Howdy peeps, possibly a stupid question, possibly not. A youtube comment I read has probably confused me when it shouldn't have at all but just to be safe I thought I'd ask on here if only for my sanity.

Basically I've recorded demos for my band and other bands for a while now, always used an 8 channel audio interface. Sounds great for what I need it for. I've recently been thinking about ways to get more channels with XLR inputs and 8 channels seems to be the limit you can get with audio interfaces. This has lead me to look at the possibility of using mixing desks with 10-16 xlr inputs on them.

Now my question is is it actually possible to use a mixing desk as an audio interface or assuming I had a desk that was capable of doing so, from the comment I read on youtube it seems that you can only use no more than two channels to record at any one time as opposed to all 8 on an audio interface. Am I talking total rubbish or is that true?

If it IS true then what ways is it possible for me to get more than 8 xlr inputs that I can track a full band live with? 8 just ain't enough anymore!

Hope this made sense, cheers!
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Side note I've looked at Peavey PV20 Usb mixing desks and Alto ZMX164FX USB mixing desks so far, don't have a huge budget sadly
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Mixings desks are control surfaces... all the outputs from a mixing will go into an interface anyway.

You need an interface, you don't need a mixing desk.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Hmmmm I was right to ask then!

What options do I have really then to get more than 8 channels? If I can somehow double that that would be perfect, ideally I'd like to have more channels for micing up a drum kit, bass + a DI too etc. Multi-tracking live is the way I like to record really
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

You'll be looking at things like the Saffire Pro24 or Scarlett 18i8.

Honestly that part of the interface world isn't my speciality, but hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will come about at some point!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I would start at your software and come back what is the best hardware for THAT software.

if your aiming to record 16 channels your talking pretty specialized hardware and you want it to run perfectly with the software you have chosen.

example if your running Cubase far better off buying Steinberg/Cubase hardware and if your using Protools best to start looking at Avid gear. if you want other options sure many are out there But better to do alot of reading and checking users reviews before buying anything so ALL those 16 channel come in without any issues.

also 16 channel interface is ALOT different to your standard 2 channel usb device.
you don't get preamp's in most 16 channel interfaces.
Last edited by T4D at Dec 19, 2013,
You can often daisy-chain interfaces together. For instance, I get 16 channels into Cubase (each channel with its own preamp) by using:

Steinberg MR816 (first 8 best quality inputs)
Behringer ADA8000 (decent 8 inputs)

The Behringer connects to the MR816 via ADAT cable.

Cubase "sees" all 16 channels as discrete inputs.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ This. It's not daisy chaining interfaces though.

The Behringer ADA is 8 channels of mic preamp/AD converters (not an interface), and is your best (budget) option if your interface has an ADAT input.
Quote by T4D
I would start at your software and come back what is the best hardware for THAT software.

if your aiming to record 16 channels your talking pretty specialized hardware and you want it to run perfectly with the software you have chosen.

example if your running Cubase far better off buying Steinberg/Cubase hardware and if your using Protools best to start looking at Avid gear. if you want other options sure many are out there But better to do alot of reading and checking users reviews before buying anything so ALL those 16 channel come in without any issues.

also 16 channel interface is ALOT different to your standard 2 channel usb device.
you don't get preamp's in most 16 channel interfaces.

Um... What?

Dude, if you're recording 16 channels you usually have something with an ADAT in that has 8 ins as is. Focusrite/MOTU/whoever stuff works fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Um... What?

Dude, if you're recording 16 channels you usually have something with an ADAT in that has 8 ins as is. Focusrite/MOTU/whoever stuff works fine.

Um... What?

so your advice is buy the cheapest one. it will work No need to do research because oneblackened know his SH&# .. ?

ok
Most audio interface are usable if you have 2 of them.
2 liquid saffire 56s, 2 onyx blackbirds, 2 apollos, whatever you prefer.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Cheers guys! You all definitely steered me in the correct direction, done a bit more research into it and I've now purchased a Focusrite 18i20 interface with plans on adding the Octopre when I can afford it.

Going to have to sell my current interface now, sadly it doesn't have any ADAT capabilities so it's gotta go! The focusrite preamps are probably a lot better though anyway so I'm a happy bunny!

Cheers guys
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab