I've had this harmonica sitting on my shelf for years, so I finally decided I'd learn how to play it! Need recommendations of good bands that use harmonicas to start learning some songs.

Type of music I like tends to be more punk rock, pop punky music, which I doubt I'd find anything with a good harpist... I think I'd have more luck with Indie or Folk or something along those lines.

And yes I know there's a lot of blues and classic rock with harmonica, and I'll try some of those, but it's not really my style.

Also, I put this in the pit because I couldn't find a better place, but if anyone knows a better place to ask let me know!

Thanks!
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6FV2qR2TY

Also, you said you don't like blues but Blues Traveler is a terrific place to start when learning harmonica. Sadly, the harmonica really only takes precedence in blues and blues/rock music.

A really popular and easy harmonica lick to start off with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdz5kCaCRFM

Also try and find their song "Dropping Some NYC". I can't find it on YouTube but it is a really simple and fun harmonica lick.

For further help, check out Dan Gage on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL7lcA1V2Ns

Hope this all helps!
Should help! I like the videos, so I'll definitely check that all out. Thanks!
~ The Mad Hatter

Suck.
Blow.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Suck.
Blow.

umm, thats what she said?
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by nbur4556
umm, thats what she said?

If she's talking yer doing it wrong.

Best way to start on the harmonica is to buy one and do what she said.

There are a wide variety of harp styles available for different sounds and effects.
There is a very wide variety of playing styles.

But seriously best thing to do is buy one and let it rip.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
If I were going to learn to play harmonica I'd probably play a blues backing track in whatever key my harmonica is in and then work out the notes of the major pentatonic scale and then lose interest after I start to get the hang of it in a few days.

So you should do that except maybe not the last bit.
Go for folk punk. Harmonica always sounds good in that shit

Also check here

www.ultimate-harmonica.com
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
What you really need is an ocarina
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Some basics. There are a lot of different ways to play a harp. Everything from the simplest folk stuff to very complex jazz arrangements on big chromatic harps.

For your purposes, there are basically three styles.

1. "Straight" harp. You play a harp in the key of the song you're playing. Mostly chordal accompaniment. Think, Bob Dylan or Neil Young. Get a holder and wail away. The notes on a typical diatonic harp are laid out in such manner that you can play both single notes and chords in the key the harp is made in.

2. Blues harp. Quite different. Here, for the most part, you play a harp in a different key from the song. This is called "cross harp". The most common is to use a harp a fourth above the key of the song. For an "E" Blues, an "A" harp.
This because the most-used notes for a blues progression fall out on the draw holes. The draw holes are way easier to bend, slur, and wail on than are blow notes.
You can learn all this in detail from many sources, I recommend the book "Blues Harp" by Tony "Little Sun" Glover.
Finally, straight melodic harp, the sort of thing where you play melodies from simpler (diatonic) tunes on the harp, usually solo or maybe with a guitar to play rhythm. You used to hear a lot of this type of playing in country music. (still do, actually.)