Well, as stated above I´m looking for some pointers tips when it comes too growing as a singer. I basically started writing songs of my own about ten years ago and forcing myself to sing them so that I could have a recording of them so I´d remember how they went. But when it came to singing infront of others I´d usually shy away and leave it be, seeing that most of my interest is guitar based and theres usually someone willing to pipe in around the campfire I´d just have to chime in once in a while during the chorus.

About 3 years ago I started a coverband and since we didn´t have a singer I took the role and have been stuck there since then. I have grown to enjoy it and like anything else I do I try to find as much info as possible and strive to get better, you tubes great that way!! I´ve found I have two different vocal ranges/voices depending on which style of music I´m doing...which is rather dependant on how much I can hear myself in my monitors so do have a listen to both my "solo-Project" and live band takes. The band takes are about a year and a half old and shortly after they were recorded we tuned down a half step just to leave a little more head room for the vocals seeing that we do rather long sets.....and the solo projects are quite recent.

I´ve matured as a singer in the last three years and feel comfortable singing infront of others now...mostly due to the fact that I´ve come to terms with this is the voice I was given and instead of copying my role models I put songs in a suitable key for me and try to make them my own. That and having others tell you you sing nice helps...unfortunatelly I can only mostly hear my faults but I´ve been told I´m to hard on myself no matter what I do ;-)

If anybody has some opinions and pointers they´d be greatly appreciated.

Solo Project:
https://soundcloud.com/mike-1976

Cover band DiZEL:
https://soundcloud.com/dizel-2/tracks
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
your "two ranges" just sound like awkwardly transitioning through your first passagio. Find where that lies in your voice and work on smoothing out the transition, and you'll find your upper range strengthens up a lot

Its honestly not bad, I noticed a little bit of pitch problems in your solo tracks but nothing huge. Something that will really help with this is working on keeping your air support throughout the prhase. If you can manage to keep a solid line of air under you at all times, I think those problems will disappear, and you'll have an easier time spinning the higher notes.

Also in the solo tracks, work on your diction. I think part of sounding "flat" is improper vowel use, and under-articulated consonants.

I only listened to johnne b. good on your band tracks, and I honestly didn't think it sounded that bad, I don't know a lot about the intentionally raspy kind of vocals, but it sounded a lot better than most peoples on here.

If you ever want a more in depth discussion I teach voice lessons, so feel free to drop me a pm with your skype address and I can see what I can do! Keep up the good work
Quote by Tyson2011
your "two ranges" just sound like awkwardly transitioning through your first passagio. Find where that lies in your voice and work on smoothing out the transition, and you'll find your upper range strengthens up a lot

would the "akward positioning" be that of my odd "twang"( as they call it in country) shining through?....There was way to much Willie Nelson in my childhood and I´m an admirer of Southern rock and find myself bending through transitions?

Quote by Tyson2011
Its honestly not bad, I noticed a little bit of pitch problems in your solo tracks but nothing huge. Something that will really help with this is working on keeping your air support throughout the prhase. If you can manage to keep a solid line of air under you at all times, I think those problems will disappear, and you'll have an easier time spinning the higher notes.

I´ll work harder on the air thing...I find it easier when we´re playing live, I just can´t seem to muster up the same technique on my own in the basement....makes me loose the "umpf" and I´m not good enough to conjure it up without "lights camera action"

Quote by Tyson2011
Also in the solo tracks, work on your diction. I think part of sounding "flat" is improper vowel use, and under-articulated consonants.

is this my Swedish-Canadian dialekt shining through or just poor language skills?....or just like the above that I get alLittle too laid back whilst recording in my basement?

thanks for your help ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
As they would say in France "la-*bump*" :-P