Hi,
I was looking a Mesa Mark IIc, not the plus version and it has no eq. Here I was going to see if he could put it abit cheaper than that or is it a good deal for $850? I rang around and asked about modding it to a C+ and the cheapest i could find here in Australia was about $300-400 but then to put a eq on it would be a separate $600. Would it be cheaper just to buy a MXR 10 band or boss eq and just use that? or do the Mesa equalizers work better?
Thanks
So you live in Australia? What is your budget? What are you really after? a mkIIC+?

Living in the US the prices are kind of all over for MKII's in general and the C+ you can't get for under 1K to say the least.

A MKIII will go for 700-900 depending on options. Not having an EQ leaves out a big portion of the amp you just can't make up with a 10band. There is a larger capacitor right before the graphic EQ that alters the characteristics from a non graphic, in addition to the EQ.

Do some research on the mark III for the stripes as there are 2 versions that are really close to the IIC+ for a much better price.

You can always have a Mark IIC/III modded to a IIC+ but you would be better off with a 10band to start with. There are a few sites that mention which ones are easiest to get the IIC+ sound.

Honestly to me after owning a Mark V the IIC+ mode seemed like a "dated" sound. The Mark IV sounds much more modern.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
For now. I got a 1k budget. I could save up for a few more months, it dosent bother me. I have a Marshall Valvestate 8080 with a metal zone and im using a mxr 10 band eq for my distortion. But that just isnt cutting it for me. I play Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold and a few other of those american bands. Really, im not very fussed to make it the best tone in the world, as i would only be playing at home and with afew friends sometimes. I just always heard so much about the Mesa Mark 2c+ from the internet and my mates and i thought the 2c wouldnt be that bad for me. But im all open to suggestions.
Quote by foolman
For now. I got a 1k budget. I could save up for a few more months, it dosent bother me. I have a Marshall Valvestate 8080 with a metal zone and im using a mxr 10 band eq for my distortion. But that just isnt cutting it for me. I play Metallica, Megadeth, Avenged Sevenfold and a few other of those american bands. Really, im not very fussed to make it the best tone in the world, as i would only be playing at home and with afew friends sometimes. I just always heard so much about the Mesa Mark 2c+ from the internet and my mates and i thought the 2c wouldnt be that bad for me. But im all open to suggestions.

honestly i don't see why you are seeking one. it doesn't really fit a ton of what you are playing.

yes metallica did use a mkiii on ...and justice for all.

i don't think it would be ideal for megadeth but don't know.

would not even approach gain levels like avenged sevenfold.

i would look for something else. for what you are doing.

______

i should say i haven't played a ii, but i have played on some of the iii's that are similar (don't remember stripe colors).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
honestly i don't see why you are seeking one. it doesn't really fit a ton of what you are playing.

yes metallica did use a mkiii on ...and justice for all.

i don't think it would be ideal for megadeth but don't know.

would not even approach gain levels like avenged sevenfold.

i would look for something else. for what you are doing.

______

i should say i haven't played a ii, but i have played on some of the iii's that are similar (don't remember stripe colors).

Do you have any recommendations?
Quote by foolman
Do you have any recommendations?

i am in the US, and i know you guys get screwed for prices down there in Aussie, so some things i may recommend are cheap in the states and may be much more expensive down by you (ex. mesa)

a peavey XXX or JSX are good. both are three channel with a clean, crunch, and high gain channels are great amps if you are looking for something heavier. also the ultra + is supposed a good amp, but i haven't had much time on them.

stay away from bugera (they start on fire and smoke) and they have consistant QC issues.

blackstar HT's are NOT all tube, technically they are hybrids.

a peavey vypyr tube 60 or 120 may be good. good modeling amp good variety great for heavier music (imo in comparsion to other modelers of wich most are all solid state).

go see what you can play and see what is on ebay/gumtree
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Marshall JCM for Megadeth.

The whole Mark Series is lower gain than you would think. My mark V on the extreme mode with the gain on 10 had almost as much gain as a 6505 on 6.

Plus the mark series doesn't have much of a low end.

