Hey guys! I've been wanting to make a post like this for a while, mainly because of the amount of flack I've seen for this amp series in the past year that I've had it. About a year ago I was looking for my first real size combo amp. I wanted something versatile, cheap, lightweight, but loud enough to gig with and I stumbled upon the vox vt80+, my initial reactions were as follows.

"Wow, this sucks"

Well after deciding that I might as well make the best of what I had purchased, and working with it for about a month, my entire mind set had changed. This amplifier is truly one of the best low end modeling amps I've played. Now, it takes some time to get a tone you want and the on board effects can sometimes be digital. But I will get to all that. First of all let's talk about the versatility and what this amp actually has to offer.

This series boasts 33 amp models. How ever Ive used maybe 6. Honestly a lot of the amount models don't sound very good, or they just sound fake and cheap, and I will agree with people in that aspect. But the 6 models that I like sound great, and I mean great! They are dynamic, and true to the sounds they are replicating. I love the Marshall tones, a couple of the fenders, and the dual rec sound isn't too bad either. However, the effects on board are a bit of a buzz kill.

The effects. I don't know what it is about on board effects on amps, but they always sound like crap. I use the delay, chorus, and reverb on my vt80+ and that's pretty much it. The rest of them sound alright, but I definitely don't, use them for any gigs. Do yourself a favor and take the money you saved from spending 280 on 6 great sounding amps and invest in some good pedals.

Now the volume, this thing is loud, and doesn't suffer from any of the ills that most 1x12s do. I usually run it at 80 watts (it has an attenuator) and use the master volume instead of changing the wattage, head room is very important, and right around there the tube starts to cook and you get some really good compression and extra bass end. Even at these high volumes it doesn't sound boxy, its a very punchy amp and sounds great.

Personally I love this amp, and I'm a little confused as to why everybody hates this amplifier, it sounds better than the line6 spiders I've heard. If anybody has any questions about this amp I would love to answer them. I've used it some what extensively and want to put some myths to rest.
Now go trying a Vypyr Tube 60, brother.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
"Better than a spider" isn't exactly high praise. With the Vypyrs, spider valves, mustangs, and an increasing number of good, affordable non-modeling amps with some tonal range, the VT series just doesn't stand out the way it did ten years ago when it had less competition. If you look through old threads, you'll see that VTs were a very common suggestion circa 2006. Since then, they've fallen behind in favor and the update to the + series hasn't been enough to bring them back to the head of the pack. Maybe you think they're awesome, but that doesn't make you right, or special; we've all got opinions that go against the majority but most people don't post a thread about it.

Your post doesn't add much to the conversation; I'm glad you like your amp, but that doesn't mean anyone else should like it. It's become very popular recently to describe any dissenting opinion as "hate" and I think that's what's happened here.
Quote by ColeFleming

and I'm a little confused as to why everybody hates this amplifier, it sounds better than the line6 spiders I've heard. If anybody has any questions about this amp I would love to answer them. I've used it some what extensively and want to put some myths to rest.

Can you make a quick list of posts where people are hating on the VTs?

I don't see that going on. It may not be recommended as much as other amps but maybe there is a reason for that

Personally, I think they are semi decent and I've recommended them before used - like off of craigslist if someone has a lower budget and is looking for a cheap modeler to do low gain stuff and rock.

I agree there is better stuff out there today than there was 4 or 5 years ago when that thing came out.
I was just making a post as to why I like these amps a lot haha. I guess maybe it was unprovoked, but, I just thought it was worth a post. Didn't realize I had to have a reason to post my opinion of something I own online. Also I posted this because whilst looking at these amps online there were either people saying they were very bad or, that they liked the older vt series but not these, I thought I'd post my opinion for people who were trying to purchase a decent modeler.
Quote by Spambot_2
Now go trying a Vypyr Tube 60, brother.

Yeah, those things sound great haha. Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever buy another modeling amp. My next amp purchase is probably going to be a rv in a year or two.
It's no big deal if you want to post your opinion, just odd that you decided to do all this just because. I mean hey, knock yourself out, whatever.

FWIW I like the VT+, the one I tried had some very tubey sounds, preferred it to the Mustang.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
It's no big deal if you want to post your opinion, just odd that you decided to do all this just because. I mean hey, knock yourself out, whatever.

FWIW I like the VT+, the one I tried had some very tubey sounds, preferred it to the Mustang.

Yeah! Looking at it, it is really strange, but I feel like we get a lot of, "I JUST GOT THIS ITEM AND ITS THE BEST\WORST THING EVER!!!" Posts, and I like to give my thoughts on things after I've had them for a while.

Sorry of I caused any annoyance my making a pointless post, I can remove it if need be.
Quote by ColeFleming
Yeah! Looking at it, it is really strange, but I feel like we get a lot of, "I JUST GOT THIS ITEM AND ITS THE BEST\WORST THING EVER!!!" Posts, and I like to give my thoughts on things after I've had them for a while.

Sorry of I caused any annoyance my making a pointless post, I can remove it if need be.

I mean hey, the damage is done anyways, we can't unread it

Like I said, odd, not bad. You're fine, it's much better than having someone ask how they get gig worthy equipment that sounds like a pro for $200.
Strange. I read most of the threads on this forum, for a few years, and I've never really seen any hate for the vt. In fact, its one of the more praised and and recommended amps in that range.

I agree with you in that they're excellent bang for buck, especially used. I have the vt30 and 100 and love 'em but they just don't compare to my Rebel 20 so they don't get a lot of use. I can't recall anyone ever bashing them though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by ColeFleming
Vt+ not vt, everybody likes the vt fine haha.

Well at least on this forum we don't really give any of them a particularly big advantage over the other (modeling amps) except anything is better than a spider

A cheap modeler is as good as another, though admittedly the Vypyr has the Mustang and VT+ beat for metal.
Haha, if you guys could hear my buddies spider jam you would change your mind awfully quick. I played through a twin and him through his spider. And his tones were still better. Really proves that tone is in the hands I guess.
Quote by ColeFleming
Haha, if you guys could hear my buddies spider jam you would change your mind awfully quick. I played through a twin and him through his spider. And his tones were still better. Really proves that tone is in the hands I guess.

Here come the cats.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ColeFleming

I agree! The spider is way better at getting awful tone! The twin really doesn't do novice tones well at all, so overrated.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by ColeFleming

That post just means that every other opinion you've stated in this thread will now be completely ignored and disregarded.
[404]Signature not found
Classic newb with beginner ears liking his SS practice amp over a tube.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.