a fairly routine question - I was wondering, as you play barre chords higher on your guitar, there's obviously less room to cram your fingers in, especially if it's an A-shape. So I was wondering what you guys' technique is for playing it?
Unless you're going past the 12th fret you should be fine. All you can do his practice it over and over because that's the only way your fingers can get accustomed to it.

But you have to accept that some chords are just not possible, you couldn't do a a D Major barre chord at the 22nd fret for example.

Mama always said nothing was impossible though
Barre chords are rarely ever played high enough to worry about it, and most two or three finger chords are easily manageable the whole way up the neck.
I've got big fingers, so A-shape bars that work for some people have always been a little tricky for me. What I do when I can't get my fingers there is use only my index and ring finger. The index bars all 5 strings, and the ring finger lays across three strings as a sort of 'minibar', barring the three notes that normally would be played with the middle, ring and pinky in an A-shape bar chord. It's weird at first, but it works, and I've seen others do it as well, it helps for fast transitions as you're not putting four fingers into place but two (although if you're fast enough it doesn't really make that much of a difference). It only works for A-shape bar chords though, which is good because I've never had trouble playing the other ones higher because there's only one or two fingers on each fret. As always, practice it in whatever way works for you and you'll be able to do it well before too long.
Quote by Aerynn
I've got big fingers, so A-shape bars that work for some people have always been a little tricky for me. What I do when I can't get my fingers there is use only my index and ring finger. The index bars all 5 strings, and the ring finger lays across three strings as a sort of 'minibar', barring the three notes that normally would be played with the middle, ring and pinky in an A-shape bar chord. It's weird at first, but it works, and I've seen others do it as well, it helps for fast transitions as you're not putting four fingers into place but two (although if you're fast enough it doesn't really make that much of a difference). It only works for A-shape bar chords though, which is good because I've never had trouble playing the other ones higher because there's only one or two fingers on each fret. As always, practice it in whatever way works for you and you'll be able to do it well before too long.

People aren't really taught that either A shape fingering is the default or usual one. You're typically shown both ways and told to do whatever works better for you because they're both a bit weird.