Page 1 of 2
I played the Blackstar HT-5R at Guitar Center and love it. Perfect sound for my needs. Before I buy it though is there anything out there comparable to it at $500.00 that I can pick up on Amazon?

Thanks for the replies.
A Peavey 6505+ 112 would be a much better deal.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
In a certain way, a $100 toothbrush is comparable to a $500 ht5
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Jet City JCA22
Krank Rev Jr, Kstein Jr or 1980 Jr $399 new at www.krankamps.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by lucky1978

This is the HT-5R totally different than the HT-5. It just came out recently.
Quote by antics32

It is still an HT which are not worth the money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by antics32
Wanna buy a bridge? Or a cheap Rolex?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Now, I've tried the Peavey 6505+ combo but to be honest I'm saving up for the actual Head but that is an awesome suggestion--I want a diversity of sound. The Jet City was a combo head and I would have to buy a cabinet. The only thing I could think of was the Marshall DSL 5 but I don't like the fact it does not have a standby or Reverb. I'm not a fan of the Vyper series. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Same with the Vox Mini G3, when I get it in the mail I will post a sound demo. In fact this time, I will youtube it--maybe, I only have a digital Camera that records so I might have to go by way of Soundcloud.

To me this little amp sounds better than even the Slash SL-5. I will also take pictures because the craftsmanship is awesome. It comes with a foot switch as well.

While I'm not a fan of the Studio HT series, this little 5 watter is in a category of its own. If you don't believe me try it and if you can't I'll demo it.
Jet City JCA 2212 is the 1x12 combo of the head

I've played the HT-5,HT20,HT40 and I thought they all were mediocre amps. And for the price You can get much better amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by antics32
Define "totally".
OP, in your last post you went through a ton of alternatives and others have posted a few other things to consider here. After what seems like pretty good thought (as much as anyone could tell in this medium) you seem to be a huge fan of that amp. If you loved it that much when you played it and nothing else sticks out as a viable second option, just go get it
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by Robbgnarly
Jet City JCA 2212 is the 1x12 combo of the head

I've played the HT-5,HT20,HT40 and I thought they all were mediocre amps. And for the price You can get much better amps

No, I agree. I'm definitely not a fan of the HT20 or HT40 still not and never will be to be quite honest...unless they improve it. I probably would not be a fan of the HT-5 either if it is anything like those.
Quote by fly135
Define "totally".

It has reverb........................... completely different circuit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by fly135
Define "totally".

I'll do a youtube video when it comes in to demo it. It's not a metal amp but the distortion is so clean I can play metal with it. Again, I'm new to metal. For a metal person it may not be distorted enough but for my ears the distortion is clean. When it comes in the mail I'll demo it. If it sucks, which I doubt having already spent a couple hours with it at Guitar Center, I'll be honest on the demo and return it.
Quote by antics32
No, I agree. I'm definitely not a fan of the HT20 or HT40 still not and never will be to be quite honest...unless they improve it. I probably would not be a fan of the HT-5 either if it is anything like those.

The HT5 is just like those.
But in your other post you say you loved the HT5, so which is it?

It is your money, but I would not get any Blackstar HT series, I'd grab a Jet Citycombo or a Used Krank Jr series amp and a cab (<$500)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
This can be yours cheap. Payment can be deposited into my account in the Cayman islands.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
The HT5 is just like those.
But in your other post you say you loved the HT5, so which is it?

It is your money, but I would not get any Blackstar HT series, I'd grab a Jet Citycombo or a Used Krank Jr series amp and a cab (<$500)

OK, so I went to their site and I was going to post a link but I promise I will demo it and you can judge an honest response with your ears by a guy not trying to sell you on anything. If it sucks I'll say so in the demo and return it. No hassle to me.

I think you are referring to the HT-5C, which is no longer available on places like Musicians Friends. I am referring to the HT-5R which has just recently become available in the states. I never played the HT-5C but if it sounds like the studio I would never like it.

