The ONLY Film Thread Presents: Spoiler Alert! (Episode 2: Pulp Fiction)

The Film Thread would like to invite you to a special discussion of classic movies. Please use this thread to discuss any aspect of the selected film.
This week’s selection is…

Pulp Fiction (1994)

don't you just love it when you come back from the bathroom and find your food waiting for you?

What's this thing?: Tarantino's classic 1994 crime movie follows three storylines, with all three intersecting in unique ways. Or something like that.

Why is this remembered?: Outside of the millions of posters filling dorm rooms across the country, Pulp Fiction blends pop culture references, over the top violence, black humor, and a non-linear storyline. It's dialogue is endlessly quotable, funny, and hip. The stylized violence mixed with comedy made it an audience favorite. Tarantino shines through the entire film. His directing is as much a character as Jules.

In film circles, it's remembered for bringing postmodern cinema to the mainstream. Tarantino's use of pastiche, homage, and a deriding tone make it a prime example of postmodern film making.

How is this relevant to ME?!: You've all seen it.

A little bit of history: Pulp magazines (often referred to as "the pulps") are inexpensive fiction magazines published from 1896 through the 1950s. Pulps were the successor to the penny dreadfuls, dime novels, and short fiction magazines of the 19th century. Although many respected writers wrote for pulps, the magazines are best remembered for their lurid and exploitative stories and sensational cover art. Modern superhero comic books are sometimes considered descendants of "hero pulps"; pulp magazines often featured illustrated novel-length stories of heroic characters, such as The Shadow, Doc Savage and The Phantom Detective.

(all copied from Wikipedia)

lolmnt's excellent take: Just as gastropubs try to elevate typical bar food to fine dining, Pulp Fiction is an attempt at raising typically scorned genres to fine art.

Let's get this party started!: I was going to type of a list of questions, but we've all seen it so let's talk about it!

Tarantino tracker: 3
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I just showed this movie to my friend last Friday (they've never seen it). It was awesome.

I've been thinking about it and there are quite a few parallels throughout the film that I didn't notice before. But right now I've forgotten what those are.

The only one coming to mind is bullets and God. The first time Vincent and Jules were being shot at point blank range, they miraculously survived as none of the bullets hit them. Jules acknowledges that God played a part in this and it's a sign for him to quit the gangster life, but Vincent brushes it off as a coincidence. Vince dies a few days later in an almost identical situation, while Jules has presumably quit and is "walking the earth".

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Nelshizzle

In Boston, there's a place called Tasty Burger right up the street from where I lived. Inside there is a giant mural of Jules eating the burger. They have a Big Kahuna burger on the menu. It happens to be my favorite.

http://www.tastyburger.com/tasty-burger-fenway/

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Xiaoxi
I just showed this movie to my friend last Friday (they've never seen it). It was awesome.

I've been thinking about it and there are quite a few parallels throughout the film that I didn't notice before. But right now I've forgotten what those are.

The only one coming to mind is bullets and God. The first time Vincent and Jules were being shot at point blank range, they miraculously survived as none of the bullets hit them. Jules acknowledges that God played a part in this and it's a sign for him to quit the gangster life, but Vincent brushes it off as a coincidence. Vince dies a few days later in an almost identical situation, while Jules has presumably quit and is "walking the earth".
I like this. Typically when I think about PF I think about the pop culture aesthetics and all that, but themes tend to be an afterthought.

And in the pivotal I shot Marvin in the Face scene, they're having a conversation about divine intervention as Marvin accidentally gets shot.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
It's a very very good film. I've not seen it in ages though but it was the film that made love films so thanks Mr. Tarantino.

In some what related news Screwdriver is my favourite cocktail, I know it's a Jackie Brown deal but the two are close together so yeah

Pulp Fiction is a fantastic melding of high and low art and it deserves all the praise it gets. Still fresh despite numerous parodies.
this movie is for s

I still think Pulp Fiction is a long way off Tarantino's best. It's the kind of film that people really love when they're just getting into film, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.

It's just not as tight as something like Reservoir Dogs, there are sections that could easily be cut without the film really being hurt. But then there are scenes that are so good I can feel a smile creeping across my face as it unfolds, and I don't get that very often.
What's the significance of the 50s?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Bump for the nite crew
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I think I'll watch this later. I hardly even remember the movie it's been so long.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Weaponized
heroin overdose lady is the cutest

Fun fact: she and QT thought of the Kill Bill character while working on Pulp Fiction together.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Man I love this movie, Although If we're talking Tarrintino I have a huge soft spot for Inglorious Basterds
I like the part where John Travolta stabs Uma Thurman in the boob with a giant needle.

And when Samuel L. Jackson does the thing. You know what I'm talking about.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by lolmnt
Fun fact: she and QT thought of the Kill Bill character while working on Pulp Fiction together.

that is a fun fact!
The movie would be pretty perfect without the Bruce Willis and his potbelly girlfriend stuff. Bores me every time. But that's Tarantino.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by MinterMan22
this movie is for s

#rectangles
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump