Page 1 of 2
I recently adopted a beautiful one year old grey and white female short hair mix from the local Animal Control and Care. I was made to understand that she would probably hide from me for the first few days but I began to worry when I had not seen her for the first 24 hours. She had eaten/drunken little if anything at this point and has yet to to the present. I eventually found her in a very difficult to reach hiding spot, after repeated attempts I finally managed to coax her from this spot but she still returns. She is frightful, I cannot do anything to make this cat understand that I am not a threat. She is extremely defensive if not aggressive. She becomes territorial and hisses at me when I come near. She allows me to touch her only on her terms and seldom and short lasted at that. She does not allow me to develop a bond with her and shows no interest or curiosity. What am I to do? Is this normal behavior? Please help.
That's kind of what cats do when you first get them/move with them

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
I think it needs more time to get used to your smell. When I brought a new cat home, there was already another one here and I had to keep her in my room the whole time. I had use 2 foodbowls, one outside the door and one inside, so the two cats could smell each other without having a go, so maybe something kinda similar?
Quote by genghisgandhi
oh yeah that's normal as shit. my cat didn't come out for like a week.

did she come from a traumatic background or anything like that?

You see I don't know, apparently she is a stray. When she was abandoned I don't know. But the fact that she doesn't eat or drink worries me. Also that it seems any time I make and progress with her something happens that sets us back two steps. Really disheartening. Any advice? How do I get her to trust me? How do I get her to not hiss at me? I mean I'm walking on egg shells for this cat. If she's on my bed I can't lay on it without her showing me aggression.
Yeah totally normal especially for adopted cats in case they have had bad experiences in the past.

Just keep laying out food/water and stuff, don't force your company on her. Cats like us because we give them food and security. Start out with food and security will follow. She'll come to you when she's comfortable with you.

edit: if you have a spare room or something maybe put all her stuff there like food water litter box cat toys etc and make that her room, so she has a space she's comfortable in where she doesn't have to be around you, and she'll come out when she feels safe with you. Of course this is assuming she likes that room.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Dec 17, 2013,
I dunno what to tell you outside of being careful with your body language. Mine took to me instantly
Yea that's pretty normal. You just have to give them time, the more you force it the worse it'll be. If she's sitting on the bed, don't lie on it. Sit next to it, let her smell your hand but don't try and stroke her. Just let her get comfortable with you being there. Put the food and water near to where she keeps hiding so she knows that it's available.

She'll come out eventually. You just have to be patient and understanding.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
watch that my cat from hell show. the dude looks like a psychopath but he gives pretty solid advice. my cat was chill from the start so i can't give you any anecdotal advice or anything but the shit that goes down on that show is pretty similar to your situation.

Quote by MinterMan22
watch that my cat from hell show. the dude looks like a psychopath but he gives pretty solid advice. my cat was chill from the start so i can't give you any anecdotal advice or anything but the shit that goes down on that show is pretty similar to your situation.

Most of the people on that show are so stupid. Nearly every one can be summed up by:

"My cat keeps destroying my house and I don't know what to do"

Well, have you tried playing with it?

"You can play with cats?"
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I've tried playing with her. She would follow the toy with her eyes but showed no interest in playing. I've done some research and I've read that these behaviors are not uncommon but I don't think that it is healthy behavior either. I think I came into this whole situation with a very different idea of how it would all play out and that may have sullied our experience. I guess all I can do is approach this all differently from now on. I hear it may be good to ignore the cat until she approaches me.
Cat was probably feral. Could take months if every for the trust to develop. Don't make any fast movements towards it. Allow it to come to terms with you at its own pace. It won't starve itself. Move the food around to different areas to accustom it to your entire dwelling. Leave the litter pan in one place though. When you tire of the little bugger in 6 months get a large hungry dog from the shelter. His appreciation of you will be solidified in seconds.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by cho0onger
That's kind of what girlfriends do when you first get them/move with them

yup.

Just another internet thread about trying to get pussy.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Sit and talk to it. Let the cat get comfortable with the idea of a person. Let the cat come to you.

My cat hid under the bed for the first two weeks I had her, but now I can't sit down without her plopping down in my lap.
Yeah cats are just really resistant to change, my cat was born at a friends house and was comfortable with me before i took him home but he would still hide in the basement and i had to keep his food and water in my room for a week or so before he chilled out. Trying to coax him/her out of their hiding place probably doesn't make them feel very comfortable though, just give them some time to get used to the move and start exploring the environment and they'll relax for sure
RIP RICHARD DUNN
Right, I have no idea whether or not this will actually work or not, but hear me out - I'm actually being serious. What if you took a leak on something absorbent and left it close to the food? That way your smell will be associated with something good, in this case food. It's like training dogs to do stuff by associating sounds with treats, but in this case it's... you know, your piss and food.
srsly TS, post some pics of your pussy.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Cats are assholes. If they aren't treated like royalty, they'll ****ing hate you.

