Alright, so just some context. I've never had professional music training, and have really only done it singing along to stuff. I'm not confident in my singing much, but I'd like to get better.

Anyway, so I've recording me singing "9 Crimes" by Damien Rice. Probably not a super difficult song, but whatever. I was wondering if you could help me find bits that I need to work on (not necessarily with the song, but with my voice). Some things I've noticed:

I feel like I sing lazy. I don't really know how to describe it, but I feel like some of my 'jumps' from note to note are really...lazy. I also feel like that's reflected in my tone a bit, particularly when I sing more in the lower register. I have a deep talking voice, so I think when I sing in that range, I kind of sing how I talk, so it comes out as flat. I also feel like it's hard to sound sincere when singing.

Anyway, cheers for the help. Don't worry about the guitar, I'm rubbish. And there's one spot where I balls'd up the lyrics a bit, don't worry about that either.

Here's the link:
https://soundcloud.com/jbostler/9-crimes-vocal-test
lazy is exactly how i would describe it, no offense. Make sure you're really pushing from your diaphragm. I do it sometimes when I'm in my lowest register, I'll not have enough support and it does sound just like you're talking. Make sure the back of your throat is really open to and almost over pronunciate the words. You want it to sound really dark
Nah mate I appreciate it, honestly. I know I need to use my diaphragm more, but how exactly do I make sure the back of my throat is open? What do you mean by 'really dark'?

Cheers again
"pushing" with the diaphragm is a critically wrong terminology. It should be a engaged passively. Singing should ALWAYS be relaxed, or you're doing it wrong.

That said, you are lacking air support, which is common in the particular genre of music. Over-pronunciation is non-issue here as the genre of music does not call for it. Generally speaking, that kind of pronunciation is only needed in music that would not be mic'd, and you would not be heard in a live situation with this kind of music un-mic'd.

You have general pitch issues which can be adjusted through proper practice, and your diction is iffy (I feel like I've been stressing this a lot lately). Resonance is non existent in your voice, and "lazy" is a term that I can apply to this. Moreso than that, you don't seem to "connect" with the lyrics. This song is exceptionally emotional, so much so that the first time that I heard this song I had to pull over to the side of the road and stop driving because I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing. You do not emphasize the feeling within the words at all, they are empty. As a vocalist, you have to tell a story, even if you cannot relate to it. If you cannot relate, you have to take on the traits of an actor, in order to convey to the audience that what you sing is truthful. In doing this, you have the ability to captivate an audience. Have you had someone sing to you, and felt like you were the only person in the room, and that they were singing directly to you? This is what you want to strive for. Your voice honestly isn't bad, it is just untrained, uncomfortable, and pitchy. This is workable with

I teach voice lessons, and if you'd ever like a free sample lesson, feel free to shoot me a PM with your skype address and I'd be happy to assist you.
Quote by scguitarking927
lazy is exactly how i would describe it, no offense. Make sure you're really pushing from your diaphragm. I do it sometimes when I'm in my lowest register, I'll not have enough support and it does sound just like you're talking. Make sure the back of your throat is really open to and almost over pronunciate the words. You want it to sound really dark

lazy is a good analogy....you can do "laid back" but still get some "umph" in there. Try standing up and singing, record a backing track and then just go for it...in a dark room, with no one around and just experiment. It sounds like your holding back, and I´ll just take a wild guess that it has to do with your lack of confidence in your own abilities and or mabye even beeing afraid of others hearing.

how to expand your voice, singing technique and proper use of diaghram can all be found on you tube....just google and see what works for you...and honestly, nothings going to break in this singing genre....as long as vocals don´t feel strained and your not trying to fry anything you should be ´right

key wise your not off and your vocals sound nice...you just need to polish away...it´s just like anything else...practice, practise...and practise!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy