I'm playing guitar for a half year now.

I can play all the chords fluently, but know I'm practicing the pentatonic scale, different licks: in general other things then chords. Acoustic isn't really made for that kind of stuff.

So I want to buy myself an electric guitar and amp. I have a budget of about 600 euro's (500 pound, 875 dollar) for both amp and guitar, I could stretch that a bit but not much.

My favourite bands are: The Dire Straits, Tool and Mastodon. It would be nice if i could play those songs.

What do you guys suggest?

Thanks,

Michiel
Xaviere XV-890HSS and Vypyr Tube 60.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ personally i'd spend more on the guitar- a £350 guitar combined with a £150 modeller would be pretty nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I agree with Dave_Mc. Maybe an Epiphone Les Paul and a Roland Cube or something?
Gear:

Ibanez S420 > Boss TU-3 > Crybaby > Ibanez TS9 > Marshall Shredmaster > EHX Big Muff Pi > TC Alter Ego X4 > Peavey VK 112
+1 to tube vyper but I'll throw out Agile al2000 for guitar.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Timon 95
I agree with Dave_Mc. Maybe an Epiphone Les Paul and a Roland Cube or something?

Dunnow, The xavieres are better than any epi I tried.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The 'best' guitar will be whatever the poster himself bought. Or the one the guitar store is trying to sell the most.

Guitar wise you have basic choices- 'les paul' or 'strat' - aka, dual humbuckers or single coil. Get the 'style' your fave sounds come from.

Cheap vs good...Been down both roads. I have a dean that is fantastic and played a fender jazz (i play bass, my kids guitar) that was crap - maybe a good lutier setup would fix it, hard to say.

My daughter has a $120 strat copy, you can find squier strats for $90 on christmas sales right now. The cheap copy has better bits on it that the low end squier. Resale value will be nothing where a true squier will have more (should you want to upgrade one day). Plays and sounds great (or i'd not have boought it).

Got my son a washburn elec with all sorts of goodies on it...on clearance. Sounds great also. Is it 4 times better than the cheapo strat copy? Hey, if it makes YOU feel better and play more, then yes.

Would a $250 epi LP copy do that? An LTD brand (seems to be a good inexpensive brand) do that for less?

A 'better' instrument will be easier to play, sound better, last longer, be easier to get your money out of it later should you want/ need to.

Amp is going to be trickier. Just about everyone online will tell you get a tube amp. It's your money.... SS is cheaper, never needs tubes (which do degrade over time like strings) is lighter and can do more.

30-60w range should be great. Fender Mustangs are great amps, can emulate very well lots of diff sounds too. The 3 or 4 would last you a long time. The 5 is overkill but if you want to 'be hendrix' you can get feedback like he did - walk up the speakers and shake it baby (but don't expect to hear much the rest of the day!)

Best thing is BE PATIENT - go to stores weekly or so and play differ guitars (new and used) through different amps and see what you like.

The local stores here get used guitars in all the time - local GC has two fender jazz basses at the moment, had a rickenbacker in there 3 weeks ago. They even have a 7 string bass at the moment - and about 5 times as many guitars as bass'.
I'd go with a 2012 Gibson LPJ or 2013 Gibson LPM .. Now the finishes aren't the best but I think those would be a great place to start. And for amp maybe a Vox Valvetronix?
"Lara" Epi EJ-200CE
"Nikki" Fender Blues Deluxe

"You know me, I had plans.
But they just disappeared
to the back of my mind."

"Jessi" Airline H78
"Cara" Fender Tele w/ Bigsby
"Hayley" Gibson Les Paul
Quote by prof_fate
The 'best' guitar will be whatever the poster himself bought. Or the one the guitar store is trying to sell the most.

Guitar wise you have basic choices- 'les paul' or 'strat' - aka, dual humbuckers or single coil. Get the 'style' your fave sounds come from.

Cheap vs good...Been down both roads. I have a dean that is fantastic and played a fender jazz (i play bass, my kids guitar) that was crap - maybe a good lutier setup would fix it, hard to say.

My daughter has a $120 strat copy, you can find squier strats for $90 on christmas sales right now. The cheap copy has better bits on it that the low end squier. Resale value will be nothing where a true squier will have more (should you want to upgrade one day). Plays and sounds great (or i'd not have boought it).

Got my son a washburn elec with all sorts of goodies on it...on clearance. Sounds great also. Is it 4 times better than the cheapo strat copy? Hey, if it makes YOU feel better and play more, then yes.

Would a $250 epi LP copy do that? An LTD brand (seems to be a good inexpensive brand) do that for less?

A 'better' instrument will be easier to play, sound better, last longer, be easier to get your money out of it later should you want/ need to.

Amp is going to be trickier. Just about everyone online will tell you get a tube amp. It's your money.... SS is cheaper, never needs tubes (which do degrade over time like strings) is lighter and can do more.

30-60w range should be great. Fender Mustangs are great amps, can emulate very well lots of diff sounds too. The 3 or 4 would last you a long time. The 5 is overkill but if you want to 'be hendrix' you can get feedback like he did - walk up the speakers and shake it baby (but don't expect to hear much the rest of the day!)

Best thing is BE PATIENT - go to stores weekly or so and play differ guitars (new and used) through different amps and see what you like.

The local stores here get used guitars in all the time - local GC has two fender jazz basses at the moment, had a rickenbacker in there 3 weeks ago. They even have a 7 string bass at the moment - and about 5 times as many guitars as bass'.

Thanks for your comment. Very helpful.

Have a great Christmas
Quote by Spambot_2
Dunnow, The xavieres are better than any epi I tried.

maybe, i haven't tried the xavieres, I just assumed they were pretty cheap. if they're good, then that's ok. big problem is you have to get them from gfs, far as i'm aware. if you're not in the USA you're pretty much stuck with it (I think) if you don't like it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?