I don't know how long it will take to get in but I'm true to my word and always man up. I did it with the Vox MiniG3 in a previous post and I'll do it again.
there is no use when it comes to arguing for Blackstar round here...they might as well be made, designed and hand built by Tom Hess. Unfortunatelly it seems that everyone is really quick to jump on the "hating band wagon" without testing or searching for reliable facts and not really offering you any assistens.....so I´ll try giving you some advice....unfortunately I can´t help you when it comes to value and customer service in your country.

My lead guitarist uses one for home use and that little bugger sure packs a punch, and sounds quite nice. I myself would of gotten one of the little 5w bugera´s cause they suite my tone better but they are still not as versatile as the 5r´s and the emulated output on them really do come in handy when home recording

1.As someone will state sooner or later the BS use SS Tech in their smaller models of the HT series...well to be honest they use it in all but the 100 venues. But unlike the VOX Vt´s they´re not made to be SS amps that have a tube at the end of the chain...these basically use SS in the end assisting with or as the phase inverter which makes it possible to play them at lower volumes whilst still sounding great. It seems that this has rubbed the "all-tube" people the wrong way...which really doesn´t bother me but in your position you need to think about what you might be getting for it when selling it used....can you afford too loose that much

2. The 5r´s have had some issues on the board....one of these small r38/39 resistors seems to be an issue and blackstar much like an ostrich has hidden its head in the sand when it comes to build quality and lets the buyer play the tonal version of russian roulette when purchasing one of these amps. Their customer service is helpfull, answers email´s and is quick to exchange faulty amps the problem really is who Wholesales (sells/returns/services) blackstars products in your country...that´s worth having a look into

3. The tube´s in it will last you about a year if your lucky, even if your set on the original tone look at upgrading early because much like the r38/39´s the tubes used in lowend blackstars are known to be a little "iffy"
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
here is an example (prices only) tone may very

would rather have a Blackstar HT 50 for $750 or, or a used Mesa Tremoverb for $760 thats what i got a month ago (which you couldn't even see a smudge puled out of an ATA live in case).

there is no competition. every time blackstar sets up a price they will lose in most every aspect for something used and different. and likely better.

i have played blackstars and you can do much better for your money.

if they were significantly cheaper and would have advertised as hybrid,
1. i would have more respect for them, and
2. if they were 20-30% cheaper they could be a good beater.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Blackst4r
there is no use when it comes to arguing for Blackstar round here...they might as well be made, designed and hand built by Tom Hess. Unfortunatelly it seems that everyone is really quick to jump on the "hating band wagon" without testing or searching for reliable facts and not really offering you any assistens.....so I´ll try giving you some advice....unfortunately I can´t help you when it comes to value and customer service in your country.

My lead guitarist uses one for home use and that little bugger sure packs a punch, and sounds quite nice. I myself would of gotten one of the little 5w bugera´s cause they suite my tone better but they are still not as versatile as the 5r´s and the emulated output on them really do come in handy when home recording

1.As someone will state sooner or later the BS use SS Tech in their smaller models of the HT series...well to be honest they use it in all but the 100 venues. But unlike the VOX Vt´s they´re not made to be SS amps that have a tube at the end of the chain...these basically use SS in the end assisting with or as the phase inverter which makes it possible to play them at lower volumes whilst still sounding great. It seems that this has rubbed the "all-tube" people the wrong way...which really doesn´t bother me but in your position you need to think about what you might be getting for it when selling it used....can you afford too loose that much

I can't dislike them because I find them lacking in certain areas?
The cleans are decent, but the gain is not that good at all.

Yes lying about the "all tube" thing has not helped at all.

SS clipping diodes in the signal path to get the gain levels that 2 12ax7's can not get alone. Adding one extra 12at7 for a PI does not make it all tube, just more tube than the other HT's

TS The HT line is all the same clean and drive circuits weather it is the HT-s, HT5r, HT5c. they are just packaged differently and may or may not have reverb

Blackstar are the Obama's of the amp world, they tell you one thing to get you on board, but it is all lies and they will not admit it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Blackst4r
your post

You may have some points about the Blackstar bashing but here is my take on all of it.

I've played the HT-5. Mediocre is a good way to phrase it. They don't completely suck but they are not astonishing either.

Blackstar dug their own hole with the 'All Tube' marketing so in my book, they get what they get as far as the backlash. See photo below.

