I'm pretty happy with my technique overall when it comes to producing sounds, but every time I sing something even remotely intense, I seem to be at a complete loss of breath. Even after inhaling like a mad man after every syllable, I still run out of breath like a balloon.
Any tips on this? I know all about using the diaphragm and I am fairly certain I'm doing it right, but even when I inhale as hard as I can, I still end up almost choking on the words.
Also, I'd like to add that I seem to do better during out-door gigs regarding on-stage fitness. It's small, in-door clubs where I almost always end up gasping for air during songs.

I'm not in the best shape a man could be in. I've tried jogging, but that always ended with aching knees, rather than loss of breath.
Last edited by KingKrisKhan at Dec 18, 2013,
keeping your air support instead of expelling large amounts of air will fix this problem. Your air should maintain a constant flow when you sing, and the line should always be under your voice. When I was taught how to do this, my voice teacher explained it as "Thinking of your air like an upside down balloon" basically, what you want to do is not release all of your air at once, and think of how you can take your "balloon" and release a steady stream of air from it instead of letting it go and having all of the air release at once.

That said, you want to do this without collapsing your air stream, or holding back air, its really hard to explain in text. Shoot me a pm sometime with your skype address if you'd like, I teach voice lessons and can try to help you out! Skype isn't exactly ideal, but it definitely beats text.
Quote by KingKrisKhan

I'm not in the best shape a man could be in. I've tried jogging, but that always ended with aching knees, rather than loss of breath.

Well it sounds like you know what the problem is. There are a lot of ways to get in shape short of jogging.

Performing is hard work. Your body needs to be up for the rigors of it. Get thee to a gym. Stuff like elliptical machines can get you the benefits of jogging without the impact. Or swim, or lift weights, or bike.
Yeah, I'm not exactly ignorant to the fact that I should always keep a steady flow going , but honestly, some songs just kind of gut-punch me at certain places and then I'm left gasping. Then, even if I inhale, I still can't get a single sound out of my body and I sound like an empty mattress that's being stepped on.
Quote by KingKrisKhan
Yeah, I'm not exactly ignorant to the fact that I should always keep a steady flow going , but honestly, some songs just kind of gut-punch me at certain places and then I'm left gasping. Then, even if I inhale, I still can't get a single sound out of my body and I sound like an empty mattress that's being stepped on.

Do you happen to have a recording of this happening? I'd like to see exactly what you're talking about. I'd recommend getting some voice lessons, as it really doesn't sound like that difficult of an issue to overcome. Lots of musicians are out of shape, and sing beautifully, and I don't think thats your issue. Without actually hearing you/seeing whats going on though, its really hard to fix. If you don't want to actually post something online but have a few minutes I'll be free this weekend if you wanted to set up a skype call or something...I think its an issue that can get the basics ironed out of it pretty quickly
Here's a video of a performance from back in October: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiHS6NOfzDA
All other fails aside such as cupping the mic too much, you can clearly hear my voice crack during the chorus, because I was squeezing water out of a pebble at that point. The second chorus is much better (aside from the fact, that someone in the band was ****ing up ), because I could rest a while before singing it.
I'm not super adept at teaching these types of vocals, because I don't perform them but here is my two cents

You seem like you're bringing up a lot of chest voice into your mixed register, and its a lot easier to sing those notes if you think of approaching them from above and apply more head voice into the mix.

I'm also hearing/seeing a lot of jaw/tongue tension. Do some warm up excersises with your tongue in a relaxed position over the top of your bottom teeth to get used to singing with it in a relaxed position. A lot of singers tend to keep it tense which causes a lot of strain in the voice. You'll find that if you can get used to singing with a relaxed jaw and tongue, singing will be a lot less fatiguing and you'll get a lot more spin and resonance out of your singing.

Hope I helped in some way or another! Happy singing
Quote by Tyson2011
I'm not super adept at teaching these types of vocals, because I don't perform them but here is my two cents

You seem like you're bringing up a lot of chest voice into your mixed register, and its a lot easier to sing those notes if you think of approaching them from above and apply more head voice into the mix.

I'm also hearing/seeing a lot of jaw/tongue tension. Do some warm up excersises with your tongue in a relaxed position over the top of your bottom teeth to get used to singing with it in a relaxed position. A lot of singers tend to keep it tense which causes a lot of strain in the voice. You'll find that if you can get used to singing with a relaxed jaw and tongue, singing will be a lot less fatiguing and you'll get a lot more spin and resonance out of your singing.

Hope I helped in some way or another! Happy singing

so basically no jogging....the exercise you need too do will just make the wife happy....

...and remember...relaxed jaw ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Hahaha yeah I'm guessing my GF will be stoked about my jaw of steel. Thank for the advice, guys. Maybe my tenseness has something to do with the fact that I have a pretty big jaw? Relaxing it will surely be a task in and of itself, but thanks either way.
well the exercise I recommend with its rewards thereafter should relax the tenseness

1.but in all seriousness do you smoke?
2.is it like that all the time or just towards the end of sets

one thing I can really recommend is learning to play harmonica...I´ll usually have a 15minute go before gig time....seems to give the lips, tounge and breathing a good run through, and it calms the nerves...and looks a hell of a lot less dumb than sitting on the back step going "mini-mani-mini-mani"
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
1. I don't smoke anymore. I just smoke on and off during parties and even then it's only about 3 cigarettes. Nothing to write home about.
2. It's like that at the beginning and at the end of a set. It really bothers me.
Quote by KingKrisKhan
1. I don't smoke anymore. I just smoke on and off during parties and even then it's only about 3 cigarettes. Nothing to write home about.
2. It's like that at the beginning and at the end of a set. It really bothers me.

Unfortunatelly this is not down my Alley at all when it come to Music....I´d pass out if I tried doin that ;-) ...which leads me to my next train of thought......If I did try that I´d be giving it my all...and not being able too...hense the passing out... Mabye you should back off on the "screaming" a tad and try using more "vocals" (musically I´d prefer that...not saying our bad at all so please don´t take it that way...but I do Classic rock so don´t listen to me;-) ....as for working out, breathing exercises through yoga have helped me quite a bit....as have sit ups, working on the abs so that I can control my diaphram better which directly helps controlled breathing.

wish I could be of more assistance....hopefully someone will be along that dabbles in your genre.