I'm just wondering how easy it is to down tune strat/strat like guitars, because I'm thinking about buying a Fernandes Retrorocket Pro, which is basically an HSS strat but with a sustainer pick up. So is it easy to tune them to Eb, drop D, drop Db, etc. from standard?
If it has a 25.5 scale it should be fine to downtime because most metal players also use that scale
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
As easy as it is for any hardtail guitar. The only big problem is if you want to down tune and still have the trem setup to float.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
What tunings are you going to use? If you are staying in one tuning, it will be good and you can have your tremolo floating. But if you change your tunings frequently, you need to "hardtail" your tremolo.

Do you need a whammy bar? If not, buy a guitar with fixed bridge and you will have no issues. There are some (Super)Strats with fixed bridge.

If you want to play in lower tunings, buy heavier strings. Any guitar works in lower tunings, as long as you have heavy enough strings (or don't mind loose strings).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What tunings are you going to use? If you are staying in one tuning, it will be good and you can have your tremolo floating. But if you change your tunings frequently, you need to "hardtail" your tremolo.

Do you need a whammy bar? If not, buy a guitar with fixed bridge and you will have no issues. There are some (Super)Strats with fixed bridge.

If you want to play in lower tunings, buy heavier strings. Any guitar works in lower tunings, as long as you have heavy enough strings (or don't mind loose strings).

I listed the tunings in the main post, but drop D, Eb, drop Db, and standard. I don't go much beyond that, but I'll occasionally go to whole step down or drop B.
^ Yeah, Eb and E aren't that far away from each other and I think same strings should work on both tunings. But you would need to do a set up after every tuning change if you wanted to use the whammy bar. As I said, you could of course just "hardtail" it.

I don't think strings that work in standard will work in drop B or vice versa. You'll either have pretty tight feeling strings in standard or pretty loose feeling strings in drop B.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by pinkspider357
I listed the tunings in the main post, but drop D, Eb, drop Db, and standard. I don't go much beyond that, but I'll occasionally go to whole step down or drop B.

There is a pretty big difference between drop D and B. Too big in fact to use the same strings without the tension being either way to high in one or way to low in the other. That pretty much ****s up anything other than hardtails.

If you absolutely wan't both drop D and B, the best way is to get two guitars and keep one properly set up for each tuning. There is no magic solution here. Even if you go hardtail, you still have to deal with tension. And to get that within playable range you WILL need different string for those tunings. Spaghetti strings are horrible to play and sound like crap.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Yeah, Eb and E aren't that far away from each other and I think same strings should work on both tunings. But you would need to do a set up after every tuning change if you wanted to use the whammy bar. As I said, you could of course just "hardtail" it.

I don't think strings that work in standard will work in drop B or vice versa. You'll either have pretty tight feeling strings in standard or pretty loose feeling strings in drop B.

Ok, so what's the easiest way to "hardtail" it?
Quote by DanishViking
There is a pretty big difference between drop D and B. Too big in fact to use the same strings without the tension being either way to high in one or way to low in the other. That pretty much ****s up anything other than hardtails.

If you absolutely wan't both drop D and B, the best way is to get two guitars and keep one properly set up for each tuning. There is no magic solution here. Even if you go hardtail, you still have to deal with tension. And to get that within playable range you WILL need different string for those tunings. Spaghetti strings are horrible to play and sound like crap.

Yeah, but like I said, I only occasionally go to drop b, at most I go to Drop Db
Quote by pinkspider357
Yeah, but like I said, I only occasionally go to drop b, at most I go to Drop Db
Yeah, and like he said, if you occasionally go to drop B, your guitar will occasionally feel (and sound) like you're playing with spaghetti for strings.
Quote by pinkspider357
Ok, so what's the easiest way to "hardtail" it?

You literally just jam some wood in between the back of the trem block and the edge of the routing in the back of the guitar. If you have wood working skills you can make it nice and neat and a perfect fit... or you can do like me a buy wood shims, stack a 2 or 3 to fit then glue them together and lightly hammer it in.
The guy from Biffy Clyro tunes his strat down to Drop C!
Schecter C-1+
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Seymour Duncan Invader
EHX Metal Muff
Blackstar ID Core 20