Here is where things go South.

The OP didn't follow our basic guideline for asking for amp advise. If you want good advice, then follow the format. He did however ask for other recommendations. To me, that leaves this wide open.

Other options were provided but it seems that the OP is stuck on his decision already.

Whenever we have threads like this where someone has basically already made up their mind and is only really looking for concurrence, then failure is all that can be had.

The TS said the HT-5 is better than the Marshall SL-5 which I totally disagree with.

The TS said he was very impressed with the craftsmanship of the HT-5 which I am not.

The TS said he didn't care for the HT-20 and the HT-40 and if those were made better he might change his mind. This makes little sense to me.

The TS offered to do demos once he get his amp which to be honest, doesn't really prove anything. I've seen good demos of the MG.

Gut shot:

So therefore:

GGnA - I apologize if I didn't feel like typing all of that out last night. I was too tired. This thread needed to be cat'd.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 18, 2013,
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Look, I don't know all the online conventions or what a catted means nor it is important. To be honest I don't have much of an online life. I wouldn't even know where to get those images nor would I want to, to be honest.

This thread is productive to me now with the response from Blackst4r. I don't know too much of Blackstar's history and reputation in the states and I did not know it was a hybrid. I am concerned about QC. In buying it I pretty much expect to switch the tube amps...now.

Does it bother me too much that it is a hybrid. I don't know how I feel about that yet. The QC issue does bother me though. And I do expect to change the tubes pretty quick. So, now I feel fully informed of what I am getting into because I did buy it. Now that I think about it for the QC issue I'll put a two year warranty on top of it just to be on the safe side, which I can through Amazon.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to convince you to buy it but trying to determine whether I should buy it. The only other option I see is the DSL 5 series but to me that's an even bigger risk with QC, no standby and on top of that no reverb.

Thanks for all the responses.
I own a Peavey Vypyr 60 (which is a hybrid) and Blackheart BH1. Those are two amps I can recommend (although look at the 15w Blackheart BH15).

I now see you have a Fender Blues Deluxe. What's the deal with that amp (ie, why are you looking for a new amp?)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 18, 2013,
The HT5 is obvious but are there clipping diodes in higher Blackstar HT's, has ANYONE confirmed that? Blackstar themselves insist that there is no SS clipping, but it has something akin to a clean boost built in. Which, if thats true, is OK in my book. Actually I find the idea awesome.

For example the clipping diode gain boost in Valveking is crap there is no question, but when hit with a clean boost it becomes awesome amp with high gain. With only 2 preamp tubes + phase inverter I might add.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by antics32
I'll do a youtube video when it comes in to demo it. It's not a metal amp but the distortion is so clean I can play metal with it.
I had an HT-5. I thought the distortion tone was fine. It's a nice enough amp if you specifically like that distortion tone. I found that it easily got compressed and sometimes pushing it with an OD didn't have much effect.

However, there is a multitude of just as good and even better tones you can get from distortion pedals. With that in mine I found the cheaper Epiphone Valve Jr a better 5 watt amp than the HT5. It had more clean headroom and IMO was a better amp for pedals. So unless you are married to the crunch channel, I don't think the HT-5 is a great deal. Although I imagine that eBay or CL is the only place you'll find a Vjr these days.

For that money I would probably try and find a nice 15watt amp.
Quote by MaaZeus
The HT5 is obvious but are there clipping diodes in higher Blackstar HT's, has ANYONE confirmed that? Blackstar themselves insist that there is no SS clipping, but it has something akin to a clean boost built in. Which, if thats true, is OK in my book. Actually I find the idea awesome.

For example the clipping diode gain boost in Valveking is crap there is no question, but when hit with a clean boost it becomes awesome amp with high gain. With only 2 preamp tubes + phase inverter I might add.

I have gut shots of some of the other higher end Blackstars but I have no idea what to look for. AcousticMirror, I believe, sent me some and he said they did indeed have diode trickery. Again, don't quote me on that.

