martin and taylor aren't the best - they're the most well-known brands, with gibson probably coming in third. do you have preferences regarding tone, body size, neck shape or budget?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
martin and taylor aren't the best - they're the most well-known brands, with gibson probably coming in third. . . . . ?

The lady is correct. Don't (don't, don't, don't) ever buy a guitar because of the name on the headstock - go to a guitar store and play as many different guitars as you can and buy the one you like best (within your budget, of course).

And, FWIW (and personally I think it's worth a lot), you can buy just as good a guitar for a third of the price of a similar specification Martin, Taylor or Gibson.
um... there's no one neck profile from the '60s. do you prefer rounded, thin necks? i'm guessing that's what you mean.

budget is pretty important. the best sounding guitars i've played tend to cost over $3000, and only 2 were martins, 1 was a gibson (the jackson browne model - a-frickin-mazing tone!), and there are a couple taylor GCs i love that are well under $3000. i'm also a sucker for the gibson J45 and SJ200 models. hardly ever played either that i didn't love.

that being said, there are some very good ones from $800 to $2500, and some i definitely like in the $400 to $800 range, too. and considering that martins tend to have rich, bassy tones where taylors tend to be bright with less bass (some are more balanced than bright), knowing what type of tone you like would probably help.

btw, brands i consider good in the under $1200 range include guild, blueridge, some sizes of recording king (my faves are the 000 models) and eastman. my personal all-time favorite brands include santa cruz, who makes some of the most amazing smaller guitars i've played (and i've played many!), huss & dalton (i've never played one in any size that wasn't sublime), goodall guitars are almost magical, and except for the parlors and long D models, they literally redefined what a guitar could sound like with their rich tone and lush overtones. and if looking for a classical, tortorici guitars are wonderful.

Quote by ealimoradi
I prefer 60's profile necks but I don't have a preference regarding the other things
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Definitely go and try as many guitars as you can. And choose the one you think is best. In that price range, all are quality instruments, but best is relative to each person.
do you have preferences regarding tone, body size, neck shape or budget?

I prefer 60's profile necks but I don't have a preference regarding the other things

If budget is not an issue then you might as well get something custom made.