by trade a guitar that is similar to a Gibson with the large mahogany body, TOM bridge and round neck, but in the $400-600 range. Like a high-end Epiphone. What brands should I look for? Already someone has offered me a Hagstrom Swede.

Also how else would I get my hands on a white non-pointy V-type guitar without searching for the limited edition Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V? Do any other brands make them or similar?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
If buying new get agile al3xxx or prs se series. If used, get used gibson sg or les paul studio
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
Quote by shounakghosh7
If buying new get agile al3xxx or prs se series. If used, get used gibson sg or les paul studio

Yes, those are some well-known brands, but I was wanting to hear about lesser-known ones that I may be offered, like the Hagstrom Swede.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Just get a Gibson V used. You can get them for about $500 if you are patient. The used market for them has always been good. The 68's will be around 650-700.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 17, 2013,
Reverend makes a nice korina V. Volcano i think is the model? that's the only korina V i know of in that sorta price point aside the Epi that you can get in the states. most of the epi's are just veneered mahogany.

bacchus and tokai made them as well in both japan and korea, but they aren't common here in the US. i've only tried the bacchus and it's absolutely amazing.

good luck. check out the reverend.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Reverend makes a nice korina V. Volcano i think is the model? that's the only korina V i know of in that sorta price point aside the Epi that you can get in the states. most of the epi's are just veneered mahogany.

bacchus and tokai made them as well in both japan and korea, but they aren't common here in the US. i've only tried the bacchus and it's absolutely amazing.

good luck. check out the reverend.

Second the Tokai for the V. Good stuff. You can find some on eBay from time to time. Edwards is another you can try. Made in the ESP factory in Japan. Not for the US market, but again, eBay.
There's a ton of other V styles on there too, sub $200 guitars. Quality will be very mixed on them. Though an old Harmony V or if you can find a Samick, they may be pretty good.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
How about what is a company that makes a flying V that is readily available in the US in white and isn't a struggle to find for under $600? Or are all white Vs that rare?

If so, other companies that make Les Paul-type guitars that come in interesting finishes? What's the neck like on the LTD EC-series? If any thinner than a Jackson, move on.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Dec 18, 2013,
Used Gibson V
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jjfeu662
How about what is a company that makes a flying V that is readily available in the US in white and isn't a struggle to find for under $600? Or are all white Vs that rare?

DBZ Cavallo ST 3 in Pearl White, just over $600:

http://www.amazon.com/DBZ-Diamond-Guitars-CAVST3-PWH-Electric/dp/B00BECF9EA
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 18, 2013,
Also, seconding the suggestions of checking out Hagstroms and Reverends, though you might have to go used. The (discontinued) Reverend Roundhouse is quite a nice LP style guitar.

Other LPs to consider are offered by Agile, Malden, Electra and Dean Zelinsky Private Label.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by jjfeu662
Yes, those are some well-known brands, but I was wanting to hear about lesser-known ones that I may be offered, like the Hagstrom Swede.

Okay, okay!

Actually, if I were getting any of them it would be the Hagstrom Super Swede. 25.5" scale.

Now, about those Agiles...
...DBZ, Fernandes, Godin...

Just checking: the maple top on the Epi LP Plus Top is just a veneer and doesn't affect the tone, right? And the quilt top on certain Mockingbirds is the real thing, or is that just a veneer? I'm getting confused in my research on whether or not I want to pursue a guitar with a maple top. I like the look of it, but I'm getting conflicted feelings about whether or not I should look down on a guitar because the maple top is just a veneer.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
Just checking: the maple top on the Epi LP Plus Top is just a veneer and doesn't affect the tone, right? And the quilt top on certain Mockingbirds is the real thing, or is that just a veneer? I'm getting confused in my research on whether or not I want to pursue a guitar with a maple top. I like the look of it, but I'm getting conflicted feelings about whether or not I should look down on a guitar because the maple top is just a veneer.

The quilt top on the mockingbird is probably a veneer as well.

Although I wouldn't say that a veneer is undesirable. A maple veneer is legitimately made out of maple, and a maple top that is too thick can cause the guitar to be too bright. It's just that the word 'veneer' has an unfair stigma attached to it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 20, 2013,