Now, if someone likes the tone of an amp that has diode trickery and they want to buy it that is their thing. Rock your socks off. Hell, the Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550/2555 Slash Sig amp has diodes in it and I think it sounds fantastic. If an amp uses clean boosting I don't personally think it is a big deal. For all I know Splawn uses a clean booster for their 'Solo' boost

What I, and many others, have a problem with is the 'All Tube' marketing. To me, it gives people a false sense of purchasing as many many folks consider 'all tube' to be a better tone. They are the same group of guys that designed the JCM 900 and then left Marshall to go do the same thing at Blackstar. Shameful.

Yes, the Boost on the VK was pretty hideous. I owned one. Hit it with a clean boost, like a Bad Monkey, and that thing could sing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I have gut shots of some of the other higher end Blackstars but I have no idea what to look for. AcousticMirror, I believe, sent me some and he said they did indeed have diode trickery. Again, don't quote me on that.

Now, if someone likes the tone of an amp that has diode trickery and they want to buy it that is their thing. Rock your socks off. Hell, the Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550/2555 Slash Sig amp has diodes in it and I think it sounds fantastic. If an amp uses clean boosting I don't personally think it is a big deal. For all I know Splawn uses a clean booster for their 'Solo' boost

What I, and many others, have a problem with is the 'All Tube' marketing. To me, it gives people a false sense of purchasing as many many folks consider 'all tube' to be a better tone. They are the same group of guys that designed the JCM 900 and then left Marshall to go do the same thing at Blackstar. Shameful.

Oh I know why people hit BS here. I am considering putting "people here hate Blackstar due to their dubious marketing of HT serie" behind macro key and automatically post it whenever Blackstar threads pop up.

To many this whole debate is old news already but personally I find this whole Blackstar HT thing quite interesting, having googled about the subject high and low and reading opinions from both sides. Blackstar could have a recipe for "perfect" hybrid amps, if only they would come clean about it so we could throw all this dirty laundry away and concentrate whats important: the sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I own a Peavey Vypyr 60 (which is a hybrid) and Blackheart BH1. Those are two amps I can recommend (although look at the 15w Blackheart BH15).

I now see you have a Fender Blues Deluxe. What's the deal with that amp (ie, why are you looking for a new amp?)

No, it's the perfect amp for Blues and has a nice clean tone but definitely not good for the harder stuff. When I first got it, the gain would get muddy at higher volumes with too much drive. I was and still am thinking of supplementing it with a pedal but it does not take the Boss DS-1 too well so I suspect it won't take harder pedals as well.

So, for the harder stuff the Blackstar can do it. Also, it's portable. There's a Blues Group I want to eventually meetup with in my area and I can't lug around the Blues Deluxe.

Also, I believe I have to switch out the tubes, which is why I started the other thread. I believe. Today, I'm going to Guitar Center to try out the Bugera at the advisement of Blackst4r, 6505+ combo and if they have the Peavey Vyper 60 try it as well. At the same time I'm going to discuss the amp with the tech.
I actually like the Bugera V22 as much as despise Bugera otherwise

In order to get the most out of the Vypyr 60 you have know how to operate it. I suggest to people to read up on the user manual before hand as to not get frustrated. Though honestly, I find it very intuitive. Pick a model and set the effects to Bypass. Then if you push on the 'model' button it will switch from Green (clean) to Red (dirty). They Vypyr is not the best for mid gain classic rock type tones but metal (Diezel) and cleans (Twin) are quite nice imo.

The 6505+112 combo is quite nice too. You can get some nice cleans out of it honestly if you try and it is more forgiving than its bigger brothers.

See if they have any Blackhearts as well and an Epi Valve Jr/Sr (prolly used) and a Marshall Class 5.

If you still feel the HT-5 is the best after that then buy it.

Also - I personally would not let GC be your amp tech. You can get your own tubes and swap them out pretty easily.

www.dougstubes.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.eurotubes.com
www.thevalvequeen.com
www.thetubestore.com
Quote by MaaZeus

...all but the HT-100 it would seem...it´s the only one that uses a third pre for a phase inverter (au7)

...and yes blackstar see it as a boost or using technology to enhance an all tube amp (not an argument on my part so don´t bother responding)...

