Page 1 of 8
What is with the tumblr PC brigade right now on the internet?

"Rape jokes are not funny"

"omg this triggered me please stop"

It is getting me down a bit.

I agree rape itself isn't funny but rape jokes can be, just like everyone knows the holocaust wasn't funny, but holocaust jokes can be.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
>tumblr

that's why. most self-righteous twats in the entire world.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by EndTheRapture51

I agree rape itself isn't funny but rape jokes can be, just like everyone knows the holocaust wasn't funny, but holocaust jokes can be.

The difference is that the Holocaust was over 50 years ago. Rape happens every day.
What's a 'trigger warning'?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by genghisgandhi
I laugh whenever I see 'trigger warning' used in a serious way.

On some music forum I posted some video "Top 5 reason Arsenal suck" with the topic "TRIGGER WARNING - THIS IS A RAPE OF MY BELOVED FOOTBALL TEAM" and it got removed because "trigger warnings are an actual thing and rape jokes are NEVER okay".

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Todd Hart
What's a 'trigger warning'?

Like a spoiler warning but for rape survivors.

Quote by archangels
The difference is that the Holocaust was over 50 years ago. Rape happens every day.
What if hes joking about rape that happened 50 years ago, or 50 thousand years ago ?
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Sounds silly.

One day people will realise that censoring discussion of things you don't like can only have negative effects.
For those asking, a trigger warning is a warning that a text post, video, etc. contains material that could trigger memories or flashbacks for survivors of a traumatic event (rape, self-harm, eating disorders, etc.).
Quote by ChucklesMginty
there are still living holocaust survivors though.

And I bet you wouldn't make a Holocaust joke in front of one of them.

Edit: My point is that it's okay to joke about whatever the hell you want when you're in the company of friends who know you're just joking. In public, in mixed company, and on the internet are not good places to make lewd jokes about that kind of thing.

I think it's more an issue of people not realizing when it is and isn't appropriate to make a joke. But that would mean that a lot of people think rape jokes are always appropriate. Why would they think that? Maybe because they don't know any rape victims, maybe because they do know some and just don't realize it because rape victims don't (usually) walk around announcing the fact. Maybe it really is because our culture is too tolerant of rape. I don't know.
Last edited by archangels at Dec 17, 2013,
Well I'd describe my sense of humour as being a tad depraved at times, but rape jokes still aren't that funny anymore.

I'm over holocaust jokes too.
i don't know what a trigger warning is. is it like something that triggers a flashback in rape victims?
Quote by So-Cal
i don't know what a trigger warning is. is it like something that triggers a flashback in rape victims?

As far as I know, Tumblr is the only place trigger warnings exist, doesn't flash up in TV shows or films you are watching.

Rape is almost impossible to me funny, first of all. It's such a gross way of joking around. Ugh. Apart from that you never know who might have been raped around you. Like if you were just joking around with your friends and being carefree and all that would you want to suddenly relive that time(s) you were raped?

Just don't unless you can have some class about it which is nearly impossible.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by archangels
And I bet you wouldn't make a Holocaust joke in front of one of them.

I'm not a hundred percent certain I would directly compare rape and the Holocaust in front of a Holocaust survivor.

inb4 I get accused of trivialising rape.
Getting offended by jokes or thinking people should be censored in their joke-making is for children. You can't always be happy with everything you see around you at all times.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Like a spoiler warning but for rape survivors.

Oh lawd
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm not a hundred percent certain I would directly compare rape and the Holocaust in front of a Holocaust survivor.

inb4 I get accused of trivialising rape.

What about Holocaust survivors who were sexually abused? To them, the two aren't so mutually exclusive. A joke about either might elicit the same response.

brb, googling the topic of sexual assault in extermination camps.
All I wonder when I hear about these people is are they incapable of watching any kind of television program or movie? Like, when you take offense to everything how can you even watch anything that has mature content in either a comedic or dramatic setting?

You can't just live in a bubble.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by archangels
What about Holocaust survivors who were sexually abused? To them, the two aren't so mutually exclusive.

brb, googling the topic of sexual assault in extermination camps.

Again, perhaps it's me being sentimental but I feel that there's a difference to be drawn between systematic assault, rape and murder and the implosion of an entire society, and individual rape.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Dec 17, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils

You can live in a basement though, which, based on Tumblr, is a lot like a bubble, but with cheetos and an internet connection.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
People got raped during the holocaust. Nobody got holocausted during rape, except for when those rapes that happened during the holocaust.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Rape is almost impossible to me funny, first of all. It's such a gross way of joking around. Ugh. Apart from that you never know who might have been raped around you. Like if you were just joking around with your friends and being carefree and all that would you want to suddenly relive that time(s) you were raped?

