Hi UG,

Please do correct me if my understanding is wrong, here's what I currently know of overdrive/distortion pedals:

i'm thinking of getting either a Suhr Riot or a Blackstar HT-Dual to complement my sound when I plug into the amp in my school (which I also will use for gigs). I'm pretty disappointed with the sound I get when I plug it into a BB Preamp (which is what I do use at home to give me a boost).

My question is: would getting a distortion pedal completely change the tonal quality to the pedal itself and not the amp? I did read somewhere that overdrive pedals like the BB Preamp just give it a boost and do not alter the sound as much as a distortion pedal like the Suhr Riot.

Would the Blackstar HT-Dual alter the sound more than a Suhr Riot since it has more "features"?

Or would both still sound bad since the amp itself isn't great?

I like the sound of both the Suhr and the Blackstar, but getting the Suhr would also allow me to explore more tones at home. I already have a HT-5 at home, and getting another HT-pedal would probably be redundant.

Thanks!
riot.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sounds like you're spending $200 for a pedal and have to borrow an amp. Save your money on pedals and get a good amp.
you really do need a new amp. for some reason i missed part of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What amp is the one at school and why aren't you just buying a nrw amp? 200 bones should get you close to a decent used amp anyway.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I have an HT-Dual Distortion. It's a nice pedal. The ISF feature can completely change the sound of my amp. I think it's just a mix between European and American amp tones. Your HT-5 does have the same ISF Control, but having two could create some interesting tones. The dual channels are a very nice feature.

What kind of amp does your school have and what don't you like about it?
..I was watching my death.
unless you're in a situation where you absolutely have to use the school's amp and have no choice in the matter, i'd get a better amp before throwing lots of money at pedals.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?