Cant seem to play barre chords without hurting my hand. I can go about 5 mins then its unbearable. I got a guitar class coming up and its one of the things ill be focusing on so i really need to get this down. Thanks in advance for the advice.
5 minutes one day, 6 the next, etc. maybe do 5 mins twice a day.

also watch your technique closely, if that is wrong fix it in the beginning. and bad technique can cause pain.

i am assuming you are relatively new to guitar, but there are going to be some odd finger work and weird contortions of your hand.

take time enjoy and have fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What hurts? If it's the fingers, you only need to practice. Everyone's fingers hurt when learning barre chords for the first time. But if it's the wrist, that could mean either wrong technique or... you wouldn't expect that... a problem with your wrist
1. Lift the Neck Higher, a lot higher. Don't be afraid to stick the headstock in your ear.

2. Don't grip so tight. You want even pressure not a death grip.

3. Practice

4. Practice

5 Practice, it took me two years of constant practice to reach the point where barre chords were no big thing.
Im actually not new to guitar ive been playin for 6 years but i kinda just pick stuff up here nd there. Barre chords are new to me but i think its just getting over that deathgrip posture i cant seem to shake it. I never tried raising the neck so ill give that one a go.
Ihave raised the neck and have no problem most of the time with barre chords , I tend to have more of a problem with power chords , especially moving towards the nut , I think my thumb doesn't travel as far down the neck as it should , but even from scratch I have more probs with power chords than barre chords , its really weird.

I get really bad pain around the webbing of my left hand , I think I am twisting it too much and putting too much pressure on my third finger , but if I don't the note just doest sound right ! ie 5th notes mostly
Quote by MrGreen5510
Im actually not new to guitar ive been playin for 6 years but i kinda just pick stuff up here nd there. Barre chords are new to me but i think its just getting over that deathgrip posture i cant seem to shake it. I never tried raising the neck so ill give that one a go.

Here are some practical tips.

1. Fret the barre with your index finger last. Your other fingers should be in position before you apply the barre.

2. Use the side of your index finger and not the flat bottom. The bottom of your index finger, where the pads are, is soft. The side of your index finger is not. This means you will not have to press as hard.

3. Some of the pressure should come from the weight of your arm coming down through your fingers. The thumb should not be doing all the work.

4. Practice chord changes with barre chords using Joe Satriani's method for chord assimilation; fret-play-mute.
FRET: Touch your fingers to the strings, but don't push down yet.

PLAY: Press down on the strings and strum the chord.

MUTE: Release the chord, but your fingers should not come off the strings completely. Just ease the pressure up enough where you are just touching them and not pushing them down, as in the FRET step.

... and then on the next FRET, you change chords as you begin the process again. Use a metronome. You can use one click per step or two clicks, up to you.

That should help.
Last edited by onelightminute at Dec 18, 2013,