Just don't unless you can have some class about it which is nearly impossible.

[trigger]I ****ed your mom[/trigger]
[trigger]hello son[/trigger]
amidoinitrite?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
i want to put forward that humour has been shown to help people with things like ptsd and people with disabilities often will joke about then as a coping mechanism

i will say that i don't find rape jokes funny and actually find them quite distasteful as a disclaimer though
Quote by WCPhils
All I wonder when I hear about these people is are they incapable of watching any kind of television program or movie? Like, when you take offense to everything how can you even watch anything that has mature content in either a comedic setting or dramatic?

To me, that's waaayyyy different. Dramatic events on television/movies/whatever are used for exactly that. They're trying to elicit the same emotional response from people who have never gone through a specific kind of emotional/physical/psychological difficulty. Yeah, it could be a trigger for someone who has actually experienced it, but at least they're (usually) trying to show it in a realistic light. Making a joke just comes off as "lul, rape/murder/horrible things are hilarious."

Edit to remove double post:
Quote by Todd Hart
Again, perhaps it's me being sentimental but I feel that there's a difference to be drawn between systematic assault, rape and murder and the implosion of an entire society, and individual rape.

No, I completely agree. I would definitely say the Holocaust is worse than one single case of rape. Definitely. But we're not playing Oppression Olympics here. Just because what you went through wasn't as awful as having your entire family murdered then being thrown into a camp doesn't mean that you didn't suffer at all.
Well saying "oh arsenal got raped by city last night" still doesn't really qualify as a rape joke.

what's not hilarious about 6 million jews?
Last edited by brothertupelo at Dec 18, 2013,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
On some music forum I posted some video "Top 5 reason Arsenal suck" with the topic "TRIGGER WARNING - THIS IS A RAPE OF MY BELOVED FOOTBALL TEAM" and it got removed because "trigger warnings are an actual thing and rape jokes are NEVER okay".

So you got upset and made this thread?
Quote by archangels
No, I completely agree. I would definitely say the Holocaust is worse than one single case of rape. Definitely. But we're not playing Oppression Olympics here. Just because what you went through wasn't as awful as having your entire family murdered then being thrown into a camp doesn't mean that you didn't suffer at all.

Indeed, my point is simply that it's a bizarre comparison.
A lot of white knights are on UG too.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by archangels
To me, that's waaayyyy different. Dramatic events on television/movies/whatever are used for exactly that. They're trying to elicit the same emotional response from people who have never gone through a specific kind of emotional/physical/psychological difficulty. Yeah, it could be a trigger for someone who has actually experienced it, but at least they're (usually) trying to show it in a realistic light. Making a joke just comes off as "lul, rape/murder/horrible things are hilarious."

That's dumb. Of course those things can be used in a funny way. And not just in dark comedy. Plenty of shows or movies have people die/get murdered in comical ways. I've laughed very hard at all the recurring rape jokes on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. People don't need to find everything funny, and are allowed to get offended about whatever they want, but telling others what they should and shouldn't like is completely moronic.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 17, 2013,
There's a difference between "getting offended" and reliving something torturous and degrading. It's an issue of being sensitive to those who are still suffering.

But if their suffering inconveniences you then I'm sure they're really sorry.
trigger warnings are properly used proceeding discussions of rape in which vivid details could reasonably "trigger" a flashback in a victim passing by who just isn't quite ready to read that kind of discussion. they're most often used in communities of rape victims seeking understanding from others and learning to cope at their own pace. if you have a problem with this, you're an ass.

sure, there are no trigger warnings for movies, but you can be sure that many victims will range from uncomfortable to total panic during rape scenes for quite some time after the incident. usually victims take precautions to avoid movies that may personally disturb them. as an emetophobic, i similarly survey people about movies before i watch them to learn when, if at all, anyone vomits. on forums dedicated to emetophobia, trigger warnings are sometimes used for detailed descriptions of symptoms and vomiting itself. in the past they've been helpful to me as i couldn't handle even the slightest detail regarding vomit.

as far as rape jokes go, they're not funny. you have to be so young, stupid, and immature to find them funny that i wouldn't even date you. and no, prison rape isn't funny either.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by captainsnazz
> patriarchy

>go back to /b/, faggot.

Quote by Samdroid
There's a difference between "getting offended" and reliving something torturous and degrading. It's an issue of being sensitive to those who are still suffering.

This is an important distinction that people seem to forget.
Quote by Samdroid

I'm all for being sensitive in a public setting where I don't know everyone's history. I'm more talking about jokes in general that you find in various media
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 17, 2013,