Just get a dog. Dogs are everyone's best friend.
¯\_()_/¯
Yeah, if she was a stray it will take a while for her to get accustomed to even being in a home environment.

When I got my cat, he hid inside of a sleeper-sofa to get away from the devil cat that lived at my place at the same time. I eventually coaxed him out and kept him in my room until he was healthy again. Granted, my cat was very nice. . . to humans, he hates other animals, probably because of the devil cat. . . anyway, I'm getting off track. Keep the cat in you personal space and don't try to get near her, let her decide to come to you. Eventually, she'll probably come to accept you. Just keep feeding her, providing shelter, and let her get acquainted, this is all normal, especially with strays.
Try giving it tastier food. The way to a cat's heart is through it's stomach.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
What they all said, just give the the kitty some time to get used to you. I got a kitten this past weekend, I came home (from college) Friday night and he wanted nothing to do with me, but by the time Saturday evening rolled around he slept on my bed with me. All cats are different, some may take more time to get acclimated than others.
Give the cat a way to maneuver around the house above the ground. If you have mantles, entertainment centers, etc., try clearing them so it can walk above the ground.

Cats feel superior/safe when they are at or above your eye level and that could make him feel less threatened.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by CaptainCanti
Cats are assholes. If they aren't treated like royalty, they'll ****ing hate you.

One of my cats was like that as a kitten, took her about a week before she got used to everyone. She hid under the computer table for a whole night. Then she was fine.

Then my other cat loved us and was playful and affectionate as soon as we got him home.

It just depends on the cat.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by K'Nuckles
Right, I have no idea whether or not this will actually work or not, but hear me out - I'm actually being serious. What if you took a leak on something absorbent and left it close to the food? That way your smell will be associated with something good, in this case food. It's like training dogs to do stuff by associating sounds with treats, but in this case it's... you know, your piss and food.

give it a while to see if things change, but sometimes some cats are just lemons and despite all your efforts remain pretty obnoxious. Can you return it? Get another? Maybe consider a dog.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I can always take the cat for you
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by guitarxo
edit: if you have a spare room or something maybe put all her stuff there like food water litter box cat toys etc and make that her room, so she has a space she's comfortable in where she doesn't have to be around you, and she'll come out when she feels safe with you. Of course this is assuming she likes that room.

Not a cat owner but I've heard this helps a lot. I think it doesn't even have to be an entire room, just a part of the house where she can have some peace and privacy.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Make sure the cat has plenty of climbing room in your place. Set areas for her to wander so that she is in a high enough spot to keep at eye level with you. Buy her small cat toys to play with that involve you. Always make sure she sees that you're the one giving her food so she knows your role as care giver.

Trust is very hard to gain from cats, especially under her circumstances. Be sure the maintain steady eye contact with her, and make sure to bat your eyes slowly at her to maintain that trust. If she bats her eyes back at you, she'll have a better understanding on who you are.

How do I know all this shit? I had 11 cats when I was 8 years old.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by girlgerms007
give it a while to see if things change, but sometimes some cats are just lemons and despite all your efforts remain pretty obnoxious. Can you return it? Get another? Maybe consider a dog.

Man, they aren't cars, you can't return them. You have to kill them so they don't feel the pain of being abandoned two times.
Seriously though **** cats
They're the epidimy of an abusive relationship
¯\_()_/¯
Just put food and water near the place she's hiding at.

She's got to get used to where she's now living and who she's living with. Our second cat was terrified of us, he would always run away from us and hide under our bed sheets thinking we couldn't see the little bump on the bed, it was pretty hilarious.

A while back my dad had him tethered with a harness outside, because he was really getting the itch to go out into the world. He saw a rabbit, booked it, and in mid sprint he reached the end of the tether and the metal ring holding it together snapped and he ran off. He came back after 33 days, emaciated. He was eating almost 2 cans of wet food a day for like a month.

Afterwards he grew up a bit, got used to everything, he's recently entered his ''I'm a grown cat now and I'm gonna sleep all day and do grand **** all'' adult phase. He's still ******ed though.
Don't let it near a chinese restaurant man
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.
~Jack Layton 1950-2011
Did you just pick the first cat you saw? It's not hard to tell when you're in a shelter which cats are lunatics. Pick a lunatic cat, get home and you will experience lunatic cat behaviour.

Quote by CaptainCanti

Cats will treat you like shit if you treat them like royalty. I'm guessing you heard that cats should be treated like royalty, you went ahead and treated one like royalty, it didn't like you, so you concluded that they need to be treated like royalty.

Quote by CaptainCanti
Seriously though **** cats
They're the epidimy of an abusive relationship

The epidimy
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Last edited by MHDrunk at Dec 18, 2013,
All you need:

Food (dry and wet)
Water (the bowl should be larger than the food bowl)
Litter box (clean it once a week... please)
A scratching post and small bed/area for it to sleep and reases it angst on and not on your furniture.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Page 1 of 2