I travel for work so I have no time for lesson with a teacher. So what is the best way to start this long journey? Can you tell me which book or DVD to buy? Or YouTube? I purchased a Traveler E.G. 1 custom. I like blues like Stevie Ray Von, Johnny Lang. Thanks for your help.
http://www.justinguitar.com/

That. Start with the beginner course and work your way through everything!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by seabear70
Try rocksmith.

Compared to some of the free resources that are out there, Rocksmith can't compare on its own. Using it in conjunction with the lesson material from somewhere like justinguitar.com I'm sure it can help but it's not enough as a stand-alone thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Unfortuantely I agree . Rocksmith is great but should not be used on its own .

I remember trying to learn the chords version of " where is my mind" by the pixies . After struggling for ages with bar chords I looked at the sticky on top of this page for posture , and went from like 33 % on on mastery to 77 % , just by changing the way I held the guitar pretty much .

Rocksmith is a great diversdion and will keep u interested ( I never understood much about changing tunes until I played " bat county " .) But it always keeps u interested is its biggest boon ( for me anyhow)
Another +1 for justinguitar for sure. His explanations are awesome.

I ended up going with Gibson's Learn and Master program. It's comes with a bunch of DVD's and a couple work/excercise books. It does pretty well in getting you introduced to standard notation and basic theory, then slowly introduces you to more complex stuff. It also get your feet wet with different styles like finger style, jazz, rock, etc. in hopes of helping you find your niche.

I have to warn you though starts off pretty blah... with the typical kids songs like Row Your Boat and whatnot. I pretty much skip all those songs and go striaght to the techniques and excercises, then look up my own songs I want to practice. You just have to be disciplined enough to practice each lesson in depth prior to moving to the next section.

Not a cheap purchase, but I have gotten a few nice comments on my progression so far. It's been my main resource for close to two years so there definitely no shortage of info :-)

For another awesome e-teacher, check out Martysongs youtube channel. He's awesome for learning songs and licks. Justin and Marty have made appearances on each other's youtube channels too!