So, as the title says, I'm looking for a versatile amp but I have only a budget of about 1000 euros (I need head+cab).

What I would like to have is something that:

-covers most genres, from good cleans to heavy metal tones
-has footswitchable channels/sounds (clean, rhythm, lead)
-sounds good

I've been looking around for a while, and I've read and heard good reviews about some amplifiers which seem to be good for what I need...so, I would like to hear your opinion on this.

-Laney VH100R (about 400 to 500 euros used)
-Laney Ironheart (600 to 700 new, not sure if clean sound is footswitchable?)
-Engl Powerball MKI (600 used with some luck...not sure if so versatile and if cuts through well in band situation)
-EVH 5150 MKIII 50 watt head (1000 euros new)
-Carvin V3 (800 for the 50 watts new, about 600 for the 100 watts used)

I would also need a cab, and the amp would be mainly for live use.

Almost forgot to say, I also have a POD HD500; which I currently use for practicing and tried it live, but my bandmates keep telling me that I should get a "real amp" for the music we play.

Thanks in advance for your time and advices!

EDIT: I've just seen that the hughes and kettner TRIAMP goes for about 700-800 euros used, so I think I should add it to the list
AND the trilogy
Last edited by Michele_R at Dec 19, 2013,
Hi! I personally like the cleans from the ironheart.. it's a versatile 2 channel amplifier with the added crunch switch option.
The powerball has cool crunch and lead sounds, but I don't really appreciate its cleans.

I don't have much experience with the others, maybe others can give you more details, but those two are really solid choices and you can't really go wrong.

PS- they are right, these amps will make you "grow" a lot, musically
Quote by Michele_R

-Engl Powerball MKI (600 used with some luck...not sure if so versatile and if cuts through well in band situation)

It ****in' does!
Quote by Michele_R

I would also need a cab, and the amp would be mainly for live use.

Harley Benton G212/G412 Vintage

Quote by Michele_R
Almost forgot to say, I also have a POD HD500; which I currently use for practicing and tried it live, but my bandmates keep telling me that I should get a "real amp" for the music we play.

If you like your POD, by any means send your bandmates **** themselves

Also, there's no Jet City in your list.
Among all of the things you stated I'd choose the IRT for the bang/buck thing and the 5150III for the sound, though I'd choose a JCA100HDM over all of them for that kind of money.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by lxar
powerball vs pod? really?

it's a nice step forward

But the POD is 100 times more convenient, with no need for mics and cabs and stuff when gigging.
You have a lot more sounds and funny effects, and you don't have to have the money to buy a Powerball.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
i really agree with you on the convenience for settings, patches, effects, price and so on, and I often use multieffects for recording. Still, all those amps, in terms of sound quality and dynamics, do belong to a higher bracket, and I can only suggest the TS to make the leap, if he can afford to.

Oh, I never tried the JCA! Will do!
the clean is foot switchable on the ironheart. fyi
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i'm not sure i'd say the powerball v1 is that versatile. it does have nice cleans and low gain crunch for a high gainer, but the rest of the tones are balls to the wall.

vh100r is pretty versatile.

i haven't tried the others.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go for the Powerball if you can find a good deal on it. My Ironball is a lil beast..
[..BLACKFIRE..]
have you had a look at the Blackstar ht100 and 412. I have one and it fills every need you put up there.

i myself chose it for it´s versatillity since I play in a coverband and if its like it is up here and you can get one used you´ll have money over for wheels and protective covers.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Thanks for your advices, I hope to be able to try at least the vh100r and the powerball at this point.

Anyone has some experiences to share about the V3M? To be sincere, for now it's the one I found more intresting from the list; but I would like to hear some opinions about it compared to the others.

EDIT: I've seen that the triamp MKI or Trilogy would also be in my budget...any thoughts about them?
Last edited by Michele_R at Dec 19, 2013,
Quote by Michele_R

Bandmates have heads uppa butts.

Your HD500 can be excellent live. Fact is, we see a surprising number of those (and Axe-FX and Kempers, etc.) being used direct to PA or to powered speakers or to a power amp/full-range speaker combination here in LA.

I have a rig that uses fEARless F115s with a Carvin HD1500 (1500W bridged/mono, @ 4 ohms, 900W bridged/mono at 8 ohms). The fEARless F115 is an 8 ohm cabinet that will handle 900W (and two of them, of course, will present a 4 ohm load). The HD1500 weighs perhaps 9 pounds, the F115s around 40 lbs each. The cabinets can be one-handed and have an Eminence Kappalite 3015LF 15" low frequency driver with huge Xmax, a 6" mids driver and a 1" HF driver, and will produce about 40Hz to 18,000Khz. I also use them for bass cabs (their original design intent) and for keys. They respond to EQ very well and have great dispersion. They're designed so that they can be used stacked vertically, run horizontally (like a floor monitor) or mounted on speaker stands. Probably the ultimate in versatility. Put one on either side of the drummer for disciplinary action.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 19, 2013,
I'd go for the VH100R or the 5150 III.

I really dislike the Powerball and unless it's dirt cheap, I wouldn't touch one with a 30ft pole.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com