I really think you should pass on the mark series. If you want a mesa get a dual/tripple rec. More Marshally sound get a JCM 2000 DSL.

6505/5150's are great amps. They aren't the most versatile amps but they make metal easy for sure. Just don't turn the gain on 10.

We'll have to wait for the Aussy guys to wake up and start drinking to post.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT

Haha. Were still awake, its only 6:30pm.
Also i have also been looking for a along time to get a clear sound with my distortion like the main riff on Cyanide. I have not managed to get that sound to hear both strings being played. Is there a way to do that?
Also would the JCMs have good amounts of gain for those bands i mentioned before? Also which JCM are you referring to?
Quote by R45VT
Marshall JCM for Megadeth.

The whole Mark Series is lower gain than you would think. My mark V on the extreme mode with the gain on 10 had almost as much gain as a 6505 on 6.

Plus the mark series doesn't have much of a low end.

I really think you should pass on the mark series. If you want a mesa get a dual/tripple rec. More Marshally sound get a JCM 2000 DSL.

6505/5150's are great amps. They aren't the most versatile amps but they make metal easy for sure. Just don't turn the gain on 10.

mark's really aren't that heavy i use a timmy to boost my second channel (what i use for rythm channel), and a zendrive for the thrid channel makes it smooth glassy beautiful lead.

JCM800's aren't going to be found for $300 -$400 in aussyland

or buy a JCM900 and send it to cath for some tweaking. he will do it well for ya. he will pull the SS shit out and get it right. still likely overbudgeet.

if you could find an JCM900SLX that would be ideal.

if you want mesa tone you are going to get fagucked in the rear with pricing down there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
mark's really aren't that heavy

My Mark IV combo weighs 80 pounds but I don't think that's what you meant

Honestly, the third channel gets plenty heavy for me with gain and drive both on 8, so that's an option.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
mark's really aren't that heavy i use a timmy to boost my second channel (what i use for rythm channel), and a zendrive for the thrid channel makes it smooth glassy beautiful lead.

JCM800's aren't going to be found for $300 -$400 in aussyland

or buy a JCM900 and send it to cath for some tweaking. he will do it well for ya. he will pull the SS shit out and get it right. still likely overbudgeet.

if you could find an JCM900SLX that would be ideal.

if you want mesa tone you are going to get fagucked in the rear with pricing down there.

His budget is 1K.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
His budget is 1K.

My budget for now is 1k but im open to most prices for now as long as theyre not 3k+

How about Hughes and Kettner amps? Are they good?
Last edited by foolman at Dec 18, 2013,
Quote by foolman
My budget for now is 1k but im open to most prices for now as long as theyre not 3k+

How about Hughes and Kettner amps? Are they good?

myself, i misread the OP

the tubemeisters aren't bad. i enjoyed the bit i played one a while back. they are pretty cheap too IIRC.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Dec 18, 2013,
There's a XXX on Gumtree for cheap in Melbourne if you're down that way. No cheap Mesas, though. That kind of thing just doesn't happen in Australia

A Jet City 50/100w might do the trick, too.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by ibanez1997
I'd say go Mark III personally, should be able to snag one in that price range.
A Mark 3 for <$1K? Not likely.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marshall-JCM-900-SL-X-2100-Series-100W-Amplifier-Head-/181281653650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a353a8392

$900 and you'll need a cab.

Better for price:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MARSHALL-JCM800-4104-COMBO-AMP-/131074499927?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item1e84a62557

You'll want an overdrive pedal
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by foolman
Hi,
I was looking a Mesa Mark IIc, not the plus version and it has no eq. Here I was going to see if he could put it abit cheaper than that or is it a good deal for $850? I rang around and asked about modding it to a C+ and the cheapest i could find here in Australia was about $300-400 but then to put a eq on it would be a separate $600. Would it be cheaper just to buy a MXR 10 band or boss eq and just use that? or do the Mesa equalizers work better?
Thanks

We recommend using an EQ in the fx loop instead of modding one into the amp. It works great, and saves a bundle!