Hi guys,

I'm in dire need of a new amp, and I'd like your opinions.
I've been looking into the Roland JC-120 (a solid state with 2*12 speakers)
I use a Boss GT 8 for almost everything, so a tube amp wouldn't be a good idea, right?
I need super 'clean' cleans, but will it take heavy riffing and the occasional power chord?
(We play prog/symphonic metal)
Our other guitarist plays a Yamaha G100 212 and it's pretty nice.

I play a Mayones Setius.

Any recommendations/experiences are welcome.

Wouter
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

UG's only Belgian Prog Rock band member
Here's my Equipboard: http://equipboard.com/wdsuita
that looks like a really nice guitar.

my friend had a JC-120, nice amp. should do well with a MFX. i think the new ones are a bit expensive, you can get great prices on used ones.

i wouldn't discount tube amps, they can do just fine with mfx. especially if they have an effects loop.

i think you are going in the right direction though. the jc-120 can get plenty loud and is pro sounding. if that is what you want then i don't see you making any big mistakes there.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
You could use a tube amp with that.

If you need super clean then the Roland can do it no problem. But just be aware of the differences in tone and response a solid state amp will have vs a tube amp. There's no real right or wrong. I love my 120, it's definitely a workhorse of an amp, and you can find them used for decent money. But since you *seemingly* might not know much about the difference between tube and solid state I'd either do some more research or wait for more guys to chime in here.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
You could use a tube amp with that.

If you need super clean then the Roland can do it no problem. But just be aware of the differences in tone and response a solid state amp will have vs a tube amp. There's no real right or wrong. I love my 120, it's definitely a workhorse of an amp, and you can find them used for decent money. But since you *seemingly* might not know much about the difference between tube and solid state I'd either do some more research or wait for more guys to chime in here.

You're right, I've never had one. The amp I'm running now is a Marshall AVT 100, which is great for practicing with, but just not good enough for rehearsing, def. not for gigging.

Thanks though
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

If someone asks me if they should consider the JC120 I'll probably always say yes, it's not a bad amp at all. But there's always going to be the question of it being the BEST choice.

FWIW based on what you play and what you use I don't see it not working out for you.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Lord Waltaa

I've been looking into the Roland JC-120 (a solid state with 2*12 speakers)
I use a Boss GT 8 for almost everything, so a tube amp wouldn't be a good idea, right?
I need super 'clean' cleans, but will it take heavy riffing and the occasional power chord?

I'm using more full range setups rather than guitar amps/speakers.
For starters, there's more power available and, often, more highs and lows (if your GT 8 should decide those are appropriate. Often lighter to carry around as well. I know these are out of your reach in the EU, probably, but the Carvin PM15A is one example.

$299. This is a 2-way system with a 15" bottom and a 1" titanium HF driver. 400W RMS solid state amp built in. 37 lbs, and you can put it up on a stand or on the floor as a tilt-up monitor style.

$1199. Roland JC 120. 2x12. Two 60W RMS amps. 61 lbs.

Or get a separate speaker cab/power amp...the Carvin LS1503 is a three-way that utilizes a 6" mids driver as well as the 15"LF and 1" HF drivers. Enormous power handling (400W RMS to 1600W Peak), great bottom end. It weighs around 58 lbs, $259 each. A Carvin HD1500 (1500W RMS bridged, mono@4 ohms, 900W RMS bridged, mono, @8 ohms) will run about $279. Altogether, about half the price of the JC 120 with much higher output available (tons of clean headroom), a much wider frequency response range and not much additional weight.
What is your budget?

If you want extreme cleans there are way better amps. The JC120 is extremely colored sounding giving the illusion of clean. Its a great color or a lot of clean stuff, but any dirt sounds awful colored like that. If you want cleaner and more warm you may want to look into a tube amp. Or if you can afford it, the Evans RE500 is far cleaner and far warmer than even the high end Fenders. If you are on a budget the bugera v series are really nice.
To me it sounds like you are using distorted tones more than cleans. Am I right?

If I am then I think you'd be better off getting an amp with good distorted tones and a reasonable clean channel. Amp distortion on a good tube amp will sound better than the Boss.

What artists does your band sound like? Just to get a better idea f exactly the tones you're after.
[404]Signature not found
Quote by nyandres
What is your budget?

If you want extreme cleans there are way better amps. The JC120 is extremely colored sounding giving the illusion of clean. Its a great color or a lot of clean stuff, but any dirt sounds awful colored like that. If you want cleaner and more warm you may want to look into a tube amp. Or if you can afford it, the Evans RE500 is far cleaner and far warmer than even the high end Fenders. If you are on a budget the bugera v series are really nice.

I'm willing to spend up to 1000 euros, so I need an amp that will last me a lifetime.
The Evans looks very nice, but it's a bit steep!
thanks for the info though.

Quote by jmaguire
To me it sounds like you are using distorted tones more than cleans. Am I right?

Not really. I'd say 50/50.

Quote by jmaguire
What artists does your band sound like? Just to get a better idea f exactly the tones you're after.

That's a tough one. There's some Toto, some Marillion, some Opeth (not the super heavy stuff, but you know...).
I can't really define our band by comparison. We've got a something special when it comes to our "sound".

I guess I want the perfect "all rounder" I can use with the multi-effects processor.
OR with the things I mentioned built-in (an ultra clean clean, a solid distortion and an epic solo-sound.) but I don't know where to start!

Last edited by Lord Waltaa at Dec 19, 2013,
The JC120 is a very good amp, reliable & loud enough to gig. It will work very well with MFX units., should last a life time. Get a used one though, new they can be on the expensive side of things. If you are looking for some newer FRFR solution for your mfx unit then maybe look into the atomic CLR, not sure if they are available in europe or what they cost there either.
I found a great deal on a Fender Twin Reverb. I bought it. I love it.
Probably getting rid of the Boss multi though.

Although my questions were kind of pointless, thanks for the help anyway !!!