Budget? - Generally looking between $400-900. Used.

Preferences? - Must have a non-locking trem. 24 frets. LP, Stratish or Superstrat. Must have back (belly) contour. Strongly prefer forearm contour, but they seem to be rare. Strongly prefer a carved top, I don't get along with most flat top guitars. Either 24.75" or 25.5" scale.

Pickups? - HH or HS. Since the latter is nearly nonexistent, we'll just say HH. Don't care about what pickup models are in it, they'll get swapped.

Location? - Southern California, USA. I can get to San Diego, Riverside & Orange Counties without much fuss.

Current Gear? - The gear listed on my profile is up to date. Peavey Vypyr Tube & VIP3 for amps.

That out of the way, I'm basically looking for other alternatives besides SE Cu24 (didn't feel great to me) or a Carvin (Not sure I want to spend $1200-1500 on one). I'm looking into the PRS CE24, but I have no way of trying one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
How about a Jackson DKMG with FR trem carved top, HH setup or HSH, strat style body...?
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
I have an EC-1000.

I need something with a non locking trem. not fixed bridge, not Floyd Rose.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Maybe a Sterling JP50/JP60/JP100?

edit: They've changed a little. Either a JP60 or JP100D which comes with the JP set of Dimarzios.
Last edited by Soccerguy at Dec 18, 2013,
I am not familiar with MM/Sterling at all.

Are the pickups the only difference between the models, or is there actually a quality difference?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm always for more Schecters, very solid guitars even better if you invest in after-market pups.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Ibanez S-Series.
2014 Gibson SG Special
Peavey Classic 30
Squier Standard Stratocaster HSS
Fender CD60CE
Fender v2 Mustang III
Roland Micro Cube
MXR M75
I have an S420.

I appreciate that you guys are trying to help, but please read the OP carefully. I took the time to write it up for a reason.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
a Carvin (Not sure I want to spend $1200-1500 on one).

USED Carvin?
A Godin Velocity might make you happy. HSS, 24 frets, trem- $899 new @$500 used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Godin Session? You can go for a Session Custom if the regular Sessions are below what you want to spend (regular Sessions go used for around $350 or less.)
Other Godins in your price range:

Freeway SA: HSH, nice trem.

Passion RG-2: HH w/trem, new @$1900, used @$950
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 18, 2013,
Thank you, I will look into Godin. another brand I know nothing about.

A used Carvin would be great, but I'll be a skeleton before I find one with a Wilkinson and finish options I like. If I did go Carvin I would save up for one, but at that point I wonder if just getting a PRS CE24 would do the job. A Carvin would have basically the same specs and aesthetics, but at $500 more.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
CE24s are pretty badass.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Just a thought- have you considered guitars with a bridge HB and a P90 in the neck? That would deliver a variation on the HS configuration you asked about before. They're kind of rare- not as rare as HS guitars- but I'm seeing more and more of them as time goes on.

Here's one I know of that is good and affordable:
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/double-agent-iii/

Yeah, that might be fine. I don't use the neck much, I don't use it as a primary form of tone, I just switch to it if I'm playing a part and I feel like it needs to be bassier or smoother.

Of course, with an S or a P90 that usage will probably be irrelevant, but still. Point is I don't NEED an HB there.

EDIT: None of these have 24 frets.

The CE24/ SE Cu24 is shaping up to be the only option here.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 19, 2013,
you could probably get a S2 custom 24 for that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I know of someone who is selling a Carvin with a wilkinson tremolo and maybe it has 24 frets.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153576650680468&set=gm.268407213306906&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

I hope the links work. He is selling it for 899... but doesnt look like it has a carved top.
You can pm me if you want more info
Sorry if my english is wrong .
Ibanez S420
Carvin V3M
Carvin 112 cab in White
^ that's that stealth dude who posts here, right? I recognise the stool (and the guitar)

but yeah aside from a custom build/semi-custom build, off the top of my head I'm only thinking of godin or PRS, and they've already been mentioned. there's probably something really obvious I'm forgetting.

EDIT: edwards: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/sn/E-SN-120.html

whether it's gettable in the US (or reasonably-priced even if it is) is another thing.

EDIT #2: it has a forearm contour, dunno about belly- i'd assume so, but if you really care i'd check. I don't think you're going to get a forearm contour with a carved top, normally it's one or the other.

to be honest I'd say a PRS (non SE) is probably better. the edwards is probably better than an SE, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 19, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that's that stealth dude who posts here, right? I recognise the stool (and the guitar)

Haha I dont really know, I suppose he is. He seems to be constantly buying and selling super expensive guitars on facebook... I kind of envy him :P
I really wish I could buy that guitar instead of maybe ordering one myself in a year...
Sorry if my english is wrong .
Ibanez S420
Carvin V3M
Carvin 112 cab in White
Last edited by YamiFrankc at Dec 19, 2013,
bolt on carvin series would be my #1

ok. G&L strats have a double action trem....way better than a fender IMO. try that.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Dec 19, 2013,
Fender Showmaster. No longer made, but there are usually a couple for sale on ebay.

Fender's Specs on this guitar:
Model Name: Showmaster® HH (Gold Top)
Model Number: 026-2700-(578)
Series: Special Edition Series
Body: Basswood, Carved Top
Neck: Maple, Set Neck, Modern “C” Shape,
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 15.75” Radius (400 mm)
No. of Frets: 24 Jumbo Frets
Scale Length: 25.5" (648mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.625”
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines
Bridge: Custom 6-Saddle Synchronous Tremolo
Pickups:
* 1 Fender Santa AnaTM Humbucking Pickup (Bridge),
* 1 Fender AtomicTM Humbucking Pickup (Neck)

Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade Switch:
* Position 1. Full Bridge Humbucker
* Position 2. Two Inside Single Coils
* Position 3. Both Full Humbuckers
* Position 4. Inner Neck Single Coil
* Position 5. Full Neck Humbucker

Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
Colors: (578) Aztec Gold,
Unique Features: Cream Colored Top Body Binding,
Cream Colored Pickups and Bezels,
Side Dot Position Inlays Only,
Graphite Nut
Source: Korea
INTRODUCED: 7/2003
DISCONTINUED: 1/2004

Here's mine... not for sale though...

Quote by YamiFrankc
Haha I dont really know, I suppose he is. He seems to be constantly buying and selling super expensive guitars on facebook... I kind of envy him :P
I really wish I could buy that guitar instead of maybe ordering one myself in a year...

yeah that sounds like him
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that's that stealth dude who posts here, right? I recognise the stool (and the guitar)

Stealthtastic is his screenname.

^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?