Quote by trashedlostfdup
here is an example (prices only) tone may very

would rather have a Blackstar HT 50 for $750 or, or a used Mesa Tremoverb for $760 thats what i got a month ago (which you couldn't even see a smudge puled out of an ATA live in case).

as stated...pricewise I can´t be of assistance because where I am they´re a pricewise alternative. I don´t either argue for there other models....I´ve tried the 40 and 60 and hated them....the 5 was really nice and my 100 does perfekt for my needs...the 100 wasn´t the best "one sounder" but it was the perfect blend of versatility

Quote by Robbgnarly
I can't dislike them because I find them lacking in certain areas?
The cleans are decent, but the gain is not that good at all.

I can see no where this was stated.......every one is entiteled to an opinion...just stating that it would be better if it was unbias and factual...which yours clearly are...then it´s up to the TS to choose which he finds sounds better...not just cause rob Thinks this sounds better than that!?!

and to the TS...we do alot of classic rock, when the clean channel is cranked and the master is set to non earblowing volume it does well....the little thing can sure get loud Much like it´s big brothers the dist cannel is OK but thats up to you....I´m not a metal man myself...and honestly sound and tone is up to the owner....I personally would never buy an amp without testing it with my setup...what sounds good with a fender might sound crap with a Gibson and so on. Getting a prolonged warranty is a good idea seeing they have had issues with the transistors in the past.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Last edited by Blackst4r at Dec 18, 2013,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The OP didn't follow our basic guideline for asking for amp advise. If you want good advice, then follow the format. He did however ask for other recommendations. To me, that leaves this wide open.

Other options were provided but it seems that the OP is stuck on his decision already.

true...and in all honesty I don´t really see where I recomended it...I warned him about the "all tube" war, customer service, bad tubes and issues with the board. I also said I liked the tone on the Bugera better?

I did however state my opinion on it sounding nice..which he seems to think already.
OK, went to Guitar Center tried the Bugera 5w and 22w. I like the Bugera 22w and I can see how it is perfect for classic rock and blues. I never noticed the price before but the 6505+ combo is a hundred dollars more expensive and does not sound as good as the head but still a good amp. So, I slapped on a warranty to the Blackstar and I'm awaiting it in the mail.

Now, I don't want to wade into the politics of Blackstar but, but, but something just occurred to me when I was testing it against other amps at Guitar Center. Could the HT in the HT series stand for Hybrid Tube? Just a thought. I'll demo it when it comes in next Tuesday.

Thanks for all your advice and patience.
Quote by antics32
OK, went to Guitar Center tried the Bugera 5w and 22w. I like the Bugera 22w and I can see how it is perfect for classic rock and blues. I never noticed the price before but the 6505+ combo is a hundred dollars more expensive and does not sound as good as the head but still a good amp. So, I slapped on a warranty to the Blackstar and I'm awaiting it in the mail.

Now, I don't want to wade into the politics of Blackstar but, but, but something just occurred to me when I was testing it against other amps at Guitar Center. Could the HT in the HT series stand for Hybrid Tube? Just a thought. I'll demo it when it comes in next Tuesday.

Thanks for all your advice and patience.

hope all goes well with shipping and do have fun when it arrives ;-). here´s the blackstar website and forum, not much action like here but they will be Quick to reply if you have issues

http://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/
Just because the BS HT 100 has a 3rd tube does not mean it is not hybrid. The JCM900 DR has 2 preamp 12ax7's and a 12ax7 for the PI. It still has lots of clipping diodes and op amps in the signal path, IE: hybrid.

and yeah I stand behind all of my statements about Blackstar, and if I lived neer their factory I'd stop by and tell them what a bunch of lying tools they are. and I bet not one would get out of a seat, because they know they are full of shite.

The other Blackstar lines are fine, but look at the prices, not exactly cheap.

And jet City will mop the floor with BS as far as amps are concerned, they are Mike Soldano's designs and he single handedly invented modern day high gain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Blackstars are not bad amps in and of themselves, and at the end of the day they could be 100% solid state and if you like the sound, you like the sound.

HOWEVER

For the money, there are many other options that are 100% tube, and will (debateably) sound better. And if a company is going to advertise an amp as all-tube, it better be all tube. Period.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification